Rattle in dash

amarok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
So among the several rattles that people are getting there is one that i have that is driving me crazy!! So far i have eliminated the source down to the center dash and it only occurs when the air is on and primarily while it is blowing through the front vents only. The rattle is heard when accelerating or when going over small ruts in the road. This morning was not as hot so i didn't have the air on at all and i did not hear the noise once. So this leads me to believe it is something to do with the vent flow control when they are open for the front vents.

Any one else having this issue or have any thoughts on what it could be?
Sponsored

jkauf13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have been hearing a noise that sounds like a small vibration coming from behind the touch screen. It's driving me crazy

seanguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
I purchased an EX-L trim Civic Sedan 2016 today, and it has this exact issue, except it's also paired with an intermittent AC issue. AC runs cold as ice for the first 5 minutes or so, and then basically dies and I just feel ambient outside air temps BUT it has a nasty chemical smell to it. There's also the noise that you mention coming from the center vents behind the infotainment screen, which gets louder with higher fan speeds.

Anyone know what this may be? Am I breathing in really bad chemicals? (my head hurts like crazy after a couple minutes).

I'm taking the car back first thing tomorrow morning, as I literally brought it home 4 hours ago today. This is insane... I've never experienced anything like this with a brand new car.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm hearing a small buzzing noise from the center dash area when I'm at about 1800 rpm. I noticed it a lot when I was stopped on a hill and then tried to accelerate I guess there is more viberation when on an incline and accelerating. But even on flat ground I hear it at 1800 rpm. When the car is warmed up it goes away. Which leads me to believe it's going to be a lot worse when the winter comes. Just very annoying for a brand new car.

OP
OP

amarok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Yup that what it sounds like though it doesn't look like you had the air on and mine only shows up with the air on...

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup that what it sounds like though it doesn't look like you had the air on and mine only shows up with the air on...
Yea the air was off. It happens on rough pavement or when its revving at about 1800 rpm. But once the car has Been drivin for a while it goes away. But I still hear a rattle when I hit a bump.

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same symptoms to a T. It makes the noise when I first start driving in the morning and by the time I drive to the dealer it's gone.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same symptoms to a T. It makes the noise when I first start driving in the morning and by the time I drive to the dealer it's gone.
It's extremely annoying. This car overall has been an extreme disappointment to me. If there was another car that had the same performance/gas mileage and looked as good I'd probably cut my losses and buy that. But everything else I like is a shit ton more expensive. I don't know how I feel about brining it to the dealer. Because there going to want to take everything apart to find the rattle. And then put it back together. Ive herd that taking that apart can cause more issues including new rattle so I'm torn between letting them rip my car apart or live with all the rattles.

holtbest12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
It's extremely annoying. This car overall has been an extreme disappointment to me. If there was another car that had the same performance/gas mileage and looked as good I'd probably cut my losses and buy that. But everything else I like is a shit ton more expensive. I don't know how I feel about brining it to the dealer. Because there going to want to take everything apart to find the rattle. And then put it back together. Ive herd that taking that apart can cause more issues including new rattle so I'm torn between letting them rip my car apart or live with all the rattles.
Definitely try to live with the rattles. I've been through this before, having gone through the frustration of having dealers refusing to acknowledge rattles or attempting fixes but making things worse and at times taking matters into my own hands. If there was something to learn from the experience, it was not to mess with anything on my own or through the dealer until you read about others that were able to resolve the same issues on their car first.

OP
OP

amarok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
That's how i feel, very apprehensive to let them take things apart. That being said though i really think mine has something to do with the air as i was driving the other day with the air on and the while it was rattling i turned the air off and it went away immediately.

So.... if I was to attempt to look at it myself do you think i could access the center air ducts by taking out the infotainment unit and go in from the front or would i have to take the dash apart.

Twinriver9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe Touring wop
That's how i feel, very apprehensive to let them take things apart. That being said though i really think mine has something to do with the air as i was driving the other day with the air on and the while it was rattling i turned the air off and it went away immediately.

So.... if I was to attempt to look at it myself do you think i could access the center air ducts by taking out the infotainment unit and go in from the front or would i have to take the dash apart.

Twinriver9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe Touring wop
Hey,and maybe this will help.Bought touring coupe right of showroom floor.A Beauty. basically started hearing rattle at idol with a/c on.sounded just like it may have been hood rod that holds the hood up gently vibrating into hood.sounded like it was coming from behind infotainment module. first dealer thought it was the "A PIPE" part in exhaust they replaced it. Rattle still their.Next attempt they found it,turns out it was an ENGINE MOUNT.they fixed that and rattle was gone. I was very very happy. I am not sure but in my humble opinion all these people with this annoying behind the dash rattle, should ask dealer to check the ENGINE MOUNTS.I hope this may help,my car instantly became flawless. Good Luck

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey,and maybe this will help.Bought touring coupe right of showroom floor.A Beauty. basically started hearing rattle at idol with a/c on.sounded just like it may have been hood rod that holds the hood up gently vibrating into hood.sounded like it was coming from behind infotainment module. first dealer thought it was the "A PIPE" part in exhaust they replaced it. Rattle still their.Next attempt they found it,turns out it was an ENGINE MOUNT.they fixed that and rattle was gone. I was very very happy. I am not sure but in my humble opinion all these people with this annoying behind the dash rattle, should ask dealer to check the ENGINE MOUNTS.I hope this may help,my car instantly became flawless. Good Luck
Thanks, when I eventually bring it I will let them know about the mount. I just think its unacceptable that this car creeks and rattles like it's 10 years old.