amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
With all the threads going on recently about the quest for more power, and the blown motors that resulted, several members like @kshawn are now building better, stronger motors with rods and pistons that can withstand the additional torque and PSI being thrown at it. The current block he is building (pictured below) is rated for up to 600 WHP! Damn!! OK, so now you have an engine that can withstand all the power you throw at it. Now with all that additional power, you also find that you have to add the following:

Upgraded cooling. This sucker gets hot!
Upgraded clutch. The stock just ain't gonna hold it anymore
Upgraded brakes. You now have to stop this train
Upgraded suspension. You have to keep the body roll in check
Bigger tires. Too much torque steer with the stock tires
New injectors
New ECU

You probably get my point. According to a question answered by Two Step Performance, the cost of building out the engine for DIY would be around $10K.

So my question is, at the end of the day when you are done and taking this vehicle out on the road or track...is it still a Civic Si?

BTW, this is just a question, I am curious what others think. I completely respect and am awed by people like @kshawn and @JDMpo0kie that took the risk and pushed the envelope

Honda Civic 10th gen Question: When is an Si no longer an Si KShawns Motor.JPG

PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH MY SHINY NEW ENGINE. PROPERTY OF KSHAWN
Sponsored

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Of course it's still an Si. My analogy would be this... better, stronger, faster... :cool:

cafecito820

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SI is just the name of the template you start with. Nothing you do to it changes that.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Upgraded cooling isn't really needed. But an oil cooler never hurts. As for injectors and ECU. I don't intend on upgrading the ECU anytime soon or if ever. Motec is $$$$. But yah more fuel is needed. You can do this with a PI, or like me, meth injection.

And no I don't really consider it an SI at this point. But I'll keep the badge the way it is lol.

Oh and this just happened... :thumbsup:

https://twostepperformance.com/built-l15b7-1-5l-civic-for-the-2017-honda-civic-si/

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Above 300whp it’s a civic Si-R after 400whp it’s a Type Si-R and after 500whp it’s an ek hatch

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Upgraded cooling isn't really needed. But an oil cooler never hurts. As for injectors and ECU. I don't intend on upgrading the ECU anytime soon or if ever. Motec is $$$$. But yah more fuel is needed. You can do this with a PI, or like me, meth injection.

And no I don't really consider it an SI at this point. But I'll keep the badge the way it is lol.

Oh and this just happened... :thumbsup:

https://twostepperformance.com/built-l15b7-1-5l-civic-for-the-2017-honda-civic-si/
I see you have a 3" custom exhaust, does it have a resonator? Is it loud? I am curious if your new engine would be louder than the stock Si engine, but with a custom exhaust that would probably be hard to tell

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I see you have a 3" custom exhaust, does it have a resonator? Is it loud? I am curious if your new engine would be louder than the stock Si engine, but with a custom exhaust that would probably be hard to tell
I have the PRL downpipe and FP. After that is the high flow CAT, then Res. 2 flowmaster outlaw mufflers.

It's still decently loud. You can find a startup video on YouTube of mine.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
Still an Si ;)

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the PRL downpipe and FP. After that is the high flow CAT, then Res. 2 flowmaster outlaw mufflers.

It's still decently loud. You can find a startup video on YouTube of mine.

Ha ha yeah it's loud! I'm curious if the new engine you are building would be quieter, but with your exhaust that will be harder to determine

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Yah I doubt I'll personally be able to tell the difference. If I had a ported head things might drastically change

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Type-Si.

In all seriousness it's still an Si. I think if people did a Type-R motor swap then we'd start talking about a Type-R Sedan or Coupe.

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
FBO+internals is what I would call that. If he builds the head, upgrades the gearset and LSD, I'd start calling it a built beast, and if he somehow converts it to AWD, I'd call it Frankenstein.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Back in the 90's growing up in Los Angeles I used to buy and sell cars I bought from tow yard auctions. Sometimes I would come out with a gem for $400, and sometimes a piece of junk that I would sell to a junk yard and cut my losses. A friend told me to check out a tow yard in South Central Los Angeles. It was one of the biggest tow yards I had seen, but was also in a area that looked literally like a third world country. I had never seen so many newer cars in very good condition, and nobody except junk yard people were bidding on them. A closer look, and I understood. I opened the hood of one of them...and was greeted to emptiness. No engine. No trans. Engine bay stripped clean. The rest of the car completely intact. Los Angeles, the chop shop capital of America!

I'm thinking in a few years to head down to one of these tow yards and see if I can pick up a stripped 10th gen Si for cheap, and put a Two Step Performance built engine in it. Every car stolen in California ends up in two places: Los Angeles or Mexico. I might get lucky!
Sponsored