TheHondaWay

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring
Hey all,
Just picked up a 2018 Sport Touring the other day and I'm curious about Hondalink. At the dealership I noticed a generic brochure for Hondalink across all models. It broke down yearly costs and features.
My questions are about said features. Or rather what features do the Civics even get? Will I get the remote start feature from the app? Is it even worth it? And I'm also having trouble getting the car to sync with the Hondalink app regardless of the fact that my phone hooks up just fine via Bluetooth (after searching I see that's common).

P.S. New member and first post. Tried searching for what information I needed but mostly found connectivity issues and retro fitting had units on lesser trim models. But alas, if there is said information on the site I apologize in advance and understand post removal.​
Sponsored

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
Hey all,
Just picked up a 2018 Sport Touring the other day and I'm curious about Hondalink. At the dealership I noticed a generic brochure for Hondalink across all models. It broke down yearly costs and features.
My questions are about said features. Or rather what features do the Civics even get? Will I get the remote start feature from the app? Is it even worth it? And I'm also having trouble getting the car to sync with the Hondalink app regardless of the fact that my phone hooks up just fine via Bluetooth (after searching I see that's common).

P.S. New member and first post. Tried searching for what information I needed but mostly found connectivity issues and retro fitting had units on lesser trim models. But alas, if there is said information on the site I apologize in advance and understand post removal.​

I think the Civic has the most basic version of hondalink. This includes vehicle guides, parking reminder, service reminders, recall notifications, automatic 911 after crash, etc.

The convienience features are only on a few of hondas cars, the civic doesn't include lock and unlock from the app, or remote start from app.

https://hondalink.honda.com/#/compatibility?year=2017&model=Civic Hatchback

OP
OP
TheHondaWay

TheHondaWay

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring
I think the Civic has the most basic version of hondalink. This includes vehicle guides, parking reminder, service reminders, recall notifications, automatic 911 after crash, etc.

The convienience features are only on a few of hondas cars, the civic doesn't include lock and unlock from the app, or remote start from app.

https://hondalink.honda.com/#/compatibility?year=2017&model=Civic Hatchback
Appreciate the quick response! That's what I was thinking (feared really). Was really wanting the remote start feature!

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
Appreciate the quick response! That's what I was thinking (feared really). Was really wanting the remote start feature!
I did the same thing when I bought my car so I understand haha. :)

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Hondalink is, so far, almost fucking useless in my car.

It hasn't synced the fuel range/odometer mileage/oil life/whatever since December 1st of last year. [UPDATE: It synced again sometime last week (Jan 25th-ish).]

The parking reminder isn't anything different than what I can see in Apple Maps (type "car" in Maps' search field and it'll show you where you unplugged your phone from the car).

Trying to connect to it via the car's onboard app has failed miserably, too.

Maybe I'll try using it to schedule its second service and see if it can keep its place on my phone. Maybe it needs to be deleted and reinstalled. Or maybe I'll just delete it out of spite. POS.

Last edited:

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hondalink is, so far, almost fucking useless in my car.

It hasn't synced the fuel range/odometer mileage/oil life/whatever since December 1st of last year.
Mine is also stuck at having last synced on Dec 1st.

Another problem I found is hen I connected my iPod Classic to the inside center console USB port, it also disabled HondaLink syncing with my iPhone. Doesn't make sense, but I could almost never get it to connect before, until one day I disconnected my iPod, and lo and behold, it worked and did consistently without anything connected to the other USB port. That is until Dec 1st...

eeek

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Mine quit working when I got a new phone- an iPhone X. I am pretty tech savvy, so I've done due diligence on getting it working. I've deleted the app, reinstalled, tried Bluetooth, tried wired, and it won't work. I was at the dealer yesterday for an oil change and asked them to look at it. Both the adviser and the tech blamed my phone, not the car. They had hoped I hadn't updated the phone, but alas, I had. They updated the software to the head unit but I wasn't able to check it until later in the day. Still isn't working. The only reason I would use it is the auto dialer for 911 as it's worthless for everything else.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Mine is also stuck at having last synced on Dec 1st.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the iOS 11.2 update.

Which then makes me wonder if Honda has anyone testing their app. It's not like iOS developers get blindsided by system updates.

Someone around here has a sig that says (paraphrasing), "Honda is becoming a software company. The problem is, they don't know it." Totally true.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After it didn't update jack shit for 6+ weeks (I'm on Android), I gave up and deleted the app. It's easily one of the worst modern pieces of software in memory.

Last I'd checked it, it got stuck saying I'd parked in the middle of a four-lane, 65 MPH road. In November.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It sucks and doesn't work for me either. Un and reinstalled I don't know how many times. Doesn't work for my wife either and she has had two diffetent phones. Its useless.

XLR8TOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T coupe, '00 Trans Am 'vert, '98 Dakota R/T
Country flag
Mine just started working again. iPhone X on iOS 11.2.5

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Mine wouldn’t connect for months after I upgraded to an iPhone X. Then finally it woke up and connected on March 1st. But then it went back to sleep again and hasn’t connected since. As someone mentioned above, it is a useless app, so no big loss.
Sponsored