Quick question on 3rd party TPMS system

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Todday, I installed a direct bolt-on TPMS system from Amazon and then the car kept throwing "Low Tire Pressure" warning eventhough they were all properly filled. Hit the "Tire Pressure Calibrate" a couple times and it didn't help. Wondering if that is becoz I under-tight or over-tight the sensors, or it's simply incompatible??

I really want to keep those becoz it's pretty hard to tell if our stock tire is on low pressure or even flat by eyes. Anyone has the same experience or workaround, please chime in, Thx!

This is the TPMS i got : www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QYS2J5R
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
A lot of these actually will press down on the valve to be able to let air out into the chamber around the valve and the sensor itself to read tire pressure. The issue with this is that if you have a leak in that area, you'll slowly drain the air out of your tires. Take off the sensors and see if the issue still persists. Double check tire pressures using a different system as well.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
I'm running these since June 2018. No problems on my OEM set and aftermarket set.

Honda Civic 10th gen Quick question on 3rd party TPMS system IMG_20180620_191048

Honda Civic 10th gen Quick question on 3rd party TPMS system IMG_20180620_190054

OP
OP
EnjoyDriving

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
A lot of these actually will press down on the valve to be able to let air out into the chamber around the valve and the sensor itself to read tire pressure. The issue with this is that if you have a leak in that area, you'll slowly drain the air out of your tires. Take off the sensors and see if the issue still persists. Double check tire pressures using a different system as well.
I will double check. But as I said before, it wasn't losing any pressure, so I didn't think there was a leak, but I do plan on testing one of them at a time and see.

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you are sure your sensors are not leaking, try to keep calibrating a few more times. The TPMS on CTR uses measurements of things like resistance to determine if it thinks the tire pressures are down. My old car used a similar system but wasn't as sensitive as CTR. If these caps are heavy enough to throw the wheels off balance even a tiny amount, then it might trip the sensors. When I first got my car and when I switched from OEM to winter tires I had to reset multiple times and eventually it stopped. I assume the car gets used to your driving style and road conditions to "learn" what to expect with tires under normal pressure.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Todday, I installed a direct bolt-on TPMS system from Amazon and then the car kept throwing "Low Tire Pressure" warning eventhough they were all properly filled. Hit the "Tire Pressure Calibrate" a couple times and it didn't help. Wondering if that is becoz I under-tight or over-tight the sensors, or it's simply incompatible??

I really want to keep those becoz it's pretty hard to tell if our stock tire is on low pressure or even flat by eyes. Anyone has the same experience or workaround, please chime in, Thx!

This is the TPMS i got : www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QYS2J5R
Confused. The FK8 doesn't have TPMS sensors so what you installed are just aftermarket "sensors". Measuring from the valve stem seems goofy as you're actually adding a wheel weight on to the car (wheels/tires should be balanced).

FK8's use speed sensors on the wheels so they shouldn't be throwing anything (low tire pressure), unless the car was not driven after initiating the calibration mode.

More so, waste of money, you should be checking your tire pressure with a gauge weekly, not relying on any electronic dummy gauge.

OP
OP
EnjoyDriving

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Update: Thanks for all inputs, and I finally got them working without warning today ( not sure if there will be any in the future though ). So, i put them back on one by one, each separated by about 10 mins freeway driving. And not a single warning I received - gr8!! Tha

Like a member suggested here - i still carry a pressure gauge around and will do the reading once in awhile, as these sensors seem to read about 1-2 psi higher. However, i don't need them for the 100% accuracy, i only need them to warn me when the pressure fall below my designated threshold - which is plenty enough to me. In fact, i even tuck the head unit inside my armrest storage ( out of my sight, keeping my car a simple clean look ) ;-)

Last edited:

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought I would share mine. I stuck the monitor with some double sided tape and I made it so its almost facing up( facing it parallel makes it harder to see). As for the tire balance, I dont feel any vibration at 80mph but I stuck .325oz(1/4 oz + half of it) wheel weights on the opposite side just in case higher speed(100mph+) makes it apparent.

Honda Civic 10th gen Quick question on 3rd party TPMS system 20200403_131903

Honda Civic 10th gen Quick question on 3rd party TPMS system 20200403_131832

OP
OP
EnjoyDriving

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
urs look exactly the same as mine, but i finally it on driver side corner of my dash, very convenient to see plus it can solar charging too.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag