Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
If you watch YouTube review videos and read the comments (i.e., if you like to waste your time . . . though marginally more productive than "amusing yourself," as my high school French teacher used to say), you would come away with the impression that everybody thinks CTR is ugly or at least too gaudy. In fact, you'd notice that most reviews rave non-stop about CTR, but most of them complain incessantly about its appearance.

In my experience, friends and family seem to be awestruck initially. In a good way, I think. No negative comments (to my face). As for the public, I get thumbs up from Honda owners (especially Si owners), as well as WRX/STI and other performance car drivers. People who are clearly not car guys/gals provide the best reactions -- I have had several people just go absolutely bonkers upon seeing the car, like eyes wide open, mouth gaped, "holy s__t, what kind of car is that? Honda, really? WTF" Hilarious.

Can't say I have really encountered any negativity, except for my son's classmate's weird dad . . . . the f__er is dead to me. haha, not really.

So, what kind of reactions do you get every day in the real world? Generally positive or negative? Or just meh.
Sponsored

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I've had motorcyclists give me thumbs up, someone in a burger parking lot came up and ooh'ed and ahh'ed all over it and was rather nice to chat with, a dude in a very nice Ford Falcon race up just to give me the horns (which I returned because: Ford Falcon), I surprised the hell out of an AMG C43 when he tried to pull away from me at 30mph thinking he didn't have to full throttle initially to walk away (I assume? There's no way I could have kept up to him otherwise) and subsequently got a thumbs up when I stayed on his tail. My girlfriend's kids called it a race car jokingly until they realized it was, and now really like driving in it even though there's zero way I'm going to drive like a hoon with them in it on city streets.

I think people's initial response is surprise, especially if they aren't aware what the heck a Civic Type R is. Of course people are going to hate on it, and some of that will stem from the age old "my car is better" front, and some from the aesthetic alone. But I've received overwhelmingly positive responses mostly.

My only problem is the attention is weird, and I'm terrible at responding appropriately. I think I pointed up in response to someone, confused on whether to give a thumbs up or throw some horns... I still don't expect people to get excited over it and it catches me off guard.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Aside from friends giving me a hard time about it jokingly all positive. Have had an older guy follow me to a gas pump to ask about. Was adding air to the tires yesterday and had two people come up and talk to me. People in traffic giving thumbs up and stuff. My fiance is shocked because when we take out the Porsche we never get any thumbs up or questions about it.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
I get allot of positive responses. One called it a hoodlem car. Most people try to race me. I had a Prius try to race me the other day and one girl in an si flipped me off...

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
One factor to add about the surprising great welcome on the CTR is the fact (In some areas), some car enthusiast are no longer looking at the design of the car BUT the wide success the car has gotten against the competition: STI,E VO, ST, RS, GTI, Golf R all of them over all bested by the Type R.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
The first month of owning the car (July 2017), there were plenty of honks, broken necks, and thumbs up. Nowadays, it has decreased tremendously. I only get thumbs up or nods from fellow enthusiasts.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
I’m still turning heads every time I take my Type r out. I’v had pictures taken , videos as I’m driving down the rd. If I’m sitting at a red light , someone will be looking or if my window is down , they say something. It’s all positive though :thumbsup:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My three neighbors saw it and each of them looked super stoked to see a Type R in the parking lot (I definitely have the most unique car in this parking lot ;) ).

On the road nothing yet... of course I do wonder what people think when I inevitably end up stalling the car while I still learn to drive stick.
“Yo look at that Type R!”
>Light turns green
>Stalls
“Wow that guy is terrible he should get a new car”

Okay maybe not like that but I’m sure some people have shook their heads seeing a car like this stall. Screw em though, at least I have the willingness to learn.

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
I still haven't seen a type R in the wild. Come to think of it, haven't seen an Si either...

Did see a hellcat Challenger yesterday though.

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
My three neighbors saw it and each of them looked super stoked to see a Type R in the parking lot (I definitely have the most unique car in this parking lot ;) ).

On the road nothing yet... of course I do wonder what people think when I inevitably end up stalling the car while I still learn to drive stick.
>Light turns green
>Stalls

Okay maybe not like that but I’m sure some people have shook their heads seeing a car like this stall. Screw em though, at least I have the willingness to learn.
Nothing is more embarrassing than killing your car out of the service Bay at the dealer. I did this with my WRX almost every time I left that place. I think they put some voodoo curse on me, because I never killed that car in traffic...

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Mostly positive reactions, gotten thumbs ups and honks from people of all backgrounds.

Although I've started seeing more around my area, I don't feel so special anymore:(

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Only positive reactions. Most from cab-drivers, neighbors including kids, gas station employees and foreigners (people from Asia and middle east).

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

>Light turns green
>Stalls

Dude, I can assure you that you will never regret learning how to drive stick and owning a manual transmission car. Driving an automatic car, even a DSG, is so boring . . .. in my opinion. Well, at least in comparable cars.

It’s nice to know that you belong to a pretty exclusive club. . . So exclusive that supermodels take note when they see guys with dadbods driving a stick shift Fit LX.

Moreover, stick shift vehicles supposedly reduce the likelihood of car theft or carjacking. (I am not fully convinced . . . . I could see a carjacker getting frustrated and forcibly taking you to drive the car or simply shooting you).

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mostly positive reactions, gotten thumbs ups and honks from people of all backgrounds.

Although I've started seeing more around my area, I don't feel so special anymore:(
I have (very briefly) seen one (1) CTR in the wild around where I live. Just one! But I do know a few people from this forum who own one in my general vicinity.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
I've come out of stores a few times and had people taking pictures of it. I've still never seen another one in my area.
Sponsored