question regarding maintenance minder

nightlife mingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
So my 2018 EX-T started showing the code indicating that the transmission fluid needs to be changed at around 52k miles.

My question is, I already changed the fluid around 35k. So the maintenance minder indication is only due to the odometer and my driving habits (and can thus be ignored)- right? Like, the car has no idea that the fluid has already been changed and it's not suggesting the fluid change based on the actual performance of the transmission or other indicators that the fluid isn't good?
Sponsored

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
Maintenance minder only sees work being done when you reset the codes. When I rotate my tires, there is no way to reset the sub code without resetting a main (oil change) code.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
So my 2018 EX-T started showing the code indicating that the transmission fluid needs to be changed at around 52k miles.

My question is, I already changed the fluid around 35k. So the maintenance minder indication is only due to the odometer and my driving habits (and can thus be ignored)- right? Like, the car has no idea that the fluid has already been changed and it's not suggesting the fluid change based on the actual performance of the transmission or other indicators that the fluid isn't good?
When you serviced the trans fluid, you should have gone into the maintenance minder and reset the trans fluid indicator even when it didn't say it was due. Then it would have reset the clock on the minder for it and it wouldn't be telling you it’s due now. The computer doesnt know you serviced it unless you tell it that you did.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
you NEED to reset the MM whenever you do a service, it's not actually testing the fluids to see there conditions (that requires laboratories with millions of dollars worth of equipment), it uses a calculation based on how you drive and all the sensor data and throttle position and gear position and all that kind of stuff that the computer can monitor to estimate how long a fluid should be good for. It can't know the fluid was changed unless you tell it the fluid was changed which is done by resetting the MM.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
True, for those with the touch screen. For us lowly LX owners, we don't have the option. It's all or nothing with the reset.
Yeah you’re right. I wasn’t considering the LX/sport unit. I put 61k miles on a 2016 LX in 3 years.
Sponsored