Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring 1.5T Sedan 2020 - Race Chip RS
Country flag
I recently bought a brand new Civic Touring 1.5T Sedan (2020) and I'm very confused.

After some tests in a good, plane, and desert Street, I found that my car takes 9 seconds on the 0-100 km, when it should be 7.5. I used a GPS equipment that I borrowed from a friend. 1.5 seconds is a big difference which can't be blamed on test precision.

I had racechip RS installed along with a sport filter and, with the chip on Race mode, I get 6.9 seconds.

What could be wrong with my car when on stock tune? Maybe gas? I use 87 octane. Maybe the engine is so new it still requires more break in? Don't know if that affects the power of the engine. I just got to the 1000 km milestone.

More information on tests conditions:
Elevation: 900 m
Air temperature: 25 C
Sponsored

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Although you can run 87 octane, you want to run at least 91 or 93 octane for optimal results. Also, I don't know how well the "Race Chip RS" actually works, but the preferred tuners for these vehicles are Hondata and KTuner.

OP
OP

Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Although you can run 87 octane, you want to run at least 91 or 93 octane for optimal results. Also, I don't know how well the "Race Chip RS" actually works, but the preferred tuners for these vehicles are Hondata and KTuner.
I know it works, but there is no doubt a plug n play chip will never beat a remap such as the KTuner and the Hondata. The thing is I have better chances of getting away if I need the warranty, and also I can take the chip with me and use in pretty much any other car brand or model, through an automatic online update.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I see you live in Brazil.

On the 1.5T KTuner product page, they mention that Honda detuned the engine for the Brazilian market. And like others have said, running 87 octane will minimize your power gains.

Plus, being 3,000 ft. above sea level doesn't help either.

Honda Civic 10th gen Really confused about my car's horsepower Screenshot_20200220-211212-01

Last edited:

OP
OP

Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see you live in Brazil.

On the 1.5T KTuner product page, they mention that Honda detuned the engine for the Brazilian market. And like others have said, running 87 octane will minimize your power gains.

Plus, being 3,000 ft. above sea level doesn't help either.

Screenshot_20200220-211212-01.jpeg
That's the first time I hear the engine was de-tuned in Brazil. I mean. Honda officially states that they're selling a car with 173cv (174hp). That is backed by multiple auto-enthusiast websites in Brazil.

https://www.honda.com.br/automoveis/civic

It would be illegal for Honda to advertise a car that doesn't have the correct output.

So I'm really not sure...

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
A lot depends on the GPS equipment you used. Most consumer GPS receivers that are used in cell phones & tablets only sample the GPS signal once per second which is not enough to get accurate readings. What did you borrow from your friend?

OP
OP

Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A lot depends on the GPS equipment you used. Most consumer GPS receivers that are used in cell phones & tablets only sample the GPS signal once per second which is not enough to get accurate readings. What did you borrow from your friend?
We used Dragy.
Even if I used a phone with 1 second delay, I'm getting a 1.5 sec difference lol

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
Isn't the Civic a flex fuel vehicle in Brazil? Why not use ethanol? I assume the stock tune in Brazil is ready for lots of ethanol.

People get great results in North America by using only at most 40% ethanol (and a tune for it).

OP
OP

Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Isn't the Civic a flex fuel vehicle in Brazil? Why not use ethanol? I assume the stock tune in Brazil is ready for lots of ethanol.

People get great results in North America by using only at most 40% ethanol (and a tune for it).
The 2.0 aspirated is flex. The turbo is gasoline only.

OP
OP

Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
True. The manual says the car will run on 87. If that's optimal, that's up for debate. Thing is Racechip customer service recommended that I try 91.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We used Dragy.
Even if I used a phone with 1 second delay, I'm getting a 1.5 sec difference lol
It would be more accurate if you used a stopwatch, those gps things are garbage.

OP
OP

Sev

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unfortunately my friend ran the car in a dyno and forgot to turn off the Racechip to make a comparison. But even with Racechip on, I got results worse than the advertised stock car.

I'll run another more complete dyno for better comparison in the next week.

Honda Civic 10th gen Really confused about my car's horsepower {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen Really confused about my car's horsepower 20200221_111341

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
If your car does the claimed times from factory , thats all done looking at alot thing like weather elevation and other factors , the ctr traps 4.9 from car and driver magazine yet nobody that has one in this forum seem to get a time of 4.9 sec 0 to 60
Sponsored