Questions on AFR and ignition timing

calvin13386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T
Country flag
I am using a Ktuner V1.2 currently and flashed my ecu with the dual calibration 21psi stage 2 map. I encountered a few questions while exploring the KTuner software on my laptop.

1) Through the Tunerview app on my HU, I noticed that under WOT, the AFR does run rich to around 9.2. I did a check on my Ktuner settings under WOT as below snapshot, the AFR was supposed to limit at 11 but why does it not? Or does the value in the below table not represents the AFR?

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on AFR and ignition timing upload_2019-3-21_22-4-54

2) I realized that KTuner base map are running slightly richer in terms of AFR How do I adjust the AFR to be slightly leaner. Is it at the above WOT page or under the below MAF scaling?

I am seeing the below table for AFM flow under MAF scaling, do I adjust under g/s which corresponds to the voltage to make the AFR leaner? If yes, do I adjust the g/s value to be smaller or larger? Any recommended values?

In the event if I do replace my intake with PRL CAI race MAF, do I adjust the MAF quick calibrations to "PRL Race MAF calibrations"?

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on AFR and ignition timing upload_2019-3-21_22-8-6

3) I read through the forum and saw a user posting some recommendation for IAT ignition to reduce knock control. My current knock control does shoot up to 0.86 - 0.9 easily during cruising. Is the suggestion from that particular user a fairly safe number to follow and what does it affects?

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on AFR and ignition timing upload_2019-3-21_22-18-15

4) What does ECT ignition do and should I or should I not adjust the values. are the "Corr" values meant the cam angles?

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on AFR and ignition timing upload_2019-3-21_22-19-40

5) What is final boost target and what does it affect. Any recommendation on the values to set?

ps: I have send the queries to Ktuner before but was only told that my ECU number is just marked as initial support on their website so they did not give me any advice. As such, I have decided to reach out to other KTuner users for advice.

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on AFR and ignition timing upload_2019-3-21_22-28-34

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
You can see AFR.CMD in datalogging. If your AFR is off pretty far from that you likely have a poorly designed intake that's throwing off your fueling and you need to have the MAF curve calibrated properly. If you don't have an intake then that can indicate something is wrong, especially if fuel trims are high.

ECT ignition correction shouldn't be changed on a basic setup.

See the help for final boost target information.

OP
OP

calvin13386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T
Country flag
I'm running on K&N drop in air filter but I supposed it should not affect too much right? Do I need to also monitor the STFT or LTFT as well?

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
I can confirm that on my EUDM Civic AFR.CMD reads 11.2 and AFR was reading ~10, verified with an external Wideband sensor. My tuner also tested a bone stock Civic and AFR.CMD was reading the same 11.2 and AFR was 10ish.
On my car we tuned the AFM table to achieve 11.2 AFR , however since the g/s value is lower, the load is calculated differently, leading to other values in tables like ignition.
We had the same readings with stock intake, and this did not change with the Mishimoto Intake

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Factory targets 10.8-10.89 unless boost is being limited and achieves right around that AFR. The factory MAF curve purposely overshoots a bit at higher flow levels, which won't be achieved at factory boost levels.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Factory targets 10.8-10.89 unless boost is being limited and achieves right around that AFR. The factory MAF curve purposely overshoots a bit at higher flow levels, which won't be achieved at factory boost levels.
Thanks for the reply. So, if we want to get rid of this overshooting, should we change the WOT table or adjust the MAF by the overshooting percentage? (Mine was around 6-7% for 1 point of afr)

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
If AFR doesn't reach the AFR.CMD then modifying the targets will still lead to an AFR that doesn't match the command. That would stem from the MAF curve.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If AFR doesn't reach the AFR.CMD then modifying the targets will still lead to an AFR that doesn't match the command. That would stem from the MAF curve.
Noted and thanks! One last question. Do you use any Closed Loop at higher RPM's ? From my logs, the fuel status past 4k RPM is 4, which stands for Open Loop and STFT goes to 0. Is that expected behavior? Thanks again for your fantastic support!

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bumping this thread a bit with some data that I have cross checked with another EUDM (from Italy)

Running the dual starter 21psi on my car in Greece (Mishimoto Intake) and another EUDM in Italy (bone stock), where temperatures are rising above 30C ambient these days.

Looking at the WOT Enrichment table for a set vale of load and RPM we get a value of ~ 11.3
Looking at the Log, the AFR.CMD value is 10.64 (so this is ~0.6AFR lower than the WOT table). Is this normal?
Looking at the Log, the actual AFR is 9.02, which is a huge difference and a bit of extreme overshooting.

Throughout a 3rd gear pull AFR.CMD varies from 10.6 to 10.9 (always 0.5 lower than the table) and AFR is 9-9.3 (~1.5 lower than the CMD)

I was able to tune my MAF calibration so that AFR matches the CMD by modifying the values from 4.2 volts and up by ~11% but now that it achieves ~11AFR my ignition timing is pulled by ~3 degrees compared to the ~9AFR

Can someone with a US base model confirm if this is the same in terms of AFR/CMD ?

@KTuner does the above described / logged behavior seem normal ?
Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on AFR and ignition timing AFR.PNG

thanks!

esker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo CVT
Country flag
Yes, same behavior with Malaysia model as well. I had to tune the MAF scaling myself to correct the fuel trim.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
can anything be done to improve the situation?

I asked the Italian group to make logs and send them to me
Sponsored