Refreshed 2020 Civic Type R, here it is!

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Glad to see they heard the airflow complaints from enthusiasts opted for bigger grill opening. Its the one thing i was considering upgrading and now it could be to another oem part.
Sponsored

y4ngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB CTR
Country flag
How'd you like your S3? Test drove one today and enjoyed the drive. The only downside is the rear seat legroom is probably too small. With driver's seat adjusted where I'd want it, when I sat in the back, my knees touched.
I like it, I only use my back seat for my dog. The tech package is nice.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Glad to see they heard the airflow complaints from enthusiasts opted for bigger grill opening. Its the one thing i was considering upgrading and now it could be to another oem part.
But it’s not actually fixing anything!!! A turbo can see operating temps of 1400F+. Adding a few square inches of opening on the front will not cause drastic improvements. You’re literally spending a couple hundred bucks on an oem piece that will not net you much improvement. You likely wouldn’t notice any improvement.

The problem is the AC condenser up front, the tight engine bay packing, the no air flow from underneath, etc.

It’s one thing if you want the look of the new grill. Then by all means, scoop one up. But in terms of heat management, it’s like throwing a water balloon at a forest fire.

SSchmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman R, E30 M3
Country flag
You might be right, but we really don't know what they've done to improve cooling, right? Higher flow water pump, different baffling, thicker radiator, etc. Could be many improvements and not just better air flow. At least I'm hoping that's the case.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You might be right, but we really don't know what they've done to improve cooling, right? Higher flow water pump, different baffling, thicker radiator, etc. Could be many improvements and not just better air flow. At least I'm hoping that's the case.
I feel like if Honda did this, they would have put it into their press release.

SSchmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman R, E30 M3
Country flag
Press release just says bigger opening to improve cooling, it appears. Let's hope it works better. I hope to let y'all know on my first track day!

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Press release just says bigger opening to improve cooling, it appears. Let's hope it works better. I hope to let y'all know on my first track day!

What he said, bigger opening better airflow. Its been proven and discussed back and forth here, so lets net keep that going, that a "more opened" front grill improved temps at the track. No one's saying "drastic" as i don't think anything could be done to this car to drastically improve anything.

Just pointing out that Honda listened and did something about it and i much more prefer to change a part for an oem improved version than aftermarket.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
How does a larger front grill lead to thoughts of other redesigned things? I don’t get it...

Anyway, it would’ve been announced and historically Honda has never made ancillary changes to powertrains like you’re desperately hoping for.

SSchmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman R, E30 M3
Country flag
I read "improved cooling" in one review. That could mean a whole bunch of things that I'm desperately :)confused:) hoping for. Later in the press release it says "larger grille opening", so maybe that's all they did.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
But it’s not actually fixing anything!!! A turbo can see operating temps of 1400F+. Adding a few square inches of opening on the front will not cause drastic improvements. You’re literally spending a couple hundred bucks on an oem piece that will not net you much improvement. You likely wouldn’t notice any improvement.

The problem is the AC condenser up front, the tight engine bay packing, the no air flow from underneath, etc.

It’s one thing if you want the look of the new grill. Then by all means, scoop one up. But in terms of heat management, it’s like throwing a water balloon at a forest fire.
Must be nice to know it all.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Must be nice to know it all.
I'm sorry reality doesn't agree with your perceptions.

Have you not followed the countless cooling threads? Did you not see the one were a forum member was running on the track without a hood and still overheated anyway?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I read "improved cooling" in one review. That could mean a whole bunch of things that I'm desperately :)confused:) hoping for. Later in the press release it says "larger grille opening", so maybe that's all they did.
If they did any more I'd assume they would have put it in the press release.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
So are the 2019s all sold out across the U.S.? I'm desperately trying to pay my car off so I can own it free and clear.
Sponsored