Question for the WOP owners.

MyPrecious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Hi all, I have a question for you fellow White Orchid Pearl Owners. I just noticed that I have an oddball colored paint section on my car. It's that long, thin painted strip between the hood and the chrome bar on the grill of the car. The paint in that area is a flat white with no pearl sheen to it. I can only assume that this is the Taffeta White color(?). Has anyone else noticed this on their car, or do I have a one time assembly oops from the factory?
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I *suspect* Honda tried to paint this part on your car in WOP, not the Taffeta, but this strip is part of the bumper skin, is painted separately from the hood and, I suspect, has an additive in the paint to allow the flex needed for the bumper. (Paint without this additive just cracks when flexed.) Because of all this, it tends to not be perfect match. Some colors show this worse than others. And this particular spot is about the worst case Honda could have picked for showing this mismatch. There was a prior thread on this--for multiple paint colors--and several posters were going to go and ask their dealers to get it to match. Not sure what became of all of that.

OP
OP
MyPrecious

MyPrecious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Thanks for the reply dick w. That makes sense. It's really blends in well and is hard to see, so it doesn't bother me at all. I've had the car for a couple of weeks now. And it's been through a couple washing's and several layers of glaze/sealant/wax, and this is the first time I'm actually noticing it!

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The mismatch on ours, a Modern Steel Met, is more or less visible as a function of light and viewing angle. Did the car the other day in Meguiars ultimate polish/wax; sure looks good. The box for the wax said something about "effortless". Lol.

OP
OP
MyPrecious

MyPrecious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Thanks Hal, that pic is a major help. So guys, I definitely have taffeta white parts on my car. Now... Here's the kicker, after taking another serious look in the sunlight. It turns out that my whole front bumper is taffeta too. Whaaaa, how have I missed this?! And, double kicker, I just had my underbody spoilers put on the other day. The spoilers are the correct Pearl color. Here are some pics I just took with my phone. I'm thinking I'm just gonna let it be. What do you guys think?

And dick w, yeah 'effortless' wax my eye. That's what they all say as our arms are falling off our bodies taking the stuff off. Must be good stuff if you're using it, and I've been trying to find a good paste wax to add to my arsenal of products. Any white residue on the black trim, or does it come off clean?
Honda Civic 10th gen Question for the WOP owners. IMG_20160422_122524427
Honda Civic 10th gen Question for the WOP owners. IMG_20160422_123344033
Honda Civic 10th gen Question for the WOP owners. IMG_20160422_122701925

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any white residue on the black trim, or does it come off clean?
I've used Meguiars Gold Class line previously. For the Civic, I used their Ultimate liquid in large part because it claims to leave no residue on the black trim. Very pleased on that score. Jury is out still on how it holds up over time.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You might want to go see if the dealer has a Tafetta LX you can park it next to. The match requires both the pearlescent effect to match and the shade. I'm not sure WOP white and Tafetta white are that close in shade. But the pearlescent certainly doesn't look close in your photos. I'm also skeptical they are Tafetta simply because Honda builds cars in color runs and sequencing parts to the line is pretty basic auto building skill. (There were some videos of the Greensburg Honda Civic line posted late last fall--unlike many other manufacturers' lines, you see a number of cars moving down the line sequentially in the same color.) Not saying they aren't Tafetta, just skeptical and thinking of other scenarios.

Given how hard it is to tell many of the pearl whites and the distance at which you can tell, I'm not sure you can get ahead messing with it. I'd for sure try to sit it next to a known Tafetta car--same lighting, same angles--and see if you can resolve that question. For my bucks, I'd have a lot easier time living with a car where the pearlescent isn't tremendously uniform from sheet metal to bumpers and other trim pieces than one where I knew the color was fundamentally the wrong one. '04 Acura TLs in the Anthracite Metallic had drivers doors where the metallic didn't match the rear door or front fender. They must have painted the door in an odd orientation or something. Drove me crazy until I started noticing it on lots of other Anthracite '04 TLs I saw out and about. Then I kinda got over it. But could still see it the day we sold it eight years later.

OP
OP
MyPrecious

MyPrecious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Thanks again for the input Dick W. That's pretty much what I was thinking too. Just made me wonder if mine was the only one, or if that was just the way they came out of the factory. The color is pretty close, but totally flat white without the pearl. Heck, it's taken me this long for me to even notice! But yeah, just gonna leave her be, as is. The last thing I would want right now is to have the dealer tear into it to replace it. And hey, if for some reason down the line it starts to look too obvious, or it just starts driving me nuts, I have a great excuse for a custom paint job! ;):D
Sponsored