TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
What’s up guys, so I’m coming from the Subaru world where in order to be tuned you need to have an accessport first. I was told by a wise civic facebook group member to take everything I knew about Subaru and cars and put them on the back burner because it’s nowhere near the same.

So with that being said, I am definitely looking into getting tuned, but I feel like since I won’t be doing any of my own tuning, it wouldn’t be worth buying a Hondata flashpro since a tuning ship by me can use their Hondata flash pro to tune my fk8. So my main question is, what would be the advantages to actually owning the Hondata versus just going to a tuner and getting tuned. So far the only thing I see is spending $600 less without having to buy a Hondata, unless I’m totally missing something! I’d also like to know if the OTS maps are worth it!
Sponsored

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
The only way to flash your ECU is the jailbreak it and buy FlashPro. Each FlashPro is ECU/VIN specific. Yes, technically a shop can flash your ECU but that FlashPro they used would be useless to anybody but you.

In order to use that specific FlashPro device on another can, you have to deregister the FlashPro from the ECU but you need to flash that ECU back to stock.

Yes, the basemaps are worth it.

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The only way to flash your ECU is the jailbreak it and buy FlashPro. Each FlashPro is ECU/VIN specific. Yes, technically a shop can flash your ECU but that FlashPro they used would be useless to anybody but you.

In order to use that specific FlashPro device on another can, you have to deregister the FlashPro from the ECU but you need to flash that ECU back to stock.

Yes, the basemaps are worth it.
okay so it’s exactly like Subaru in the sense that the flashpro is ‘married’ to my ecu. Okay cool. So now my next question is, am I going to require a computer to get this working or can I do everything from the Hondata like the accessport?

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
okay so it’s exactly like Subaru in the sense that the flashpro is ‘married’ to my ecu. Okay cool. So now my next question is, am I going to require a computer to get this working or can I do everything from the Hondata like the accessport?
You’re spot on the married part. You need the computer (or Windows based tablet) to upload the maps to the FlashPro. You can upload two maps to the FlashPro, and be able to flash either maps without needing a computer/tablet. You still need the computer/tablet to upload to FlashPro initially.

OP
OP
TypeRNY

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Okay so it’s almost just like an accessport. Okay so it’s becoming more clear to me. Thank you for the clarification, I really appreciate it. I think I was fed some wrong information not long ago that led me to believe some incorrect things. Thanks again!
Sponsored