Rear Deck Rattle in '18 Coupe

travel_light

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
So, 3 weeks into ownership and I'm loving the Si- it's a very fun car to drive!

I do have a mildly annoying issue, the rear plastic deck that covers the speakers often rattles. This typically seems to occur over semi rough roads ( being in Ct, that is 2/3rds of them ) and is more apt to happen after the car sits in the sun. Once the rattling begins, if a passenger presses their hand down on the deck it stops, and can stay stopped for a while.

I have searched this excellent forum for others with this issue and see many folks have it with other models but not the coupe, and the owner fix for that seems pretty straightforward- typically it is the 3rd brake light that rattles in the cut out, and inserting a V shaped rigid foam wedge will stop that. Others stuff a sock or strips of foam up under the rear cover from the trunk cut out to add upwards pressure and that seems to work for them. And the third fix seems to be to jam strips of foam weather stripping in between the window and the deck, to create downward pressure.

Has anyone here had this rattle problem with their Coupe? I'm torn between trying to correct this myself with foam or to take it to the dealer. If this is easily fixed by a particular placement of foam or something I may try that, but knowing where to put it would be helpful before I just start jamming foam everywhere.

With the dealer I'm afraid of wasted trips as I've read many people took it in for this issue only to be told it was fixed, and it wasn't, or that the problem couldn't be replicated or that there was no TSB for this specific issue. One forum member did get his deck replaced, the dealer told him it was "warped"...

Anyhow, thanks for reading, and if someone has a way to address this I would love to hear about it.
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I have some sort of rattling back there on my coupe. No idea where it's coming from, except that listening to high base songs does NOT trigger it.

OP
OP

travel_light

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Heavy base does trigger my rear deck to rattle, but so does uuust driving down many roads. So I dont believe it is the subwoofer issue seen often on the Touring model.
Sponsored