Rear Motor Mount: Wildthing, you make my heart sing...

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
Pulled the trigger on a 27Won Rear Motor Mount. After installation and driving it once for 25 minutes with my wife who didn't know about the install (hint, that's called a control group) or the actual purchase (yeah, already hiding things from the wife - not a good sign, I know).

I chose the 27Won after extensive mediocre research about all the mounts listed on CivicX: Perrin, HardRace, Hasport, Boomba, Type R, Cusco, and several others that I can't recall. Each had their nuances for price, design, stiffness, reliability, installation, support, and warranty. Plus a few unique factors. I also listened to numerous YouTube RMM videos about installation and experiences. Hoping to save you from that chore.

Why the 27Won RMM?
- Wanted maximum stiffness for a street RMM, so 90 Durometer rating (Si Owner)
- Wanted the best installation instructions which included contacting LIVE person if I had a problem.
(mobile app installation was 95% accurate, clear w/ photos & only took 1hr)
- Wanted something in demand in case I needed to replace it with something "softer" ( yeah, I said it).
- Wanted the design to be edgy with the unique characteristic of performance rather than comfort.
(Single Bushing, Shorter Length, Well Machined, Coating & Quote Nice Touches)
- Wanted reliability of product but chose reliability of company

The short & quick answer is you get what you pay for AND you get what you deserve for not doing your due diligence. -- just came up with that...if your impressed, you should stop reading now and read another thread.

After reading all the threads/posts by our community, REPEET had one of the better RMM analysis for his experience which was similar to mine:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/rear-motor-mount.25842/page-4#post-682606

What he may have left out emphasizing was the NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) you experience becomes more apparent if you ever coast your vehicle in neutral or stop at a stop light, the silence is deafening. IF increases of +25 decibel of engine noise (upon acceleration) in the cabin (with stock exhaust/intake) and some rumblings of vibration through the steering wheel, and dash/console interfere with your silence, music playing or comfort, DONT INSTALL A MOTOR MOUNT. But if you are prone to enjoying the sound, feel, and experience of a turbo vehicle then read on...

On first start of my 27Won RMM, I grinned from ear to ear like a Cheshire cat. You couldn't remove that goofy look on my face as I put the car in gear. Yeah, there was some getting to know you rumblings, noises, and vibrations (empty the change out of your console, things will sound MUCH better) but, the experience inside the car was what the little kid in you was thinking when he wished for owning a muscle car.

I played possum for the first 15 minutes of driving being very conservative, feeling the car out, getting to know where the soft, hard, and loud areas of the RPM shift points were located (you should find them yourself, all RMM are different). After stopping for groceries, we headed back with aggressive intent.... I accelerated fast, then faster. Quickly going up through gears 1-4 and back down and then up.... you get the picture. The smile on my face said "my car now feels & sounds like a wild animal". The experience is similar to riding a real horse or even a steel horse (motorcycle for you less informed), you may not get the analogy, but you get the idea. (if you dont get it) Now, the Wife never said anything about the noise, vibration, or the aggressive intent the entire ride. At the stop lights, everything gets VERY noticeably quiet, the silence is noticeable.

I hear the effect is lessened after a break in period...will update/confirm that in a few months.

I can expound about RMM comparisons of price, design, stiffness, reliability, support, installation based on my research...but... if this thread becomes fodder to the community, I 'd rather not waste your time. If its helpful, I will add the info soon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Wife didn’t notice any difference, huh? Sounds like a wife

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I would actually like to read your wife's impression of the change. If I have learned anything over the years, it's that just because they don't seem to notice something doesn't mean they don't have an opinion about it. I may or may not be considering using the same approach you used, but I'm going to sit back and see how this plays out for you first ;)

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Love the 27won RMM, but I swap it back to stock mount with the Whiteline mount insert when it gets cold here from October to March. In the winter since there's really no performance driving, and the hard plastics create a horrible racket with a stiff mount I think it's the best of both worlds solution :)

https://whitelineperformance.com/products/kdt967-trans-mount-insert

The Whiteline mount is how this car should've came is stock form. There's no audible vibrating sounds in the interior, just minor vibrations through the seat, and shiftknob that you have to pay attention to know are there. Only during engaging and setting off in reverse do you hear a very slight vibration judder which reminds you that you have the insert.

OP
OP
MONK13

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
Love the 27won RMM, but I swap it back to stock mount with the Whiteline mount insert when it gets cold here from October to March. In the winter since there's really no performance driving, and the hard plastics create a horrible racket with a stiff mount I think it's the best of both worlds solution :)

Great idea! (Too bad?) I live in Central Texas where its generally HOT 9 months out of the year and often not cold long enough to warrant RMM swap.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

The Whiteline mount is how this car should've came is stock form. There's no audible vibrating sounds in the interior, just minor vibrations through the seat, and shiftknob that you have to pay attention to know are there. Only during engaging and setting off in reverse do you hear a very slight vibration judder which reminds you that you have the insert.
Went with the Whiteline insert myself and very happy with it. Wasn't sure I wanted to go with a full mount in my daily and the Whiteline is definitely an improvement over stock feel so far.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
The 27won rmm cabin noise actually quiets down a ton after a while. It’s very “grunty” at first, like “d-d-d-d-d-d” but becomes more of a growly hum over time. Honestly kind of miss the week 1 sound. But I still love the engine tone inside the cabin. No complaints from me

j_vang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SI Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for the entertaining review! NVH was my primary concern and i'm pretty sure whatever little rattles I have will probably just get louder lol.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I, too, had a stupid grin for the first 30 minutes after my first start with the 27Won RMM.

I'll second that when it's colder in the winter the NVH is notably worse than in the summer. Although swapping my flywheel has made the winter harshness more bearable.

OP
OP
MONK13

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
***Update***

Took wife for a spin on her birthday, I only put 80 miles on it since installation. The cabin noise seems quieter a smidgen. Asked the wife about the noise and she said "yeah, sounds like sports car <manliness ego scale red lines> but its not my car..(comes back down)." During the drive she uttered the sound "WHOA" when I took a turn coming out of a parking lot - she isnt accustomed to the performance tires nor the way the Si comes out of turns, but I smiled (inwardly). During the slightly aggressive drive she didnt mention once to "slow down", "take it easy", or "whats your hurry"...

Being in Austin, Texas I had the "opportunity" to drive at 32 degrees early one morning and the very next day at 75 degrees from a cold start. In colder temps there is a bit more NVH at start up till she gets warmed up. During higher temps it was less than normal NVH even with AC running. I am enjoying the hell out the 27Won RMM so far, yeah the noise and vibration is a bit more than I like, but the FEEL & RESPONSE is well worth it. The NVH by COMPARISON to the Mustang GT I rented for a week is about the same noise wise (Mustang had exhaust noise - my Si lacks any exhaust mods) but vibration and response were much more "present" in the Si. The Mustang is like a club, big unwieldy unrefined. The Si is more like a knife, precise exact and deliberate. I wanted a race-type 90 density RMM. You will give up some NVH with a softer RMM but you also give up more vibration & response (my opinion without actual facts on softer RMM). The price difference was a hesitation. I could've purchased a similar RMM from a reputable dealer for $85 that would have been fine, but decided to try the best one I could find (based mostly on installation, design, & support). Installation was a breeze and took me about 45 min after being jacked up, the only special tools needed were a pry bar & a block of wood, and a good torque wrench but thats a given to you guys I hope.

Hope this was worth your time and provided some useful information/entertainment.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
***Update***

"sounds like sports car"
Translation: "Your car is too loud". When I removed the OEM Exhaust and installed an aFe Takeda SS Exhaust, I got that line a lot from my passengers...
Sponsored