Question on Acceleration Weight Transfer

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a question that may not make sense to some and seem impossible to others but you don't unless you ask.

Is there a device or something that can be installed and/or changed on a vehicle that during acceleration would cause the weight being transferred to the rear wheels to transfer to the front wheels?

You step on the gas, weight transfers to the rear but the device immediately interrupts and puts that same weight (force) back to the front of the car. And keeps it there. Thanks!

BTW: I've been looking and I know someone, somewhere has made a contraption like this that is way smarter than I am. So I ask!
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Vehicle Showcase
No, but you can setup your suspension to help with that.

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! That is part of the plan. At least when I'm at the strip. Spring spacers, airing up the rear tires to max pressure while reducing the front tire pressures (Prevents wheel hop and upward motion during acceleration while helping off idle grip), etc, etc.

Was curious if in this day and age there was a device of sorts that would not only prevent rear squat but would actually exert force back towards the front once force was exerted on it. I haven't been in the loop with FWD stuff since all my other cars are AWD. Just doing my homework on a few things and planning ahead. Thanks though!

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I have seen gas shocks installed lengthwise front to rear to help reduce from end lift in a low 9 second 3rd gen fbody. But in terms of actively shifting weight.....no ...not likely worthwhile either since such a contraption would just add weight

"Simplify and add lightness"

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport Manual, 2007 Honda S2000 (STR)
Country flag
Your car is already equipped with a system to transfer weight back to the front wheels, simply press the pedal directly to the left of the accelerator to activate.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your car is already equipped with a system to transfer weight back to the front wheels, simply press the pedal directly to the left of the accelerator to activate.
Oh...I see what you mean. Since I was talking about transferring weight to the front of the car while accelerating, you must be talking about driving on ice going down a hill. Hitting your brakes would cause weight transfer to the front and have you accelerate. Ok...got it.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
No, not really. The only thing you can do to help minimize weight transfer is to lower the CoG

Honda Civic 10th gen Question on Acceleration Weight Transfer vehicle-longitudinal-load-transfer-parts-iiimar13-19-638

You see there is basically nothing in that equation other than cg height. It's basic physics.

Thanks! That is part of the plan. At least when I'm at the strip. Spring spacers, airing up the rear tires to max pressure while reducing the front tire pressures (Prevents wheel hop and upward motion during acceleration while helping off idle grip), etc, etc.

Was curious if in this day and age there was a device of sorts that would not only prevent rear squat but would actually exert force back towards the front once force was exerted on it. I haven't been in the loop with FWD stuff since all my other cars are AWD. Just doing my homework on a few things and planning ahead. Thanks though!
There is a suspension concept called anti-squat or anti-dive. If you are fabricating your own suspension geometry and chassis hook up points you can dial in as much anti-squat as you want. Note this does not affect weight transfer in any way whatsoever, it just keeps your nose pointed straight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, not really. The only thing you can do to help minimize weight transfer is to lower the CoG

vehicle-longitudinal-load-transfer-parts-iiimar13-19-638.jpg

You see there is basically nothing in that equation other than cg height. It's basic physics.

There is a suspension concept called anti-squat or anti-dive. If you are fabricating your own suspension geometry and chassis hook up points you can dial in as much anti-squat as you want. Note this does not affect weight transfer in any way whatsoever, it just keeps your nose pointed straight.

This is great! Thank you for this post. Will be watching the video in a minute but this, the formula calculations, etc, is right up my alley on what I'm looking for. Really appreciate it.

Actually it led me to this video. I'm cool at this point.

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
old school trick is to install some form of travel limiting device on both front springs
Sponsored