Question for those who Autocross'd in stock tires..

tsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Just took out the CTR to autocross after 18 years or so and most guys in class were running autocross tires...

I'm wondering given a fast course and running our stock Continental tires in about 60s,
approximately how many seconds would I shave off the time if I had autocross tires from your experience?

I was sliding around in my fastest 2 laps with VSA turned off.. and someone later told me I had rolled over the front tires to their sidewalls based on the look of the wear..
Sponsored

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
They're not so much autocross tires as just 200 tw tires that work well with autocross as well as other motorsports.

Going from the stock 20s and Continental 245s to some lighter 18" TE37s and 265 200tw tires I was quite a bit faster. Since no two autocross courses are the same I can't say an exact gain but I can say at Thunderhill west I picked up 2.5-3 seconds a lap. They help immensely, although, if you care about classing and all that BS you're going to go from DS to STU with that change unless you buy the 19" NSX front wheel or that one Motegi.

Reactions: tsw

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think OE Conti is probably stickier in dry than the Conti-ECS(300TW Max Perf Summer). But in my old GTI on Conti ECS on mostly dry concrete in 60F ish weather, Rival S 1.5 was about 4 sec faster on a 50-ish sec course....

Reactions: tsw

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
You'll find more autocross-specific info in that forum. As @.grimace notes, in Street class there are limits around what you can change.

You can run any wheel that comes in the stock 8.5 width, +/- 7mm from stock offset (so, 53 to 67), and is +/- 1 inch in diameter. Most CTR folks buy the NSX wheels or the much cheaper Motegis in 19x8.5 size, as there is more choice and less expense when you go to buy tires in 19-inch sizes.

You can run any 200+ TW tire (with a few exclusions) in any width that will fit on the rim; the go-to tires are the BF Goodrich Rival and the Bridgestone RE-71R.

On a grippy 60-second course the difference between stock tires and a Bridgestones would be a second or more for a driver with reliable skills. They're not that far off Hoosiers from the mid-2000s.

OP
OP

tsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Thanks guys... I was wondering how competitive I was after 18 years (I was 5s behind class lead)... and decide whether to get new set of rims and tires or possibly turn the s2000 into a project car like a few folks I saw
Sponsored