erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Took mine into a dealer near me, service tech told me it was “normal winter sounds”. When I showed him the Candian service notice he said it only applies there and he would not follow anything except US based claims. I will be taking my car to a different dealer next weekend:(.
Sponsored

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si / 1972 Gran Torino 351CJ-4V
So I took my Canadian Si to the dealership. The TSB doesn't apply to my VIN range (seriously 100 above the VIN range) anyway, idiot tech reported it was the car seat rattle. Ok so did they isolate the child seat? Take it out? Because it's two very distinct sounds. I didnt report a rattle, its a CLUNK over bumps in the cold.

I am taking it in again, and will update everyone. This time I am taking EVERYTHING out (car seat, anything in trunk), and bringing the service manager with me (friend of mine). Fans off, music off, oh you'll hear it. Very annoying clunk.

If they refuse to fix under warranty, I'll buy the revised parts myself and do it myself.

D

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the dealer getting them replaced as I type this. It was diagnosed last week when it was about 10 deg. F. Anything above 25 deg. F and the noise would go away.

Below are side by side pictures. New part ...A02 part number is on the LEFT. Takeoff from my car is on the RIGHT.

There is no discernable part number on either to clearly identify them either which is strange. The technician and I think it may just be a change to the rubber isolator on the inside that could be a softer rubber or something.

20180110_121424.jpg

20180110_121433.jpg
Did the technician do the markings? Where the friction is?

diegogud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Keep me informed what they say. I'll be making on next week. As well as an annoying rattle at 2k rpm in the headliner.
I took my Si 2017 with only 1500 km to the dealer and they changed the rear suspension, both because they were completely broken. After 3 days, the noise is back. I was wondering if I can take my money back.

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took my Si 2017 with only 1500 km to the dealer and they changed the rear suspension, both because they were completely broken. After 3 days, the noise is back. I was wondering if I can take my money back.
Wow...

fastSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type-R 2018 CW #13019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shock completely broken!!! That's strange...

We never change the shocks ..its the top plate bushing...if they just replaced the shocks...you will always here the noise....

lucke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe, 2007 LBP S2000, 2017 MLP CR-V Touring
I heard the clunk this morning as well, first time hearing it. It was 45F in Southern California this morning when started driving to work. Car was sitting outside since 6pm last night, and I heard the clunk going over a speed bump in my condo community (going over the speed bumps straight made no sound, but angling over did).

not too worried about it, but if it's a defective part, then I'd like to get it taken care of

T00fair

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've been noticing this noise now for the last few weeks. It's dipped to -10 F here in Maine and it's VERY apparent. This morning on my way to work at 15F it is also very obvious. Very annoying. Glad I'm not going crazy tho

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Me too....19 degrees here in MA. I don't drive it in the snow or salty roads so I took her out today because the roads are clear. Definitely heard the noise on bumps. It was loud like something was banging in the trunk. It seems to have gone away after driving a bit and everything warmed up.

RickDick

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CIVIC SI 2017 Sedan
Country flag
Had mine replaced on Friday morning (Service Bulletin)...

This Morning in Québec it is -25 degres....NO MORE NOISE!!! Hee Haaa
I wanted to know if you still heard noise since the change of the two damper mounting base because I have a civic SI 2017 and the rear suspension has been clunking over bumps since the beginning of winter and I was doing a road test with the honda technician. Since the problem is heard just in cold weather and it does it even harder when it's -30 degrees celcius, it changed me both damper mounting base, both damper cap and both bump stop. But yesterday it was -10 degrees Celsius in Montreal and it always makes the same noise. I returned to Honda to have it heard again from a Honda technician and he called Honda Tech Line to find out if he knows the problem I have. Next Tuesday they have to do more tests to see if it comes from the rear suspension.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wanted to know if you still heard noise since the change of the two damper mounting base because I have a civic SI 2017 and the rear suspension has been clunking over bumps since the beginning of winter and I was doing a road test with the honda technician. Since the problem is heard just in cold weather and it does it even harder when it's -30 degrees celcius, it changed me both damper mounting base, both damper cap and both bump stop. But yesterday it was -10 degrees Celsius in Montreal and it always makes the same noise. I returned to Honda to have it heard again from a Honda technician and he called Honda Tech Line to find out if he knows the problem I have. Next Tuesday they have to do more tests to see if it comes from the rear suspension.
Which dealership in Montreal did you bring it to?
I'm going on Monday to Honda Lombardi to get this problem looked at.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 FR-S, 2016 RAV4 Hybrid
Country flag
I started experiencing this clunking sound when we had a temperatures around single digits F in MA earlier this month. I've heard it this week at 18F as well, but it's not as apparent at that point.

My second gen Prius would make horrible clunking sounds in the front once the temperature went below 45F. The mechanics could never find anything wrong.

It doesn't get that cold here that often. This winter has been more of the exception than the norm. If this is purely a sound issue and the damper mounting base is not in any danger of abnormal wear or tear, then I'm inclined to not try to get it replaced anytime soon. I don't want to risk the possibility of a technician screwing something else up. If the TSB gets expanded to the US, then I might reconsider, but I'd probably wait until I have actual suspension work that needs to be done.