Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
We've put together a few images to preview the general shape of the 2017 Civic hatchback. Based on our recent Type R spy photos, we've removed the large trunk wing and some body vents for a better perspective of the roof and trunk lines.

Obviously, the standard Civic hatchback won't feature all the Type R bits - aggressive bodywork, wheels, brakes, tri-tip exhaust, but you get the idea...

Honda Civic 10th gen Quick previews of 2017 Civic Hatchback shape {filename}

Sponsored

kidboise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Accord, 1972 Z600
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, good work. Gives a decent idea of how the basic hatch will look. IMO, this hatch is shaping up to be what the Crosstour should have been. Ride height won't be pointlessly raised, styling won't be mysteriously completely different from the sedan on which it's based. It's not going to try to be a crossover in any way, and I like that a lot.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Granted I know this isn't the first time Europe has had a civic hatch similar to this shape. But I actually think this more sedan like profile could help it sell here. Americans are so iffy about hatches, giving them one that could almost pass as a sedan is probably the ticket to help ease people into it.

Bubb2521

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i, TT RS
Granted I know this isn't the first time Europe has had a civic hatch similar to this shape. But I actually think this more sedan like profile could help it sell here. Americans are so iffy about hatches, giving them one that could almost pass as a sedan is probably the ticket to help ease people into it.
I absolutely agree! I know (some) die hard hatch fans don't like this hatch look but it will sell better. I for one actually like this

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
I disagree...I think the Type R will have its following, due to the sheer power it will offer and mostly because of the novelty factor since the US has never had one. Besides that, I don't see this hatch selling all that well compared to the Focus, Mazda3 or Golf. The rear styling alone already guarantees the car will not have the usable space and versatility of the class leaders (Golf) and honestly, even without seeing the finer details under all the camo, I just don't find the rear shape to be all that attractive.

Folks in this country (the US) are no longer iffy about hatchback design. If you want a compact hatchback, you'll pay more for the hatch than the traditional sedan counterpart. Hatches have become "premium" here in the states for those of us who buy them. We've got more traditional looking hatchbacks on sale in this country now than we have had in years. Chevy is even coming out with a Cruze hatchback to go on sale in the states this go-round. 45 percent of the Ford Focus's sales are of the hatchback..that's significant. Keep in mind that Honda hasn't sold any other real hatchback in significant numbers in recent years except the Fit, which *Surprise* has a traditional look and usable rear space...so if folks are in the market for a hatch and are likely already looking at the competition, what's to sway them to the Civic Hatch? Honda reliability I suppose.

Honda tried this "approach" in another class of cars a few years ago when they introduced the Crosstour. It was supposed to go head to head with the Venza and Outback. The Venza was never a huge seller itself, but most years it outsold the CrossTour 2-1 and the Outback outsold both by triple digits. What hurt the Crosstour the most? Styling-particularly rear end styling-that hampered the car's visibility, usability and space. It had a shape that was neither appealing nor offered class leading versatility. Deja Vu.

Why go against the grain, style-wise? Especially if the styling could potential hurt visibility, space, styling (subjective)? Makes no sense...and this thing is on a global platform that has a wheelbase that's 1.2 inches longer than the current Civic sedan which was already significantly larger than the current Euro hatch....yet somehow this thing still manages to look chopped up and unfinished. Sorry guys. I am disappointed. I expected more.

Just like the Crosstour, once it starts getting reviewed and once it's thrown into a comparison test, the car will probably be dinged for its lack of usable rear space, styling, etc. etc. Some may like it (many of you seem too) but if the space isn't there (the sloped silhouette makes it apparent it won't be) why chose it?

The point of a hatchback is to offer some real, useable space in comparison to a sedan or coupe. I just don't see how it's going to really offer much more space than the sedan does unless the rear seat room is hampered significantly. The car's shape makes it clear that bulky items that would likely fit into a Golf aren't going to fit here.

I guess all of this just makes it easier for me to grab the SI sedan. At this point I don't even care if they offer an SI hatchback...pretty pointless to me now.

Honda designs a sedan that's so notched back that it looks like a hatchback..then designs a hatchback with a rear so notched that Motortrend mistakenly calls this Type R a Sedan....blurred lines much? Ridiculous.

As I mentioned on another Honda-related group. I'm just waiting for Honda to tell me the SI will come with a 1.5t instead of the much needed 2.0t so I can put the last nail in my coffin. I'm a huge Honda fan but Honda just keeps making it harder for me to love them! Really loved the idea of a Civic hatch...just not his one LOL.

I hope I'm wrong about all this stuff guys and gals I really do...but my sneaking suspicion tells me I'm not.

Last edited:

M1160

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Uber
It definitely doesn't have the classic wedge hatchback shape and I think the current one is more attractive but I also don't think it's terrible. In fact it looks pretty good in the first and last pics. And I think the rear side windows being taped up like that contributes to it looking notchier and stumpier than it actually is. Once we can see the rear side windows taper and come to a point, it'll make the back portion of the car look better overall.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honga Magoomobile
Looking real good to this Kiwi's eyes. I love the proportions, and I think once the camouflaging comes off, it's going to surprise many. That it doesn't conform to the classic hatch forms I think will work to it's advantage and help to make it 'stand it out in the crowd'. The 9th gen hatch has been available in NZ for some time and it is distinctive but polarizing in appeal, and sells way less than the Toyota, Mazda, VW and Hyundai hatch offerings . The 10th gen version is shaping up to be a more universally attractive beast imho.

Bubb2521

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i, TT RS
Looking real good to this Kiwi's eyes. I love the proportions, and I think once the camouflaging comes off, it's going to surprise many. That it doesn't conform to the classic hatch forms I think will work to it's advantage and help to make it 'stand it out in the crowd'. The 9th gen hatch has been available in NZ for some time and it is distinctive but polarizing in appeal, and sells way less than the Toyota, Mazda, VW and Hyundai hatch offerings . The 10th gen version is shaping up to be a more universally attractive beast imho.
I agree with you Kendall.

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
I actually really like this look and think it looks better without the crazy TypeR wing. Too many spoilers spoils a tail end :)
The rear roofline isn't as sloped or sleek as the current hatch but it's got a tough squat look instead.:thumbsup:

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
I actually really like this look and think it looks better without the crazy TypeR wing. Too many spoilers spoils a tail end :)
The rear roofline isn't as sloped or sleek as the current hatch but it's got a tough squat look instead.:thumbsup:
I agree, without the wing the shape looks much better. It has lines like a porsche panamera.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It definitely doesn't have the classic wedge hatchback shape and I think the current one is more attractive but I also don't think it's terrible. In fact it looks pretty good in the first and last pics. And I think the rear side windows being taped up like that contributes to it looking notchier and stumpier than it actually is. Once we can see the rear side windows taper and come to a point, it'll make the back portion of the car look better overall.
All that camo tape around the C pillar and windows makes the rear half of the car look all scrunched up and porky. Can you photoshop off some of the tape? I bet it'll look more balanced and sportier.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
As I mentioned on another Honda-related group. I'm just waiting for Honda to tell me the SI will come with a 1.5t instead of the much needed 2.0t so I can put the last nail in my coffin. I'm a huge Honda fan but Honda just keeps making it harder for me to love them! Really loved the idea of a Civic hatch...just not his one LOL.

I hope I'm wrong about all this stuff guys and gals I really do...but my sneaking suspicion tells me I'm not.
I couldn't agree more. For me, everything is pending on the motor that goes into the SI. Everything.

Bottom line is, if the SI's powertrain isn't comparable to its most direct competitors, Honda is wasting our time. The Subaru WRX and the Focus ST both have 2.0 turbos with 252+ HP. Both have 6 speed manuals. Both cost in the $26k-$30k range. So all logic and reason tells me that the SI will have a 2.0 turbo as well (albeit a neutered Type R version). All that said, I'm already preparing for a major letdown. In fact, just today I went and test drove my Plan B, just in case (Focus ST).

I don't see a 1.5 turbo capable of putting out 250+ HP. And even if with some heavy mods it could, I wouldn't want it because it would be so maxed out I wouldn't trust the engine long term. At some point, there's just no replacement for displacement.

All this waiting for the SI specs is just nuts. I don't know why Honda is being so ridiculously secretive about it all. I understand they don't want to cannibalize the remaining 2015 model sales, but good gawd! They already missed the traditional September release month and now we are in mid October. Throw us a damn bone at least. Tell us the SI specs!

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
I couldn't agree more. For me, everything is pending on the motor that goes into the SI. Everything.

Bottom line is, if the SI's powertrain isn't comparable to its most direct competitors, Honda is wasting our time. The Subaru WRX and the Focus ST both have 2.0 turbos with 252+ HP. Both have 6 speed manuals. Both cost in the $26k-$30k range. So all logic and reason tells me that the SI will have a 2.0 turbo as well (albeit a neutered Type R version). All that said, I'm already preparing for a major letdown. In fact, just today I went and test drove my Plan B, just in case (Focus ST).

I don't see a 1.5 turbo capable of putting out 250+ HP. And even if with some heavy mods it could, I wouldn't want it because it would be so maxed out I wouldn't trust the engine long term. At some point, there's just no replacement for displacement.
If the Si gets the 2.0L turbo and keeps right around its current price, I believe it'll be one of the best selling Si models ever. But if it gets the 1.5T unless it's some phenom engine with a super strong block and forged internals (which I don't think it it because it'd be the same engine sold in the base model which has basically seen no price increase to indicate that the engine has been highly upgraded), then it's probably not going to a highly tune-able engine. Funny how 0.5L makes all the difference.

All this waiting for the SI specs is just nuts. I don't know why Honda is being so ridiculously secretive about it all. I understand they don't want to cannibalize the remaining 2015 model sales, but good gawd! They already missed the traditional September release month and now we are in mid October. Throw us a damn bone at least. Tell us the SI specs!
Well the sedan specs won't even be fully revealed yet until Monday, then comes the coupe hopefully before end of the year, and then the Si after that. Unless they decide to reveal the Si details together with the coupe model.

GearGrind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 WRX 6mt ISM, 13 BRZ (Vortech S/C) 6mt
I'm very very interested in a hatch for my parents. They have been driving Subaru since early 90s, but they always like Honda for their ergonomics, "simple" design, their efficiency and reliability.

If the price point is what we expect, i can see we will switch their 15 impreza hatch at end of lease term and give the 2.0 or 1.5T a try.
Sponsored