Quick Beeping when walking away from car...

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
That I get, but I imagine the car knows the proximity of the fob, not the person.

For example, several times I've left the fob in the car with my girlfriend because I forgot something in the house and it never beeped at me.
Right. What are you trying to say? Both of you are saying the fob is inside the car. Neither of you said it matters where inside the car it is...
Sponsored

Aetheric Continua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Right. What are you trying to say? Both of you are saying the fob is inside the car. Neither of you said it matters where inside the car it is...
I was referring to these posts:
When the car makes the rapid beeping 10 times or so. It means there's a door open, the car is running or the key is inside the vehicle.
if it is beeping quickly that means the car thinks your fob key is still in the car. just use your key and manually lock it or just open the door and close it again.
So I was wondering how the car would know that my fob key was still in the car but I wasn't. I may very well be misunderstanding what they're saying, though.

Last edited:

astein244@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic LX Manual,1995 Civic Del Sol SI 278k,1995 BMW M3 5 speed (rip),1992 SC300 5 speedl(rip),2005 Is300 5 speed(rip)

So I was wondering how the car would know that my fob key was still in the car but I wasn't. I may very well be misunderstanding what they're saying, though.
If the key leaves the car when the car is running it beeps. If the car is not running and you try to lock it when the keyfob is in the car it wont lock and makes the chiming noise.
The question is why is the car making that noise when you walk away and have auto walk away feature set. If its making the chiming noise it means theres a door open, one of the 2 keys is inside the car, or you left it running

Aetheric Continua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
If the key leaves the car when the car is running it beeps. If the car is not running and you try to lock it when the keyfob is in the car it wont lock and makes the chiming noise.
The question is why is the car making that noise when you walk away and have auto walk away feature set. If its making the chiming noise it means theres a door open, one of the 2 keys is inside the car, or you left it running
Thanks for the clarification :)

royalstevn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 2016
How does the Civic know if the fob is still in the car?

Edit: How would the Civic know that the fob is still in the car but the driver isn't?
throw the fob key in the trunk and shut the trunk close you'll hear the same beeps sound. think of the car as a red rectangular box. if the fob key is within the box it knows you're inside i.e turning on your car (that's why they tell you when the battery is low to put the key near the push start because it'll still have very little energy that is still omitting the signal) and when you step outside of the box it know that they key is no longer in the car. the common thing is people still stand close to the car when they shut the door close that the car think you're on the borderline of the box and thus it think you're in the car and if the key is in the car it will not lock. same with the keys in the trunk

Akirazstylin

Spread a little aloha wherever you go!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have my auto lock set for when I walk away from the car. It seems to work for most of the time, but at random, it will beeping quickly as I am walking away, and not lock the vehicle......Any others experiencing this or have a fix?
Thanks for posting this. I too have the same issue. LOL when I'm outside at night trying to program things in my car it beeps like 4 or 5 times rapidly lol thinking shut up shut up shut up the neighbors are gonna wake up lol

Akirazstylin

Spread a little aloha wherever you go!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Basically the car doesn't care about the owner It only cares about where it's remote sits.

willymtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Just wait a second or two after closing the door and stand next to your car. You will hear one beep knowing the car is locked. If you walk away to fast, then you will hear the 3 beeps like you have noticed.

This usually works for me.
When I have auto lock I hear two beeps. One as soon as I get out of the vehicle, and then a second beep as I get farther away from the car, which actually locks the vehicle. Is this the same for you guys?

froyskie

Touring85
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I have my auto lock set for when I walk away from the car. It seems to work for most of the time, but at random, it will beeping quickly as I am walking away, and not lock the vehicle......Any others experiencing this or have a fix?
I have same problem with walk away auto-lock it is random the rapid beeping... i'd try every tips and suggestion and still no good... and anyone have experienced rapid beeping after entering the car and close the door also have rapid beeping.... to much annoying.... any help pls.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have same problem with walk away auto-lock it is random the rapid beeping... i'd try every tips and suggestion and still no good... and anyone have experienced rapid beeping after entering the car and close the door also have rapid beeping.... to much annoying.... any help pls.
This still happens to me once every few days. In my case, opening and closing any of the doors solves the problem. It would be difficult to demonstrate to the dealer, and it doesn't happen too often, so I'm not really pursuing a permanent fix. How often does it happen to you? Does opening/closing any door fix it?

froyskie

Touring85
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
This still happens to me once every few days. In my case, opening and closing any of the doors solves the problem. It would be difficult to demonstrate to the dealer, and it doesn't happen too often, so I'm not really pursuing a permanent fix. How often does it happen to you? Does opening/closing any door fix it?
It's a random issue. I think we just wait for a software or technical update.... I hope the honda people will do it asap.... Thanks for your reply...

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It's a random issue. I think we just wait for a software or technical update.... I hope the honda people will do it asap.... Thanks for your reply...
I hope so too. I'm guessing it will be a software update. Luckily it's not a huge problem.

Gt1948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Happens to me also. Wondering if its the sensor for door ajar/open?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I've had the rapid beep twice. In both cases, my pocket with the fob was very close to the door when I shut it. I noticed in the manual the statement:

"After the auto lock function has been activated, the
auto lock operation stop beeper sounds for
approximately two seconds in the following cases.
• The smart entry remote is put inside the vehicle
through a window.
• You are located too close to the vehicle."

Since then I've tried closing the door at more of an arm's length. YMMV.
Sponsored