Question on buying out of state to bring back to California

NorcalCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #3855, 2007 Honda Civic Si, 2001 Honda Civic EX (Sold)
Country flag
I have locked down on a CTR from Oregon and was planning on bringing the car back to California to register. The salesman told me that after I buy the car and bring it back down to California that I would need to go get a SMOG test. I wasn't aware of this till now. After doing some research, it seems like California has the toughest regulation laws. There is an emissions label on the hood of the car that declares whether it can pass all 50 states or 49 excluding California. This could be a deal breaker for me if it can't pass in California. Can any Type R owners look at your hood to tell me if it is 50 states? Anyone have any experience doing this before? Below is a sample of the emissions sticker and websites where I got the info. Any info would be appreciated.

Honda Civic 10th gen Question on buying out of state to bring back to California 1

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?...ntent_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

https://www.carfax.com/blog/buying-out-of-state
Sponsored

vader2k

Darkside rider & Senior member
First Name
Alonzo-Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R. #433 (EPB). 07 Civic LX (TW)
Country flag
3 weeks after all steps taken
True that. Just wait for DMV to send you paperwork that they received sales tax pymt, dealer paperwork, etc. 2nd. make a DMV appt. 3rd. smog your car. 4th. attend appt, and bring all sales paperwork, CA cert smog test, check book/debit card,.. . 5th. car is registered! ;)

OP
OP
NorcalCTR

NorcalCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! If the car is 50 state legal and can pass SMOG emissions in all states, then why do you have to SMOG a brand new car after you buy it out of state?

vader2k

Darkside rider & Senior member
First Name
Alonzo-Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R. #433 (EPB). 07 Civic LX (TW)
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! If the car is 50 state legal and can pass SMOG emissions in all states, then why do you have to SMOG a brand new car after you buy it out of state?
CA./DMV law. They just do. I know, it's a waste of time and its stupid but we live in a tough emission state.

stezzzo

R-01014 Owner (Polished Metal Metallic)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2007 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will be doing this song and dance next week! Bought mine in Washington and had it shipped to Santa Clarita. Dealer is saying the DMV will give me 30 days after proof of sales tax paid. Did not know about the smog test. I will post if I run in to any snags.

OP
OP
NorcalCTR

NorcalCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I will be doing this song and dance next week! Bought mine in Washington and had it shipped to Santa Clarita. Dealer is saying the DMV will give me 30 days after proof of sales tax paid. Did not know about the smog test. I will post if I run in to any snags.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Do you mind sharing how much the shipping cost? It is also something I might be interested in doing.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag