Refreshed 2020 Civic Si

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TBH I'd be happy with the LED headlamps, fogs and rims. The rest I don't really care for, though the vents look better IMO. Maybe I'll buy those vents and replace them from my 2019 and just swap the fog lamps while I do that.
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Lots of justification from current owners. I think the 2020 is lots better. Gearing, nicer wheels, Sensing. Win and upgrades all around.
Debatable:
More aggressive gearing for 2 less mpgs but more 'acceleration feel'? I'll have to wait until some actual instrumented tests to decide if this is a "win".
Styling is subjective. But I think the chrome window trim on the 2020s now looks out of place.
Why would I buy a manual-transmission, Civic Si, if I wanted it to brake, steer, and accelerate for me? If I wanted my car to do all the work for me through Honda Sensing I would have gone with an automatic EX or ILX. More stuff to break down the line as well.
The additional features on the 2020 definitely outweigh the small price increase, but it's by no means a superior update for everyone.

Last edited:

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Debatable:
More aggressive gearing for 2 less mpgs but more 'acceleration feel'? I'll have to wait until some actual instrumented tests to decide if this is a "win".
Styling is subjective. But I think the chrome window trim on the 2020s now looks out of place.
Why would I buy a manual-transmission, Civic Si, if I wanted it to brake, steer, and accelerate for me? If I wanted my car to do all the work for me through Honda Sensing I would have gone with an automatic EX or ILX. More stuff to break down the line as well.
The additional features on the 2020 definitely outweigh the small price increase, but it's by no means a superior update for everyone.

You do you, homey.
Honda sensing can save your butt in a situation out of your control. I had some guy blow through a parking lot and way above a safe speed. The sensing went berserk and I jumped on the brakes, avoiding him. If I had been in the Type R, he would've creamed me, and it would have likely been my fault.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Sensing is fully defeatble no?

The hatchback Sport also has lower gas mileage, at least compared to my 2017. Could be just EPA changes.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
You do you, homey.
Honda sensing can save your butt in a situation out of your control. I had some guy blow through a parking lot and way above a safe speed. The sensing went berserk and I jumped on the brakes, avoiding him. If I had been in the Type R, he would've creamed me, and it would have likely been my fault.
If you needed the sensing to avoid a situation it was beyond your control and couldn't have been your fault... Unless you're admitting to being a negligent driver.

Beyond that, I saw a 2020 Civic Sport with the new flat plastic inserts (vs. the fake vent inserts) and I would take the fake vent inserts 10/10 times. The new flat inserts look f****g disgusting.

The only true upgrade on the 2020 Si is the addition of the new, improved LED headlights. Everything else is a downgrade or noise.

Last edited:

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe and 2019 Nissan Kicks
Country flag
Before I had my Si, I had a toyota with every safety option, cross traffic, pedestrian monitoring, braking, lane control, radar cruise, etc. I had for a year and in that whole year that I had it, the only real option I thought was valuable was the blind spot monitor and the rear cross traffic alert. The rest I did not use or really need as an alert and oriented driver. The Si has the rt hand camera which is better than blind spot monitoring. I never once used my cruise control. So i believe when people say its not anything they will miss. I personally would have to see the red in the seats on the 20 in comparison to my 19 as the pictures give it a diffused color that looks pinkish. So far I like my 19 wheels better than the black ones now on the 20. Further, while I like the brightness of the LED lights, I do not like the look of the physical housing with the diamond cut look. I prefer how the projectors looks physically, even if their capabilities are inferior. I do not have buyers remorse with having bought my 19.

Bradyy91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI
Country flag
Can't all the Honda Sensing stuff be turned off? Even if you can't, I'm not sure how obtrusive it would be with every day driving. I bet the final drive ratio is going to make the car feel quicker, why else would they do it? I think the looks are subject to opinion of course, but a lot of people seem to be upset about the $50 bumper inserts that you could easily swap yourself. Much cheaper than spending $1,000 on OEM LED headlights. As for the fuel economy, you're talking a whopping 2 MPG difference. Still getting great gas mileage considering the type of car this is. If your argument is that you'd rather have 2 more MPG than better feeling performance, I'm afraid you bought the wrong type of car.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Can't all the Honda Sensing stuff be turned off? Even if you can't, I'm not sure how obtrusive it would be with every day driving. I bet the final drive ratio is going to make the car feel quicker, why else would they do it? I think the looks are subject to opinion of course, but a lot of people seem to be upset about the $50 bumper inserts that you could easily swap yourself. Much cheaper than spending $1,000 on OEM LED headlights. As for the fuel economy, you're talking a whopping 2 MPG difference. Still getting great gas mileage considering the type of car this is. If your argument is that you'd rather have 2 more MPG than better feeling performance, I'm afraid you bought the wrong type of car.
Those $50 bumper inserts are $50... each.

You're gonna spend $200 to undo a bad cosmetic refresh on a brand new car?

Maybe you could get lucky and find someone with a 2017-2019 that would swap you.

Last edited:

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
I've been thinking about the 2020 changes, and the shorter final drive ratio might have been implemented partly to reduce turbo lag. If the rpm increase more quickly, the turbo should spool up more quickly, and it should feel stronger at lower speeds. This would cure one of my main issues with the Si: the totally gutless feel below about 30 mph. I'm not sure it's worth the mpg hit, but it should improve driving feel to some degree.

I'm definitely in favor of Sensing. We have a Forester with Subaru's EyeSight system, and while the lane departure warnings can be annoying sometimes, overall it's fine. Plus, the lane departure alerts have been good for my daughter as she's learned to drive.

I might end up with an Si sooner than I thought, because it looks like my brother might be moving back to the U.S. after 21 years overseas, and I might contribute my 2010 TSX to the reintegration cause.

Bradyy91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI
Country flag
Those $50 bumper inserts are $50... each.

You're gonna spend $200 to undo a bad cosmetic refresh on a brand new car?

Maybe you could get lucky and find someone with a 2017-2019 that would swap you.
It's honestly not that bad and I think it will grow on a lot of people, especially on the darker colors. I personally don't mind it. But I was pointing out that it seems to be everyones major cosmetic complaint and it's something that could be fixed relatively cheaply. It would also be $200 for a Sedan, $100 for a coupe since those didn't change.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
So how much would it cost to retro LEDs
I thought the OEM LEDs were like 2-3k?

Bradyy91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI
Country flag
So how much would it cost to retro LEDs

I thought the OEM LEDs were like 2-3k?
I'm not sure. My point was that people are willing to spend that much on a headlight swap, but can't spend the couple hundred to swap the bumper inserts.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
If you needed the sensing to avoid a situation it was beyond your control and couldn't have been your fault... Unless you're admitting to being a negligent driver.

Beyond that, I saw a 2020 Civic Sport with the new flat plastic inserts (vs. the fake vent inserts) and I would take the fake vent inserts 10/10 times. The new flat inserts look f****g disgusting.

The only true upgrade on the 2020 Si is the addition of the new, improved LED headlights. Everything else is a downgrade or noise.
It’s for advance warning for safety, nothing more. Guy was going way too fast in a parking lot. Couldn’t see him around the SUV next to me. Edged back, sensing went off, I stopped and he whizzed by. Potential crisis averted.

Glad you like your 2019. No need to be ethug with your opinion.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
It’s for advance warning for safety, nothing more. Guy was going way too fast in a parking lot. Couldn’t see him around the SUV next to me. Edged back, sensing went off, I stopped and he whizzed by. Potential crisis averted.

I like the 2020 refresh. I just have to see it in person before saying just how nice the refresh really is. I like the LEDs, Seats, Red decoration on the dash and even the vents grew on me a little. I'm still a little on the fence with the rims. On the computer the old ones look slightly better. If the car runs a better time with the new gearing.. I like that a lot too. The car just needed to be a little faster out of the box imho. At least faster than older gens. Some of the 8th and early 9th gens ran better times. And to be honest, this car doesn't feel as fast as my stock RSX-S was in a straight line either. Thats my only disappointment with this car. Grant it the thing only has 1500 miles on it and hasn't broken in yet. And it's a different power-band I'm not use to. In the vtecs you tacked it out as far as you could to extract every bit of horespower out of the engine. In this one it almost seems like you want to shift early instead.

Last edited:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag

No ethugging, I'm sincerely interested to hear you explain how a situation beyond your control makes you at fault?

I understand if you want the safety net of the Honda sensing in the event you miss something, forget to look, misjudge someone's speed, etc but all of these things are completely under your control as a driver.
Sponsored