Rattling noises from the rear end.

Albin Biju

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Ok this might be a stupid question, but there's this really annoying sound from the rear end of my Civic X. It's a loud rattling noise (I can even hear it over the music I play) that's sound more like a can or a metal piece that is making contact with something and no I have no idea where specifically it's from. If I were to take a guess it could be the area near the rear windshield and the trunk. Does anyone else have this issue? This is making me a little concerned for it being a new car. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yes but it's because of the subwoofer in my car. Soo not sure what's causing it in yours.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Here's a video of the rattle.
I don't have a pic, but there are two small-diameter metal bars in the trunk, it almost sounds like that same noise we had with a much older car. If they're rubbing together over road imperfections, that may be the source.

Of course, with squeaks/rattles, it could be 99 other things, too...

10genderek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I have the same noises in mine, but more faint

10genderek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I sat in the back while I had someone driving, sounded to me like it comes from the rear passenger side, under the rear shelf where all the metal brackets are, my tech at work just verified the location, we are going to contact engineering and go from there, accords used to have this problem a few years back, hopefully it's nothing to evasive

Last edited:

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a more serious note....it kinda sounds like one of the exhaust heat shields might be slightly loose and vibrating. Or like someone else said, might be something in the trunk rattling. Maybe not, it's hard to tell from the vid. Try laying your rear seats down and driving around to see if it helps to pinpoint the source.

hobojoe2010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I sat in the back while I had someone driving, sounded to me like it comes from the rear passenger side, under the rear shelf where all the metal brackets are, my tech at work just verified the location, we are going to contact engineering and go from there, accords used to have this problem a few years back, hopefully it's nothing to evasive
You ever get this fixed? Just bought my Touring a week ago and we are getting what sounds like the same rattle on the rear passenger side. I don't think its the subwoofer issue, because we can hear it rattle with the audio off. Sounds like something vibrating against metal, and the rougher the road or the faster we go the louder it gets.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I noticed while watching my car this weekend that if you press lightly on the back bumper under the trunk that you'll hear a rattle. Its like something is loose under there. I plan on having my dealer look at it when I get my oil changed.

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Video unavailable. Gee thanks. I just starting getting a rattle too so I was check to see if it’s the same.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Yeah I had lots of rattles when I installed my subs. One bad one was the license plate light was loose and rattled around loud when the bass hit. And also the rear deck was rattling against the third break light housing. I took the back deck off and installed sound deadening to stop it. That took care of most of it. You still get a small amount of rattle when I turn my stereo up loud, but two 10” subs in the trunk will do that lol
Sponsored