Remember that Type R that you ordered for Summer pickup? Yeah, it's here - come get it off our lot.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Frankly, yes. With 265 width, if there is any sort of ponding/standing water, my car feels like it wants to hydroplane/skim over instead of plow through. Manifests itself as a slight tug and lightening of the steering.

But I still drive regular speeds - it just means I'm more aware of puddles, I keep a steady hand on the wheel and I'm light on the throttle at speed.
Thats exactly how it feels, mostly on the rear end. Im right now at 23k miles and my tires will be due for change in summer. Since in summer I will go to oem wheels with 255/35/20 Toyo T1R's to enjoy traction next winter I will use 255/35/19 for all seasons or winter tires.

***My current tire setup was an experiment of (will I get more or about the same grip as the Oem tires on a straight line) the answer was yes but only while the car was stock. After the downpipe was installed, traction sucked.
Sponsored

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
Fair. I don't think that I've ever hit a decent puddle at speed without having the wheel tugged to the side. I think that I'm more concerned over issues with hydroplaning on the highway at 60+ when driving over normal wet pavement. I've never run tires this wide before - any concerns in those conditions?
If you want a dedicated set of wheels and tires for cold/inclement weather then the narrower the better. If you are trying to get wide wheels now, then maybe use them as summers later then that's a different story. Purely bad weather wheels, I'd stick to 8.5 wide wheels for sure.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Fair. I don't think that I've ever hit a decent puddle at speed without having the wheel tugged to the side. I think that I'm more concerned over issues with hydroplaning on the highway at 60+ when driving over normal wet pavement. I've never run tires this wide before - any concerns in those conditions?
Nah, I drive that all the time. It's fine.

PAX CTR

Just another CW CTR
First Name
Pax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '02 EP3, '89 EF7
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wondering, if you don't take delivery of it now.. wouldn't they still owe you one in the summer? Since you ordered for a summer pickup? I've never ordered a car before so I'm not familiar with what kind of agreements or contracts go into it. I've bought all my cars off the lot same day.

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
19" Motegi MR924 in black is less than $1000 for four from Tire Rack and nearly as light as the Titans. My Indy500 tires were cheaper in 255/35/19 than 265/35/18 if you can believe that. Don't know about pricing for winter tires. Winter tires are as much about temperature range as actually driving on snow. They will be at proper operating temperature sooner when you start driving.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Just wondering, if you don't take delivery of it now.. wouldn't they still owe you one in the summer? Since you ordered for a summer pickup? I've never ordered a car before so I'm not familiar with what kind of agreements or contracts go into it. I've bought all my cars off the lot same day.
In this case, I'd imagine that if I let this one go, I'd have to wait for the next one of this color to come in (unclear when). I'd also have to take the hit on any additional depreciation on my trade in. There's also always the possibility that they'd decide that I'm making this favor they're doing for me on the pricing too difficult, and ask me to pay a markup on a future car. Until you sign to take delivery on the car, there no guarantees.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
It looks like you're correct. Not sure why the mobile site on Tire Rack said otherwise, but the desktop site has them.

Between the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the ExtremeContact DWS, would everyone say that the preference is the ExtremeContact? They appear to be cheaper, though some reviews seem to laud the Pilot Sport as being a bit better (with both being good overall).
I would say DWS if you're going to be encountering snow. The tread just seems more suited for it and I used DWS on my old TL around Mammoth Lakes in the winter.

If the roads are clear, and its just cold, the michelins would probably be better.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If I may ask - after reading up, I was under the impression that wider tires gave better traction. It seems that this may not be the case though. Would someone please help me understand the advantages/disadvantages of the wider tires?

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
It's definitely a fair point. In this case, a used PRL intercooler and intake would be worth around $700-ish, HID's maybe $70-ish. I also have a set of the Honda Access JDM Yellow LED Fogs that are 100% going on my R, so those have to come off while the bumper's off as well.

I'll likely leave the shifter bushings on though, because they're just not worth the hassle.
Stop browsing the forums. Get off your phone.

Get to work in the garage! Bring a space heater!

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Stop browsing the forums. Get off your phone.

Get to work in the garage! Bring a space heater!
Have a friend's garage space reserved for this Saturday. It's going to be a marathon for sure!

Right now I'm mostly trying to determine whether I can get away with running 255/35/19 or 265/35/19 without rubbing on the Titan 7 TS5's. One poster seems to feel that he rubbed intermittently, while another point out that the Spoon FK8 was running 19" Titan 7's without issue. I could also downsize the sidewall to 265/30/19, which I'm thinking should be ok, but I'm worried that I'll be stuck with the same rubber band style tires as stock.

Titan's aside, any recommendations for nice looking, very affordable wheels that I can use to tide me over until summer? Preferably black?

There's just not enough time to do all the research that I need to do, and it's stressing me out.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
I was looking for the same thing and went with 18x9.5 Motegi MR133's with DWS06's. The wheels were reasonable and look good with the car. I like the DWS06's for the most part, they are okay in the snow and cold and pretty good everywhere else.
Honda Civic 10th gen Remember that Type R that you ordered for Summer pickup? Yeah, it's here - come get it off our lot. A5R5_1_201711291395626206

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just take the stuff off the Si and bring the CTR home already, a front wheel drive Civic is fine in the snow.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If I may ask - after reading up, I was under the impression that wider tires gave better traction. It seems that this may not be the case though. Would someone please help me understand the advantages/disadvantages of the wider tires?
Thinner harder tires will bite and dig into the snow better.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
In dry weather, you'll get more traction for sure. If I'm not mistaken, if you're trying to expel snow or rain from underneath your tires, you'll have to move those out a further distance (laterally) with wider tires. Granted the tread pattern will also make a bigger difference as well in this regard. Last thing is that thinner tires physically do apply more pressure than wider tires (smaller contact patch with same weight = more pressure).

Just take the stuff off the Si and bring the CTR home already, a front wheel drive Civic is fine in the snow.
This is the optimal solution, but unfortunately not everyone can create free time willy nilly like the dealership is asking. If I were the OP, I'd consider asking the dealership to give him until Sunday or Monday so he can take the parts off his car over the weekend when he has time or something along those lines. If he asks for an extension like this and explains why, I'm sure the dealership won't have an issue with it.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Look at konig ampliform which usually run around $800 for the set.

Honda Civic 10th gen Remember that Type R that you ordered for Summer pickup? Yeah, it's here - come get it off our lot. B64AA8C6-C0FF-4C6C-A5BD-EAF76F015234
Sponsored