amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
As I mentioned in a previous post, I sent in my oil a little more than a week ago for an analysis to Oil Analyzers and received the report this morning. They have requested the product name, which I have sent to them. If someone can help me interpret this report, it would be great. A few things I want to add first:

The oil has 7000 miles on it, not 5000 as stated on the report (I have sent in the corrected miles)

I drove the car less than 10 minutes to my mechanic in cold weather when I took it for the oil change, so fuel dilution might be slightly high due to not fully warming up

Before he changed the oil he may have only idled it briefly to warm it up

There was a lot of hard driving over the 7000 miles in both extremely hot and cold conditions with at least two 800 mile trips at high speeds in harsh conditions

The oil in this sample is Idemitsu 0W20 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil

Any help in interpreting this report is appreciated

Honda Civic 10th gen Received Oil Analysis, need help interpreting it Oil Analyzers Report.JPG
Sponsored

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I have attached mine from Blackstone Labs as a reference point. They said my car is doing fine (even with a more aggressive tune and power numbers).

Next time you get an analysis done, I recommend using Blackstone. They provide actual commentary so you can decipher what the data means.

Honda Civic 10th gen Received Oil Analysis, need help interpreting it Type R Oil Analysis at 12614 miles 01.25.2019

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have attached mine from Blackstone Labs as a reference point. They said my car is doing fine (even with a more aggressive tune and power numbers).

Next time you get an analysis done, I recommend using Blackstone. They provide actual commentary so you can decipher what the data means.

Type R Oil Analysis at 12614 miles 01.25.2019.jpg
Thank you, I definitely like the Blackstone report better. It looks like from my report wear metals and contaminants are low, but fuel dilution is a bit high. I don't know if that is because I drove it a short distance to the mechanic (about 10 minutes) so it did not get a chance to burn off the excess fuel.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Apparently Oil Analyzers only comments in the notes section when they flag something as being off. In my case everything is fine except fuel dilution is a little bit high, but the oil is still good and has more life left. A rep from Oil Analysers told me the fuel dilution should go down on the next report. All in all, the oil held up very well with 20% left on the MM, very hard driving under sometimes very stressful conditions (plus 100 degree F, high speed, mixed city/hwy, mountain roads etc.)

minitech

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI 4 door
Country flag
Here is mine running 5w30 in the fall/winter, you can see how much it thinned out after less the 3k miles. 5w20 is where is landed on viscosity from the fuel distillation.

Honda Civic 10th gen Received Oil Analysis, need help interpreting it Blacksstone18 CIVIC SI-181229cc (1)

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here is mine running 5w30 in the fall/winter, you can see how much it thinned out after less the 3k miles. 5w20 is where is landed on viscosity from the fuel distillation.

Blacksstone18 CIVIC SI-181229cc (1).jpg
From your report I don't think there is any concern, it looks good. I would not worry about the oil thinning, I went over 7K miles on 0W20, lots of hard driving in various temps and harsh conditions and my oil was fine. Fuel dilution was on the moderate level, but I could have gone 2 or 3K more before changing my oil

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
This is why I recommend against Polaris (aka Oil Analyzers). They are highly accurate/technical, but don't do additional interpretation to let a common user know what it all means. For an average enthusiast, I think Blackstone is a better choice.

That said, now that you know what to look for, you're better off staying with a single UOA vendor to ensure future readings stay consistent and help you look for variables.

Next steps: I'd recommend contacting the owner of this thread to have it added to the 1.5T database:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is why I recommend against Polaris (aka Oil Analyzers). They are highly accurate/technical, but don't do additional interpretation to let a common user know what it all means. For an average enthusiast, I think Blackstone is a better choice.

That said, now that you know what to look for, you're better off staying with a single UOA vendor to ensure future readings stay consistent and help you look for variables.

Next steps: I'd recommend contacting the owner of this thread to have it added to the 1.5T database:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/
Yes, I had to call their technical support to assist me in interpreterting it. I will contact the owner of the thread you provided and have it added

minitech

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI 4 door
Country flag
Agreed on Blackstone they give feedback that i can understand,
i have used them for years, i am now running 0w20 Pennzoil Platinum and will get it tested at 5k to see how it is doing.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agreed on Blackstone they give feedback that i can understand,
i have used them for years, i am now running 0w20 Pennzoil Platinum and will get it tested at 5k to see how it is doing.
I would wait 5 to 10 percent oil life on the mm, I have seen reports of people going almost 10k and there is still some life left. I can tell you 5k your oil will still be like a virgin!
Sponsored