Rear Suspension Clunking

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
My 2018 has a Nov 2017 production date and does not have this issue (yet). Though it only has <400 miles on it, this past week has had several cold days and I have been running with no stereo on in order to listen for problems.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I also have the issue in 2017 Si Coupe, but I'm going along with the others that say the cold is to blame (until I find that it isn't) as there are all kinds of rattles and noises that aren't there once everything expands a bit. I can vaguely recall having a very similar cold weather thump in my 1996 Civic as well... Cold does weird things. If anyone can find ways to eliminate all the rattles I'd love to hear them (mine's not bad yet but I have enough experience with Honda to know).

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
I have the exact same sound in mine, although since I bought it almost two weeks ago its been cold everyday and has always made the sound. It's at the dealer now getting checked out for it as well as a passenger side dash rattle.

that would drive me INSANE. Oh my god, if this happens on my Si coupe its going straight to service.

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Update, they fixed my dash rattle ended up being the hood prop and bracket. Odd but makes sense. However now they are saying they don't hear the rear strut noise which makes sense because its much warmer here in ohio now. They had contacted the tech line and I showed them the bulletin from this thread. The tech line had them check a few things which all looked good. Said to keep driving it for a while and they would keep an eye out for a bulletin here in the US.

Ziaro7

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I Brought mine in today for the rear clunking noise by appointment, but naturally with this week being much warmer the noise went away, and nothing could be done. They did at least offer that when it does get colder again, if the noise comes back i can bring it right up and they will throw a tech in the car to listen for it, no appointment needed. The service guy said the Canada bulletin was helpful, but there wasn't one posted yet for the U.S. cars, and nothing was heard about it at the Cleveland Honda Dealership I went to.

I'm glad its gone for the moment, but it was just depressing to listen to the past two weeks.

turbo340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
At the dealer getting them replaced as I type this. It was diagnosed last week when it was about 10 deg. F. Anything above 25 deg. F and the noise would go away.

Below are side by side pictures. New part ...A02 part number is on the LEFT. Takeoff from my car is on the RIGHT.

There is no discernable part number on either to clearly identify them either which is strange. The technician and I think it may just be a change to the rubber isolator on the inside that could be a softer rubber or something.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Suspension Clunking 20180110_121424

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Suspension Clunking 20180110_121433

ChrisSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan, 2009 Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the rear clunking again today. It seems to crop up in the -15 to -20C range if I was to guess. It also seems to reduce slightly as the car gets to optimal operating temps. Does anyone think this could be the adaptive damper fluid not playing nice with the cold?
Totally dredging up an old post in this thread, but I thought I'd point out that the Si doesn't use adaptive fluid (rheomagnetic) in it's two mode dampers. Just an electronic valve to change damping rate.

Apeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic SiR, 2017 Civic Si Sedan(MSM)
Country flag
Totally dredging up an old post in this thread, but I thought I'd point out that the Si doesn't use adaptive fluid (rheomagnetic) in it's two mode dampers. Just an electronic valve to change damping rate.
OK cool thanks

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
I'm 429. Gonna get it fix at next oil change . . .
Sponsored