Really bad knock control?

CivicOops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I'm running the ktuner 21psi basemap on a Civic Hatchback Sport 6mt. Besides the tune my car is completely stock. And I always use 93 Octane gas from Exxon. Anyway my knock control seems to be really high and I think I can feel it too.

-Under normal highway cruising with no heavy throttle it sits at about 0.65.

-A single WOT 2nd to 4th gear pull will cause it to instantly go up to about 1.15 - 1.20.

Is this normal? I've had people tell me it's bad.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Has it been lower before and you are just now seeing these high numbers? If so, it could be a bad batch of gas. Are your ambient temps really high? Also, the base turbo models will go higher on a single WOT pull, but not that high.

As far as it being "bad", those high numbers are robbing you of power but won't cause any sort of damage.

OP
OP
CivicOops

CivicOops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Has it been lower before and you are just now seeing these high numbers? If so, it could be a bad batch of gas. Are your ambient temps really high? Also, the base turbo models will go higher on a single WOT pull, but not that high.

As far as it being "bad", those high numbers are robbing you of power but won't cause any sort of damage.
This is the first time I've looked at the numbers. I just got the car tuned a few days ago. Since then I think 0.65 knock control is the lowest I've ever seen it go and that's when im running on eco mode factory boost.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
This is the first time I've looked at the numbers. I just got the car tuned a few days ago. Since then I think 0.65 knock control is the lowest I've ever seen it go and that's when im running on eco mode factory boost.
Did someone "tune" the car (make custom adjustments for you) or is this car running just the starter 21psi map that ktuner provides?

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just a guess... it's probably hot AF right now where you live. Knock control climbs way faster in heat

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try different fuel. Unfortunately not all "93" is created equally.

OP
OP
CivicOops

CivicOops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Just a guess... it's probably hot AF right now where you live. Knock control climbs way faster in heat
It is pretty hot. Gets to 100° every day. But I did my knock testing at night when it was 85°.

OP
OP
CivicOops

CivicOops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
if you are lean knock will rise.

LTFT and STFT in your ktuner logs
Well I have these STFTB and LTFTB gauges from tunerview. Is this what you were talking about? What it's showing right now is about what it averages at.
Honda Civic 10th gen Really bad knock control? Screenshot_20190815-122938

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Try gas from a different station and see what happens. If K. Control still is high, run a datalog and post it here.

I'm fairly certain it's the gas. I had the same issue, switched stations, and all was good.

Last edited:

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Well I have these STFTB and LTFTB gauges from tunerview. Is this what you were talking about? What it's showing right now is about what it averages at.
Screenshot_20190815-122938.png
First:
Log some REAL TIME data and double check that the tuner view isn’t giving you a false read.
Second:
- Clean your MAF with ONLY “MAF Spray”
- Check that you don’t have any Vacuum leaks in your system.
Lastly: (EDIT)
Your Bank #2 looks really low. You may have a faulty injector in Cylinder 3 or 4
OR
Check your spark plugs in those cylinders.
AND
Check your O2 and Sensor connections after the CAT Converter (that is your Bank 2).
Sponsored

Last edited: