Questions about communities critical nature.

JN259

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 3 series soon to be replaced
Country flag
This is a fairly general question, but it’s something that has been bothering me. People will post video of them doing pulls or burnouts and the community will rip them and call them out for “abusing” their car and point to the video as why they never buy used performance cars. My question is this: what exactly are you people modifying your cars for? I’m not saying that we should spend every drive bouncing off the rev limiter but it is nowhere near unreasonable to do a few pulls with the car you just modified . I get not wanting to buy a car that’s been driven hard but it seems very disingenuous to criticize people for doing what I’m pretty sure many people on this forum think is cool, putting the car through its paces.

Not looking to argue, just hoping to better understand what I’m missing and why people feel the way they do. This is a bigger issue on Facebook groups but I still see it here, to a lesser extent.
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
This is a fairly general question, but it’s something that has been bothering me. People will post video of them doing pulls or burnouts and the community will rip them and call them out for “abusing” their car and point to the video as why they never buy used performance cars. My question is this: what exactly are you people modifying your cars for? I’m not saying that we should spend every drive bouncing off the rev limiter but it is nowhere near unreasonable to do a few pulls with the car you just modified . I get not wanting to buy a car that’s been driven hard but it seems very disingenuous to criticize people for doing what I’m pretty sure many people on this forum think is cool, putting the car through its paces.

Not looking to argue, just hoping to better understand what I’m missing and why people feel the way they do. This is a bigger issue on Facebook groups but I still see it here, to a lesser extent.
You can post as many videos burning out as you want, I don't care. In fact I love to especially watch "burn out fail and show off fail videos". Post them all you want

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The groups on FaceBook are really toxic. I was in all of them and left them not too long after.
People think they know everything, people are jealous of others, ect. It's a real shit show.
I feel like on here there are a lot more people that help out and give their opinion but in a respectful way.

As for your question, my car is stock so I may be wrong, but I think they majority of people on here mod their car because it's a hobby. Also I don't see why you can't "abuse" the car a bit after modifying it or else what's the use. Also if you are buying a used car like a sport compact you should be going into the buying process with the knowledge that the car most likely was abused. If you don't want to take that risk buy a brand new one.

TheAsianNguyen

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I modify my car as a way to be in my own zone or personal space or a stress reliever. Everyone modifies their car as a means of expressing themselves. Of course it all is subjective to what they do but at the end of the day, what's theirs is theirs and what's yours is yours. Im willing to take the risks with what I do and so are others. Some might be naive when it comes to what their actions do. Some people also like having the fact that their car can beat x amount of cars and bloat on what these 1.5T engines can do. Its also fun to know that our civics have potential to do things

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
FB groups for the FK8 are 80% misinformation and 20% real-world knowledge. Also, they're full of people who don't know how to do a simple google search or a forum search.

How many times can you ask "what exhaust should I get?" or "who daily drives their R?" and my very favorite "which intake gives me the most gains?".

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP

JN259

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 3 series soon to be replaced
Country flag
I’m glad that the community cas a whole doesn’t support this attitude. It seems it’s just a vocal minority.

This whole attitude fed in to my frustration with the car community as a whole and there desire to have manufacturers make cars like a Porsche 911and want it stick and raw but only ever would buy it if it depreciated to $15,000 and was driven by an elderly couple that kept it in third at most.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I think these types of videos are mostly perceived as attention seeking or bragging behavior... generally, people don't like show offs... So we make nasty comments and hope they crash or blow up their car... regardless if we participate in the same activity or not. Everybody's a hypocrite.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m glad that the community cas a whole doesn’t support this attitude. It seems it’s just a vocal minority.

This whole attitude fed in to my frustration with the car community as a whole and there desire to have manufacturers make cars like a Porsche 911and want it stick and raw but only ever would buy it if it depreciated to $15,000 and was driven by an elderly couple that kept it in third at most.
I bought a car from an elderly gentlemen who probably never drove it past 50 mph, and hey the car was in prime condition. I would rather buy it from an elderly gentlemen than some guy (or girl) who thrashes it. As far as posting videos of people thrashing their own cars, I'm all for watching stupidity at the expense of other than me. No offense intended

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mustang burnout fails touch a special place in my heart.
I search "Mustang crash compilation" on YouTube every Monday. There's always new content and it makes me smile. :rofl:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

People are either "haters" (god I hate that word haha), jealous, or want to be "holier than thou". It's really that simple. If you wanted a car to not rip on, go buy a Geo Prism.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
As far as posting videos of people thrashing their own cars, I'm all for watching stupidity at the expense of other than me. No offense intended
I don't want to put words in your mouth so I'll ask, are you saying it's stupid to drive your sporty car aggressively? I feel that's what they're built for.
Sponsored