kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
I think I remember seeing a thread around here regarding removing the rear wing. I do know where you are coming from. I really don't like the rear end of the CTR at all-the wing I like. It's functional (under track circumstances), and was designed for the car, so it does not looked tacked on. I have bought a few cars in the past that I liked the performance more than the looks (1987 RX-7 Turbo II, 2014 GT-R, etc). The CTR is the same way. It has some really good looking angles but overall, I bought it for the performance, to replace my 2014 Mini Hardtop JCW. For $35k, this car is more than a steal.

Like you, I don't plan on tracking the CTR regularly. I might take it out once or twice at Mid-Ohio to see what it can do. Z06 is my track work horse. I was bummed to learn about the heat-soak issues with the CTR when using it for track duty in really warm temps. I don't really want to put the parts/pieces on it to get that under control when I can just run the Z06, stock, all day long as hard as I want and it asks for more....Oh, and I'm 56, so there are some AARP folks here....you will feel right at home when you find one :)
how did you like the GTR? I plan on purchasing one down the road when I pay my CTR off

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
New here. Don't have a Type R, yet. On the local dealer list. Rode in the kid's that he bought Saturday. Crap those things are quick! I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but...I'm 68 years old and love the car but not the rear wing. Does anyone know if it is easy to remove? I assume remove the hatch interior trim and there should be bolts/nuts located beneath. Then get some body shop to color match some type of plugs. I would only street drive the one I "might" get to buy. Pretty sure even at interstate speeds I don't think I would need the additional downforce. If I track anything it would be my 911. Be kind...
I say leave the wing, you don't have to look at it while you're driving and it's functional.

The standard base hatchbacks without the wing look weird to me, but I'm obviously biased.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I say leave the wing, you don't have to look at it while you're driving and it's functional.

The standard base hatchbacks without the wing look weird to me, but I'm obviously biased.
I loathed the hatchback rear-end when I first saw one at work. At first I saw the front-end and was impressed, and then walked around to the back and kinda blanched a little. The wing and ground effects/aero made the CTR something I actually enjoy (although there's still some styling snafus in there).

To be honest though, I don't fault anyone their opinion on the wing. It's a polarizing topic.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You would need to remove all the aero parts on this car, including the body kit for a wingless version to look decent. And if you’re going to that length you will end up with an almost replica of a normal Civic Hatchback. The wing and the aero parts all flow together...

Just my .02

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Ok...Last night I got to drive the kid's new 2018 Type R. It confirmed what I felt during the test ride before he bought the car...
F-A-S-T!! Let me qualify myself: I've been driving for 50 years. I've owned the following fast cars: 64 Triumph TR-4, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, 69 Firebird, 69 Chevelle SS 396, 70 Plymouth Duster 340, 89 Honda Accord LXI, 93 Nissan 300ZX, 05 Porsche Carrera 4S and owned-maintained-drove a 360 Sprint Car in 89 thru 91. So I've driven some fast cars. This thing is fast! I cannot wait for my turn in line to come up!!

HondaReese23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 and EM1
Ok...Last night I got to drive the kid's new 2018 Type R. It confirmed what I felt during the test ride before he bought the car...
F-A-S-T!! Let me qualify myself: I've been driving for 50 years. I've owned the following fast cars: 64 Triumph TR-4, 65 Sunbeam Tiger, 69 Firebird, 69 Chevelle SS 396, 70 Plymouth Duster 340, 89 Honda Accord LXI, 93 Nissan 300ZX, 05 Porsche Carrera 4S and owned-maintained-drove a 360 Sprint Car in 89 thru 91. So I've driven some fast cars. This thing is fast! I cannot wait for my turn in line to come up!!
fast and most of all a blast to drive! :thumbsup:

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
This guy nailed it:

"I'm a big fan of the Type R's extreme, even polarizing looks. It's overdone, but in this segment, you're not looking for subtle. The pronounced wheel arches, the crazy wing, the black wheels with popping red calipers — all the details work to create the Type R's character. Even the grille is spot-on for this model. In a vacuum I think it's ridiculous, but on the Type R, yeah, you want to look like you're driving a Decepticon."

To put it another way, if you're looking at this car, you're probably not the type of person that enjoys beige.

Fun cars should look like a bit like an explosion at a crayola factory.

Last edited:

IamMrRoy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 HRV, 18 Wrangler JK, 17 Wrangler JKU, 07 Pilot, 06 Chevy Express, 02 Chry PTC, 01 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Country flag
Things that make you go hmm. . .
Sponsored