Rear center seat addition?

Ifestfk8

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r Civic
Yea looking to switch the rear seat bench and get the over the lap seat belt from the Civic hatchback sport Civic seeing it's the same body as the type r .just want to know if it's possible cause just got a type r but just need 5 seats for the times I have the kids at the back .
Sponsored

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
It should work, i remember reading about some woman had that done when she bought the car.

Good luck and if you do make the swap, please provide pics.

KAIJUMODE

First Name
LO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Any updates from anyone ? I know someone who has an Si sedan and willing to sell me his rear seats. Does anyone know if this will fit in my Type R?

elmerzasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Don't know about all countries, but in the EU it would be a major liability risk to travel with 5 passengers (let alone children) in a 4 person homologated vehicle, regardless of what rear bench/belts get retrofitted.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Don't know about all countries, but in the EU it would be a major liability risk to travel with 5 passengers (let alone children) in a 4 person homologated vehicle, regardless of what rear bench/belts get retrofitted.

Same in the US. Someone gets hurt or killed and insurance walks away since the car is not how it was delivered. Same scenario for those who bought a CR-Z and wanted the rest of world available back seats.

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I'd rather see a higher armrest to stick in place of the low plastic cupholder thing.

stephenmeadows

StephenMeadows
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport 1.5T 2018 Hatchback (European Spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anybody successfully retrofitted a Sport Hatch 3 person rear seat into a Type R? Obviously this would require the third centre seat belt and buckle providing there is a provision to secure it.

What about the SRS airbag ECU? Is the centre belt pyrotechnically charged?

I have three young children and that is why I originally discounted the Type R and purchased my 2018 Sport. Went to my local dealer where I purchased my Civic from yesterday for it's first 6k mile service and got talking to the Dealer Principal about the Type R. Test driving one next week so might take the plunge and get the CTR as a second weekend drive vehicle!

Stephen

Last edited:

scottjua

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Subaru STI, 2019 SGP Civic Type R
Country flag
Spoke to my insurance and they said there are no issues adding a middle seat and belt.

Score 1.

I went to look at sport hatch and it seems you need the bench and whole back upright as it has the belt integrated.

Is that the model that has the closest material match?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Spoke to my insurance and they said there are no issues adding a middle seat and belt.

Score 1.

I went to look at sport hatch and it seems you need the bench and whole back upright as it has the belt integrated.

Is that the model that has the closest material match?
If I'm not mistaken, you only have 4 selections for seats: black cloth (LX/Sport/EX), black/ivory cloth (EX), black leather (EX-L Navi/Sport Touring), black/ivory leather (EX-L Navi/Sport Touring). The rear seats in the Type R are black cloth with red stitching. I'd say that's the direction to go unless you want leather seats in the back.

If you do do this, could you update on the pricing? I'm curious about it.

DC5TLSFK9bro

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 2019
Country flag
Just stumbled upon this and I'm hella curious too if anyone had done this.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I'll be carrying the EDM rear bench for those that want to switch, but I won't have any 5th-person benches just because that seems like too much of a liability to me!
Sponsored