prefontaine

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan, Lunar Silver
Country flag
Relative newbie for moding stuff like this. My Si is a daily driver, but I want to upgrade the RMM. I understand the Type R will work? After reading multiple threads, I am leaning towards the Type R, Hardrace, or Hasport 62. I have the Type R subframe brace already that I want to install at the same time. Any definative guidance?
Sponsored

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Relative newbie for moding stuff like this. My Si is a daily driver, but I want to upgrade the RMM. I understand the Type R will work? After reading multiple threads, I am leaning towards the Type R, Hardrace, or Hasport 62. I have the Type R subframe brace already that I want to install at the same time. Any definative guidance?
Type R will work, but difference it makes IDK.
I do enjoy my 27won RMM!:thumbsup:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I could be wrong but I doubt the CTR mount will be much different .. Especially compared to an aftermarket solution.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Hey everyone, was just curious if anyone here is running the Hardrace rear motor mount (link provided below), been looking to upgrade but don't want the noise and vibration. Hey I want my cake and want to eat it too! haha.

http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=3677

Also available for sale here: https://www.heeltoeauto.com/mounts-...2016-honda-civic-1.5-turbo-8722-har.8722.html
My Review

I installed my HardRace RMM a little over two weeks ago and I've put about 700 miles on it. Here's my impressions.

What I lost.

Before, with the factory RMM, I felt like my Si had a smooth and elegant acceleration. That is now gone. The sensation is now a very subtle throbbing of power. If you have an after market exhaust, that may cause enough body vibration to mask the subtle pulsing that the HardRace RMM conveys. As a matter of fact, the guy I bought it from said that he couldn't "feel" any difference between it and the factory RMM. But I feel it.

I felt it enough that I really missed that smooth sophisticated sense of power. I am actually grieving the loss of the sensation of elegance, that is now replaced with the subtle sensation of seriousness machinery.

What I gained.

1) A consistent clutch engagement point. The feeling that as you release the clutch, the engagement point is a moving target is now gone. I thought that the vagueness of where the clutch finally bites was caused by the dual mass flywheel. I was wrong. This consistent engagement point improves the sensation of putting down power to the wheels. Before, as the load of the weight of the car was being applied, the engine would "rock" away from the load. Never quite the same each time. By keeping the engine more "upright" the engagement point became very predictable, and the power to the wheels became more uniform.

2) Throttle consistency. Before, when traveling in traffic in the same gear, as you applied power with the throttle, the engine would twist away from you and change the effective throttle position. Then when you let off the power, the engine will rock back, changing the effective throttle position yet again. This caused me to have to work to keep a consistent speed as the throttle position would shift away from where I thought I had put it. The way that the car now responds to the throttle feels a lot more "normal" and predictable.

3) More precise cruise control. There is a thread in this forum about how when you set the cruise control, that the speed immediately jumps to the speed either one mph above or one mph below where you thought you just set it. Interestingly getting the engine to sit still in its place fixed this problem too. As a matter of fact, there is a road I cruise down every day with lots of turns but only subtle hills. The cruise control on my Si used to wander as much as plus and minus three mph on that stretch of road. With the firmer motor mount, it clings to the speed I set it at, with only an occasional variation of plus or minus one mph.

4) Increased steering feel. The subtle vibration that the slightly stiffer RMM transfers from the engine to the car's frame, has a "dithering" effect that increases the road feel through the steering wheel.

5) A more serious interior "exhaust" note. The subtle pulses conveyed through the stiffer motor mount has an audio component that adds a miNUTE bass note that adds to the stock exhaust sound. This makes the engine rpm easier to hear (and feel) and makes the engine sound more powerful to the people inside the car.

I still grieve the loss of the smoothness that the car used to have, but I really do enjoy the improvement/correction to the function of the car. If you drive an Si, I would recommend this as one of the first mods that you do.

Last edited:

Nerd-Vol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Sedan, 2004 S2000
Country flag
My Review

I installed my HardRace RMM a little over two weeks ago and I've put about 700 miles on it. Here's my impressions.

What I lost.

Before, with the factory RMM, I felt like my Si had a smooth and elegant acceleration. That is now gone. The sensation is now a very subtle throbbing of power. If you have an after market exhaust, that may cause enough body vibration to mask the subtle pulsing that the HardRace RMM conveys. As a matter of fact, the guy I bought it from said that he couldn't "feel" any difference between it and the factory RMM. But I feel it.

I felt it enough that I really missed that smooth sophisticated sense of power. I am actually grieving the loss of the sensation of elegance, that is now replaced with the subtle sensation of seriousness machinery.

What I gained.

1) A consistent clutch engagement point. The feeling that as you release the clutch, the engagement point is a moving target is now gone. I thought that the vagueness of where the clutch finally bites was caused by the dual mass flywheel. I was wrong. This consistent engagement point improves the sensation of putting down power to the wheels. Before, as the load of the weight of the car was being applied, the engine would "rock" away from the load. Never quite the same each time. By keeping the engine more "upright" the engagement point became very predictable, and the power to the wheels became more uniform.

2) Throttle consistency. Before, when traveling in traffic in the same gear, as you applied power with the throttle, the engine would twist away from you and change the effective throttle position. Then when you let off the power, the engine will rock back, changing the effective throttle position yet again. This caused me to have to work to keep a consistent speed as the throttle position would shift away from where I thought I had put it. The way that the car now responds to the throttle feels a lot more "normal" and predictable.

3) More precise cruise control. There is a thread in this forum about how when you set the cruise control, that the speed immediately jumps to the speed either one mph above or one mph below where you thought you just set it. Interestingly getting the engine to sit still in its place fixed this problem too. As a matter of fact, there is a road I cruise down every day with lots of turns but only subtle hills. The cruise control on my Si used to wander as much as plus and minus three mph on that stretch of road. With the firmer motor mount, it clings to the speed I set it at, with only an occasional variation of plus or minus one mph.

4) Increased steering feel. The subtle vibration that the slightly stiffer RMM transfers from the engine to the car's frame, has a "dithering" effect that increases the road feel through the steering wheel.

5) A more serious interior "exhaust" note. The subtle pulses conveyed through the stiffer motor mount has an audio component that adds a miNUTE bass note that adds to the stock exhaust sound. This makes the engine rpm easier to hear (and feel) and makes the engine sound more powerful to the people inside the car.

I still grieve the loss of the smoothness that the car used to have, but I really do enjoy the improvement/correction to the function of the car. If you drive an Si, I would recommend this as one of the first mods that you do.

Hell of a write up. I’m not even interested in a RMM, but that added value to my day.

glossyprimerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatch MT Sonic Gray
Country flag
Pics? Part number?

Also in for feedback on the Hardrace mount. Hardened rubber will definitely be more dailyable than poly. Price doesn't seem bad at around ~$120.

Edit: Type-R mount part number: 50890-TGH-A01

Also right at $120. Hmmm. https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~torquerod~lower~50890-tgh-a01.html Based on the image (not sure how accurate it is), it doesn't appear to be made entirely of rubber like the OEM and Hardrace, but instead with a metal body and what I would assume to be rubber bushings on both ends.
Is there a part number that supersedes the number for the rear motor mount? Online Honda stores show it as discontinued.

Thoughts?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
My Review

What I lost.

What I gained.

Maybe you didn't notice this, but shifting under power is also greatly improved. Previously the rocking motion would slightly shift the gate placement making it a chore to figure out where to put the shifter.

Now, the gates are consistent and predictable. I have the Type R shifter and all the acuity upgrades, which maybe made this more obvious.

I, too, still grieve the loss of refinement and sophistication the OEM mount provided. If it wasn't for nearly every aspect of the driving dynamics being improved, I might have considered taking it back off.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Review

GREAT review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this upgrade. I simply came here to this thread because I wanted to improve my 60ft times at the dragstrip. All I was looking for were concrete numbers on before/after affects or improvements of doing this upgrade. Numbers, not just that it feels like it is putting more power down. All the talk of NVH and vibrations had me concerned.

How does all this translate to us CVT folks? Very detailed info here on the manual tranny 'feel' of this upgrade. Thanks for sharing everyone.
Sponsored