Rear center seat addition?

1. Nicknick43

Nicknick43 New Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    2015 Chrysler 200c
    Can anyone tell me if the rear seat in the type-r can be swamped with the standard hatchback to add in the center seat? I have two kids but occasionally need to haul 3 including my girlfriend's kid. I'm currently driving a Chrysler 200C but looking to get back into something a little bit more fun after trading in my Ford Focus ST for the Chrysler. I like the practicality of the hatchback but the fact that it's missing a center seat is a major con for this car to me

2. 17CivicTypeR_Brian

17CivicTypeR_Brian Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.

Mech Eng acting as Electrical Project Engineer
    Car(s):
    '17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
    I cannot say for sure, but I imagine if you swap out at least the rear seat bench you could seat 3. I'm not sure if the body is threaded for the seat belt buckle to bolt to the car, though, so you'll have to figure out how you want to get seat belts in there.

Nicknick43 thanked this.
  3. CincyTypeR

CincyTypeR Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
    Think reason why they excluded the rear center seat was because the maximum load is 680lbs (total weight of occupants, cargo, and accessories) per the manual. Just wanted to mention this to make you aware even though you said you have two kids and an occasional third.

Nicknick43 and 02220 thanked this.
  4. Dr_Drache

Dr_Drache Senior Member

Car(s):
    1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
    that seems super low, what is the max load of the Touring?

on saying that, I have a 90% part list - if you don't re-upholstery and a few other items - you can get this done less than $700 - i just need some support from a non-R owner first.

5. OP
    Nicknick43

Nicknick43 New Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    2015 Chrysler 200c
    #5 Nicknick43, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    $700 would be great and put this car in the running. It's either this or pony up another 10g for a Jag FPace. I def need hatch utility and can't bring myself to like the golf R's bland styling and my focus st was already a damn rough ride so the RS is a non starter as well

6. CincyTypeR

CincyTypeR Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    Page 431 of the civic hatch manual or check the spare tire and loading information label attached to the drivers doorjamb.

1.5 L Engine models 850lbs
    2.0 L Engine models 680lbs

7. Dr_Drache

Dr_Drache Senior Member

Car(s):
    those #'s seem really arbitrary - as the bigger engine doesn't actually weight (much?) more - and has more power, and the chassis is the same.

8. CincyTypeR

CincyTypeR Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    Thought it was interesting myself when reading through everything. The Type R weighs 107lbs more than the sport touring and then 295lbs more than the lx 6 speed. So my guess it is more of a chassis/safety thing and not how much power the engines have.

9. Dr_Drache

Dr_Drache Senior Member

Car(s):
    right, but if it was JUST due to the Base Curb Weight - then the #'s would be closer, and the ST and the LX 6 speed both seem to have the same weight limitations, but one weights obviously more. I wonder what the GVWT is for the Euro.

10. CincyTypeR

CincyTypeR Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    Absolutely right. Sure they did a general safe low number and also didn't want to complicate things to list each and every trim, engine, trans configuration for a specific weight loading.

11. Solis#1730

Solis#1730 ScarFace#1730

Car(s):
    Civic hatchback
    Maybe adaptive damping works best under certain loads. Also gear ratios, tire loads must play a role in its load capacity. I would think Honda specs these things out to optimize the Saftey, performance and longevity of the vehical. At the end of the day it's your property and you can do as you wish with it. My .02 cents none refundable...

12. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Member

Car(s):
    Nissan Juke, Acura TL
    You can easily exceed 680 lbs with 4 passengers.

I also have a 5 seat constraint, really bummed this didn't come with the regular 5 seat arrangement. I'm left in a similar dilemma: want to avoid VW and no other current hot hatch really compares.

Maybe they'll add a 5th seat next year.

13. Vince126

Vince126 Member

Pilot
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Car(s):
    '17 CW Type R, Volt, Lancer Evolution IX (sold)
    There have been a few online review of the CTR showing the 3rd rear seat with the seat belt as well so this is definitely do-able. SKIP TO 5:13 for example

I did some digging myself and i think I located the rear bench with the 3rd seat here

2942146.png http://hondapartsnetwork.com/assembly/48/4/3/3664/8/26666/2017-Civic-Wagon-Type-R-Touring-6-Speed-Manual-Rear-Seat-Type-R

I've been sitting back to see if anyone had ordered it to try it out already but so far no.....anyone here want to try it out? lol

Meat Hammer thanked this.
  14. baldheadracing

baldheadracing Senior Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Car(s):
    FK8
    #14 baldheadracing, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    There's no center seat belt in the video, just no cup holder insert - and a few seconds before 5:13 he says "the rear bench seats a further two ..."

Here's the three-across diagram: http://hondapartsnetwork.com/assemb...17-Civic-Wagon-Sport-6-Speed-Manual-Rear-Seat

15. odevoted

odevoted New Member

First Name:
    Ody
    Car(s):
    2001 Mercedes A190
    Good morning everyone and happy new year with lots of good health and good rides

I am new to this forum, and not (yet) a Civic owner. I am seriously looking at the new Type R.
    My caveat, as for many of us out there, is that I have 3 young boys, which makes it a no go at the moment, and i DO NOT want another car other than this one.
    Has there been any further news on this topic since the last entry?
    I live in Switzerland but may move back to my home country Greece where Insurance may be more flexible....

Thanks for any updates that one may have on this , and take care all

Ody