First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a set of winter wheels, and this will be the first year I'm looking for something other than the Conti ProContacts on my vehicle come April. I have the stock 17" rims to work with. Regardless of the choice, I do not want to give up performance, handling, or safety (wet) vs the Conti's. I only want to improve the car, and the 'budget' sense for a tire purchase is just prudence because it's still a fwd cvt'd civic I do not track.

If I stay with the 17s, I am considering going budget and getting closeout Ultra High Performance Summer Tires. Are Riken good for this goal?

Still staying with the stock rims, the other choice is Pirelli P0 Nero-GT. They appear to be the best in the stock size available from tirerack.

Outside of the stock rims, I would most likely aim for <20lb (closer to 18lb) rims. At that starting expense, I'd get the Pirelli's.

Thoughts? Recommendations? What would you do? Cheers!
Sponsored

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought my first ever set of amazing summer UHP tires a couple months ago. So I highly recommend the Michelin pilot super sport tires (new versions at P4s). They are pricey no doubt, but they are amazing. I have an Si with a ktuner and I have yet for these tires to break loose even once under any acceleration. As far as curves it's like riding on rails. So if you can dig a little deeper that's my suggestion.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're sticking with 17" wheels, look at slightly wider (225/45/17) summer tires to get better performance and more selections. The Continental ExtremeContact Sport is comparable to the Michelin P4s but at a lower cost. Obviously, don't run summer tires in the snow or below 40F:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...45WR7ECS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/continental-extreme-contact-sport/p/33435

Thank you! Setting a search in TireRack off the OE Sizes exposed the Michelin P4s. Is there any concern with going further to 235/45/17 on the stock 17" rim? Looks to be a better match to stock in terms of circumference and ride height.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you! Setting a search in TireRack off the OE Sizes exposed the Michelin P4s. Is there any concern with going further to 235/45/17 on the stock 17" rim? Looks to be a better match to stock in terms of circumference and ride height.
The limiting factor is the 7" rim width since you're sticking with 17"x7" OE wheels. Going wider than 225 may yield an undesirable "bulging" sidewall effect. 225 is a slight performance upgrade without affecting aesthetics.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...50-17X7ET45&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

Honda Civic 10th gen [Re-title] The neurotic decision making of a 1st time UHP Summer Tire Buyer upload_2019-2-25_23-48-28

First Name
Saïd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring White Pearl
Country flag
I have a set of winter wheels, and this will be the first year I'm looking for something other than the Conti ProContacts on my vehicle come April. I have the stock 17" rims to work with. Regardless of the choice, I do not want to give up performance, handling, or safety (wet) vs the Conti's. I only want to improve the car, and the 'budget' sense for a tire purchase is just prudence because it's still a fwd cvt'd civic I do not track.

If I stay with the 17s, I am considering going budget and getting closeout Ultra High Performance Summer Tires. Are Riken good for this goal?

Still staying with the stock rims, the other choice is Pirelli P0 Nero-GT. They appear to be the best in the stock size available from tirerack.

Outside of the stock rims, I would most likely aim for <20lb (closer to 18lb) rims. At that starting expense, I'd get the Pirelli's.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S if you find a good deal on them should be considered

MarkR171

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si, '17 MX5, '01 Miata
Country flag
Michelin PS4S is a great tire but pricey. Continental Extreme Contact Sport is 95% of that tire at a much more sensible price. There really isn't much reason to pick the Michelin over the Continental for the money. The Pirelli is worthless.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Firestone Firehawk 500s have gotten good reviews as a budget option and are readily available at a some of the places out in town. It had some favorable comparos on tirerack and if priced aggressively, might be worth a look. There were a few threads about them and have eyed getting them as one of the shops in town prices them well during their buy 3 get 1 free sales. My stock summers weren't bad enough to toss after I got them... but if they go on a wild sale, for my spirited street driving, they'll likely be what I'll try. @360glitch has been running a set for over a year. Maybe he can chime in as to how they've held up.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/grippier-tires.20134/

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Firestone Firehawk 500s have gotten good reviews as a budget option and are readily available at a some of the places out in town. It had some favorable comparos on tirerack and if priced aggressively, might be worth a look. There were a few threads about them and have eyed getting them as one of the shops in town prices them well during their buy 3 get 1 free sales. My stock summers weren't bad enough to toss after I got them... but if they go on a wild sale, for my spirited street driving, they'll likely be what I'll try. @360glitch has been running a set for over a year. Maybe he can chime in as to how they've held up.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/grippier-tires.20134/
They are a great value. I've had them on several cars and would say they are approximately a 30,000 mile tire.

Bop

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2018 CRV, 1995 Acura Integra GSR
Country flag

Will BMW wheels 18 by 8.5 with 34 off set fit our R cars they have 5 -120 bolt pattern.

cm5157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan, 2011 Ford Fiesta SES
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got 235/45/17 Bridgestone RE71Rs on my stock touring rims. I do autoX, so it's not an ideal tire for dailying since you'll wear it down in <10K miles, but man does it stick! 1.3Gs lateral. But to answer, you can def throw 235s on the stock rim.

JudgeCrater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Ridgeline, Accord
Country flag
I just replace the OEM Continentals with Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS on 2016 Turbo Coupe. These are all season but it made a significant improvement in road feel and handling. Now I can feel the road and can read the traction. Road noise is about the same. Very happy. Price is about $650 for the set of four installed.

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Going a different direction now. ^_^

I'll be going with Michelin PS4Ss. That I am decided on. But sticking to the heavy 17" wheels in the midst of that tire purchase seems silly. What is the widest wheel/tire combo at 18" that can go on a coupe turbo body with healthy clearance? That is.... a smidgen more than simply avoiding rub. There's lots of rubbish around where I drive, and I can easily imagine a just-barely clearance for rubbing to be challenged. Not intending to do any suspension changes, but I guess a brake kit to keep the visuals proportioned and fade in the summer in-check is called for.

using the wheel-size.com tool....

245/40R18 x 8.5 ET44 sits at 1.0% diameter difference

Here is the rundown of that (at the left) vs 'OE' (215/50R17 x 7.0 ET45).

Honda Civic 10th gen [Re-title] The neurotic decision making of a 1st time UHP Summer Tire Buyer upload_2019-4-1_14-14-46

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
90% set on 17x8 motegi traklites wrapped in 225-45.

Anyone running those specs on stock suspension and brakes and whatnot that can confirm no rub or similar issues?
Sponsored