gbhstrat

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
Country flag
I am looking into buying a 2020 Type R as both a daily driver and for lapping day (HPDE) events. Some background: I am a older guy with years of track experience. I am a driving instructor with my local Porsche/BMW/Audi clubs in Washington State. I am considering a type R for a couple of reasons and I am looking for feedback on my thinking. I want to retire in a year and not have to give up HPDE events. I need an economical car to track about 5-8 time a year and be a reasonable street car. My wife likes the Civic R and that’s half the battle when I am looking at cars. The BMW M3 is perfect but I am concerned about the tire and brake cost. My son has a 2016 M3 with a track pack and it’s one of the best cars I have driven on the track. Tires and Brake cost are just too high. I don’t expect the Civic to be in the same league as the M3 but it’s the driving experience that I actually enjoy now. I have owned a Camaro, 2 Porsches, 2 STIs and current have an Audi S4. I only keep a car a couple of years, drive the crap out of them and move on. I can’t afford to do this in retirement. My thinking is to get a 2020 type R with the better cooling and two piece rotors, get a set of 18” tires for the street and track and keep the 20’s for resale someday. My question for those that track their CTR’s, do you agree with my thinking? Are there other considerations I am missing for the maintenance of the Honda?

My other question is how you track prep your car. Are stock pads OK for a ½ hour run group? Do you swap pads for HPDE days (Pagid yellows)? Are their other mods that help track related issues like heat?
Sponsored

Hoobastnk90

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Well one concern is the heat issue it remains to be seen if the 2020 model will have the same issues as the previous years.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
The 2020 models also have a new brake compound along with a new rotor set up so its hard to tell. Based off previous setups, rotors and pads would need to be replaced for track use. Oil cooler is also a must.

Code Monkey

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I doubt the overheating issue will be solved completely on the new models.
I believe the coolant gets too hot through the headifold and you need a more efficient turbo that generates less heat.

My minimalist track pack is:

18" wheels and tires
HardRace front lower ball joints
racing brake pads
racing brake fluid
some sort of front tow hook
good 5w30 oil

Not immediately required, but useful:

rear camber arms
stiffer RMM

To track on a budget, you really need a Miata/BRZ though.

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Go for it, the CTR is great track car and totally livable the rest of the time.

I tracked mine 5-6x last year with only swapping the OEM brake fluid. The stock pads do pretty good - not the best, but you dont have to take them off right away.

Get the car, and have fun - its an absolute blast on track, totally its element.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Go for it! Depending on how hard you push it, you probably will need to address cooling, but it is worth it. With just a tune and good tires you should be able to keep up with that M3 on most tracks.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
If you track on warmer days or in warmer climates then you may want to consider a turbo blanket (USR, PTP), a grill with more airflow (J’s Racing, E-Bay), an oil cooler (USR, HKS, Greddy), a larger IC (PRL, HKS, Mishimoto, etc), and maybe a titanium inlet pipe (PRL, Rampage). Some have also gone with a carbon hood with more cooling as well (Varis, J’s Racing, etc.)

Many have gone for smaller diameter wheels with better rubber as well such as Titan 7’s, Acura NSX, etc.

Last edited:

wassen

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First important point is to turn off the traction control completely. Wished someone had told me this earlier. If you don’t do this you will burn up your front pads, caliper dust gaskets and eventually boil the fluid risking loosing brakes. There is a guide in how to completely turn off the traction control.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Stock vs stock the Type R is quicker around most tracks than a modern M3, no need for a tune. The M3 has it on the straights but the Type R has better braking and cornering by enough of a margin to make up for it.
Yep. With my tune I've been able to keep up with a modern M3 on the straights at Daytona and absolutely destroyed it in the turns although I suspect he didn't have the best tires. Type Rs surprise a lot of people in the turns and even with the stock brakes it can out brake most cars.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
First important point is to turn off the traction control completely. Wished someone had told me this earlier. If you don’t do this you will burn up your front pads, caliper dust gaskets and eventually boil the fluid risking loosing brakes. There is a guide in how to completely turn off the traction control.
That should only be if you're triggering ABS.

OP
OP

gbhstrat

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the info. I have a line on a polished metal 2020 through a dealer with what was a March build but who knows with the virus shutdown.
Heat issues will be what I look into first. I did a full STI stage 2 build with my Son to teach automotive principals back in 2005. We had a 450 wheel HP STI. Aftermarket turbos, injectors, front mount, mustang dyno tune etc. 20K plus in just parts including a race radiator and it was heat that created the biggest issues on the track. We went through 4 STIs since then. (2004, 2010, 2013, 2018). My son switched to a M3 and I have a Audi S4 now. The Audi does OK but the M3 with a comp package is a beast. Looking forward to the Honda.

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
I am looking into buying a 2020 Type R as both a daily driver and for lapping day (HPDE) events. Some background: I am a older guy with years of track experience. I am a driving instructor with my local Porsche/BMW/Audi clubs in Washington State. I am considering a type R for a couple of reasons and I am looking for feedback on my thinking. I want to retire in a year and not have to give up HPDE events. I need an economical car to track about 5-8 time a year and be a reasonable street car. My wife likes the Civic R and that’s half the battle when I am looking at cars. The BMW M3 is perfect but I am concerned about the tire and brake cost. My son has a 2016 M3 with a track pack and it’s one of the best cars I have driven on the track. Tires and Brake cost are just too high. I don’t expect the Civic to be in the same league as the M3 but it’s the driving experience that I actually enjoy now. I have owned a Camaro, 2 Porsches, 2 STIs and current have an Audi S4. I only keep a car a couple of years, drive the crap out of them and move on. I can’t afford to do this in retirement. My thinking is to get a 2020 type R with the better cooling and two piece rotors, get a set of 18” tires for the street and track and keep the 20’s for resale someday. My question for those that track their CTR’s, do you agree with my thinking? Are there other considerations I am missing for the maintenance of the Honda?

My other question is how you track prep your car. Are stock pads OK for a ½ hour run group? Do you swap pads for HPDE days (Pagid yellows)? Are their other mods that help track related issues like heat?
I am thinking along the same lines as you! I have a 2020 CTR on order as well.

I have several track cars and they all cost a lot of coin to keep tires and brakes on them. My home track is Road America as I live 10 minutes from it! My favorite car to track is my 2016 Mustang GT350R. Very fun car to drive on track. It eats tires and brakes like crazy because of the hp and weight. 1 set of tires and brakes every weekend. (~$2500)

I am on a Champ Car team running a 1986 Mercedes 190E 16V and have learned that low weight in a car makes it much more fun! I don't need to be the fastest to have fun. I want a car that is fun to drive without absolutely lighting money on fire every weekend. I think this car will be fun and cheaper to drive.

I am hoping with the Civic Type R weighing 3100 lbs and 300 hp will be able to make it at least 2-3 weekends between tire changes and brake pads. Both tires and brakes will be cheaper than the GT350R as well.

I am looking to purchase a set of the Titan 7 wheels in 18x9.5 with RS4 tires, change brake fluid to Castrol SRF, and brake pads to Raybestos. I do not want to add a tune and am hoping the additional cooling mods for 2020 will keep it cool enough to make it through a 30 minute session.

I think the cost of running this car will be much cheaper than what I am used to. I am hoping it will punch above its weight class and surprise some unsuspecting drivers out there! I am hoping to Road Trip more in this car to other tracks.

I had 0 interest in buying a CTR until I saw that they are finally addressing the overheating issues for 2020. Car seemed solid except for this huge oversight by Honda. The car has to stay cool to stay on track!

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I am thinking along the same lines as you! I have a 2020 CTR on order as well.

I have several track cars and they all cost a lot of coin to keep tires and brakes on them. My home track is Road America as I live 10 minutes from it! My favorite car to track is my 2016 Mustang GT350R. Very fun car to drive on track. It eats tires and brakes like crazy because of the hp and weight. 1 set of tires and brakes every weekend. (~$2500)

I am on a Champ Car team running a 1986 Mercedes 190E 16V and have learned that low weight in a car makes it much more fun! I don't need to be the fastest to have fun. I want a car that is fun to drive without absolutely lighting money on fire every weekend. I think this car will be fun and cheaper to drive.

I am hoping with the Civic Type R weighing 3100 lbs and 300 hp will be able to make it at least 2-3 weekends between tire changes and brake pads. Both tires and brakes will be cheaper than the GT350R as well.

I am looking to purchase a set of the Titan 7 wheels in 18x9.5 with RS4 tires, change brake fluid to Castrol SRF, and brake pads to Raybestos. I do not want to add a tune and am hoping the additional cooling mods for 2020 will keep it cool enough to make it through a 30 minute session.

I think the cost of running this car will be much cheaper than what I am used to. I am hoping it will punch above its weight class and surprise some unsuspecting drivers out there! I am hoping to Road Trip more in this car to other tracks.

I had 0 interest in buying a CTR until I saw that they are finally addressing the overheating issues for 2020. Car seemed solid except for this huge oversight by Honda. The car has to stay cool to stay on track!
I ran that exact combo of RS4, SRF, and ST43 pads. It was a good combo for sure and should last several track days.

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
I ran that exact combo of RS4, SRF, and ST43 pads. It was a good combo for sure and should last several track days.
What were your thoughts?

1. Huge difference v the factory tire/wheels?

2. Could you push the car hard without the brakes going away? Did the ST43's cause any braking issues because of the aggressive bite?

3. Can you get 4-6 track days out of the tires if you rotate front to back between days?

Happy to hear this is a good setup.
Sponsored