Questions about communities critical nature.

SaintClarence27

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My favorite is the BMW 1.5 psi guy, though every extended burnout where the car catches on fire is a schadenfreudic joy.
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I don't want to put words in your mouth so I'll ask, are you saying it's stupid to drive your sporty car aggressively? I feel that's what they're built for.
No, no, no. I am saying I like watching "stupid driver fail" compilation videos where people do stuff so stupid where I can say, damn, I'm glad I did'nt do that. I drive aggressively from time to time

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know. I'm not a fan of seeing people running 120+ MPH on the interstate, weaving through traffic, claiming they're in Mexico because I know it's BS and they're putting people other than themselves in danger. While I won't (or can't... because it's against forum rules... like advocating pretty much any illegal activity) ...I don't personally have an issue with folks doing a lot of stuff that is illegal, so long as it doesn't pose a substantial risk to people other than themselves. I did a lot of things like that as a kid. Many of us did.

If people want to do burn outs... doughnuts in an empty parking lot... or drive generally aggressively (accelerating fast... cornering hard... but not in such a manner that are putting everyone around them in danger) then I don't mind it too much. Complaining about each and every little thing is too, "old man cussing at youngins from the porch" and would be hypocritical for most of us. If folks are treating the cars filled with other people as obstacles to conquer, regardless of risk... then I'll happily call the law and give them plate numbers.

This community is suppose to have an element of sharing knowledge and experiences and enthusiasm about our specific cars... general car stuff, or randomness. People who endanger others for their own fun without a care are folks that are selfish are don't fit this mold, IMO. Anyways... that's how I see it.

As to the Facebook thing, and society in general, there are folks (trolls) who will pick fights about anything and everything just because. Facebook is bad though... the political threads are enough to have made me limit my posting to just family related stuff, bitching about whatever college course nonsense I'm doing at the time or about what I'm tinkering on. I don't bring up topics for debate at all. There's too many master debaters out there.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Great post, Charles. Yeah, it's one thing for somebody to be an enthusiast and drive their car in a sporty way. It's another thing to be a selfish idiot endangering yourself and anyone else on the road.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a group of buyers, of sports cars in general, that buy them to simply have them. They don’t “floor it” or ever drive the car super aggressively. Those are the ones that come unhinged when they see pulls or burnouts or whatever.

Then, there’s the other group that buys cars for what the manufacturer built them for...I’d put most buyers into this category. Manufacturers build these cars for a purpose and to with stand abuse.
You think the LSD is there for shits and giggles!?! The seat bolstering is there for looks!?! The minimal body roll is for ride comfort!?!

I bought the si, my third one, because I love curves and the go cart type feel and how easy they are to control when driven aggressively. And I’m pretty much aggressive every time I get in it. It’s like getting to ride your favorite rolller coaster everyday and anytime you want. I could give a rats ass who gets it next.

Little bit of a rant but one thing I can’t stand is the too cool for school crowd that drives a sports car around like a grocery getter and bemoans those that buy and drive them for their intended purpose!!

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
There is a group of buyers, of sports cars in general, that buy them to simply have them. They don’t “floor it” or ever drive the car super aggressively. Those are the ones that come unhinged when they see pulls or burnouts or whatever.

Then, there’s the other group that buys cars for what the manufacturer built them for...I’d put most buyers into this category. Manufacturers build these cars for a purpose and to with stand abuse.
You think the LSD is there for shits and giggles!?! The seat bolstering is there for looks!?! The minimal body roll is for ride comfort!?!

I bought the si, my third one, because I love curves and the go cart type feel and how easy they are to control when driven aggressively. And I’m pretty much aggressive every time I get in it. It’s like getting to ride your favorite rolller coaster everyday and anytime you want. I could give a rats ass who gets it next.

Little bit of a rant but one thing I can’t stand is the too cool for school crowd that drives a sports car around like a grocery getter and bemoans those that buy and drive them for their intended purpose!!
Haha - I am in agreement, somewhat. When people buy fast or great-handling cars, I do get annoyed when they NEVER use the car to its potential, or even half of it. One of my best friends is a chick with a 300 hp 2-door, she floors it almost every time we are in the car. I thank her for it every time, ha.

I think what people are complaining about is flat-out abuse. To each his or her own, I'm not down to abuse my car but I drive it very aggressively, and live in the hills, so I do a canyon run 3-4 times a week. That's a huge reason for why I got my Si - I knew it would maybe ride a little rough, but I actually get to make use of its potential on an almost-daily basis.

Yes I am lucky :)

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Haha - I am in agreement, somewhat. When people buy fast or great-handling cars, I do get annoyed when they NEVER use the car to its potential, or even half of it. One of my best friends is a chick with a 300 hp 2-door, she floors it almost every time we are in the car. I thank her for it every time, ha.

I think what people are complaining about is flat-out abuse. To each his or her own, I'm not down to abuse my car but I drive it very aggressively, and live in the hills, so I do a canyon run 3-4 times a week. That's a huge reason for why I got my Si - I knew it would maybe ride a little rough, but I actually get to make use of its potential on an almost-daily basis.

Yes I am lucky :)
The bay area has some incredible roads to drive. I rented a Mustang in 2008 and 2013, went down HWY 1 along the coast to Big Sur, drove the twisty mountain roads near Santa Cruz at night, Point Reyes, Napa. Felt like I was at a theme park.

OP
OP

JN259

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 3 series soon to be replaced
Country flag
To be clear, I’m more commenting on the attitude of driving the cars hard. The actual dangerous driving is another discussion that I have very very strong opinions on. I don’t want anyone getting hurt unecesarily doing what we all love so when I see people driving light idiots, street racing in almost any circumstance (exception being out in the desert with litteraly no other cars anywhere near by for miles but barely acceptable), stunting, videoing with one hand while driving aggressively, etc. I’m all for safe and responsible driving and condemn any example of unsafe driving. I’m exclusively commenting on the comments I see “this shit is why I don’t buy performance cars used”

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
REAL TALK: Some of those Type R Facebook groups are really toxic. Now I'm in a really decent group that talks sincerely about modding. One group I was in was full of haters. I mean really, jealous, ignorant haters. That group had like 4K members. There I was with all these hookups and connections here in Japan and they were hating! I had one company here in Japan that was ready to send out key chains and stickers to Type R members and then I straight up told them "I'm not even going to waste my time". My advice, don't listen to the negative energy. If you are in the financial position to buy a Type R and mod it, then you deserve to do whatever you want to do. This shit ain't cheap. PULL IT! I guess other members just worry about where and when you do your pulls. I sprint only at night.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a fairly general question, but it’s something that has been bothering me. People will post video of them doing pulls or burnouts and the community will rip them and call them out for “abusing” their car and point to the video as why they never buy used performance cars. My question is this: what exactly are you people modifying your cars for? I’m not saying that we should spend every drive bouncing off the rev limiter but it is nowhere near unreasonable to do a few pulls with the car you just modified . I get not wanting to buy a car that’s been driven hard but it seems very disingenuous to criticize people for doing what I’m pretty sure many people on this forum think is cool, putting the car through its paces.

Not looking to argue, just hoping to better understand what I’m missing and why people feel the way they do. This is a bigger issue on Facebook groups but I still see it here, to a lesser extent.
You cannot fault someone for modding their car and having fun with it. If it wasn't for the potential warranty issues and the fact it is my daily driver, I would have already modded my SI to a) get rid of the rev hang b) get a tad more power / throttle response and c) just for the joy of improving on an already great car. I may do an Acuity kit for the pedal spacing (too far apart to double clutch easily), but otherwise will sadly, be leaving it alone.

I don't track it, but even stock I bet the '17 SI will autocross well, and easily chew up most road courses. Times and videos posted on You Tube for the VIR Lightning Lap and Road America courses seem to bear this out.
Now, if only someone (Honda I m looking at you!) will time the Nurburgring in an SI, that would be great. And overdue. It has been a while since this SI was released, and all we have to represent is the CTR lap record , which while amazing, just makes all us SI owners or would be owners wonder why Honda - or somebody - has not clocked the current chassis on the Nordschlief.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Agree with most posts here. As an "elder" I appreciate any help I get, different perspective and general info and stories. I have no time for pettiness and who's what is bigger than mine. I'm also about freedom and while I don't agree with some things, I have NO issues with anyone who does anything as long as it doesn't hurt me, mine, or some one else. I have found with few exceptions the folks around here to be genuine and supportive, humorous and at times a bit contentious but disagreements bring new data and more to talk about.

I don't have the resources to do what I'd like with my ride (or anything else) but live vicariously through many of you. Crazy fast cars built by normal folks, smoking hot ladies (hat tip to the gals on here), good food, great whiskey, and rifles that can reach to the other hill............. well, that's sort of why we're here. And yes, every once in a while I make this car scare the crap out of me.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
No, no, no. I am saying I like watching "stupid driver fail" compilation videos where people do stuff so stupid where I can say, damn, I'm glad I did'nt do that. I drive aggressively from time to time
I love watching IIHS and NCAP crash videos. During each one I try to decide how F'd up i'd be if I were the dummies. Also, I've been called a dummy many times. o_O

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag

i like curves too.... and big butts

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I wonder how many of the people you are talking about either have bought a car that ended up not running as well as they thought it should, from the previous owner dogging it, or worry, a lot, about buying that car... I think it may also be a negative mentality that seems to really permeate the internet, and especially FaceBag.

I bought mine because it's fun and I can be aggressive in it. I have a reputation for driving hard (literally just had this conversation about an hour ago where a buddy said if you were to buy my car after me you may as well buy a clutch and new brakes with it), but I wouldn't have it any other way... I had a Mercury Sable that I drove hard, I drive my lawnmower hard, I give my motorcycle shit when I can. That's the point, if you want it to be, right?

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i like curves too.... and big butts
Haha!! I like a small but shapely butt...

I may have missed the point somewhat or communicated my point wrong. As many have said already, if they ain’t hurting or endangering someone else, why does anyone care what someone else does with THEIR car that THEY pay for??
Sponsored