Question about the Spoon Sports rigid collars install

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Hi All,

I'm about to find a shop to help install the Spoon Sports rigid collars (front & rear). I feel the shop *may* not have the Honda CTR service manual (or nowadays - online subscription service to Honda).

I'm a little uneasy with not torquing the frame bolts correctly. So for the fellow members that have the Spoon Sports rigid collars.- can you post the torque specs for the frame bolts.

Thanks!
Sponsored

solidconceptgroup

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, Accord V6
Country flag
Did you install them already? and if so, how's the ride? too stiff? I just ordered my springs and wanted to get a set of collars, was wondering if they make a diff.

OP
OP
ToofHurts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Did you install them already? and if so, how's the ride? too stiff? I just ordered my springs and wanted to get a set of collars, was wondering if they make a diff.
Getting the rigid collars and my new wheels mounted on Tuesday. I'll keep you posted.

Just hard finding a shop who can perform the installation of the RCs.

solidconceptgroup

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, Accord V6
Country flag
Getting the rigid collars and my new wheels mounted on Tuesday. I'll keep you posted.

Just hard finding a shop who can perform the installation of the RCs.
True, I spoke with Tom at Go Tuning and he sent me to the shop they get work done at, too bad your in Jersey, bro :-(

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi.
Just wonder if you can provide any review?

And do you need to drop the subframe for installation?
Shop here where i am want me to pay $600 for labour.. i find it crazy expensive ..

Any tips for installation??
Thank you

ImTheStatMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester XT
Country flag
Hi.
Just wonder if you can provide any review?

And do you need to drop the subframe for installation?
Shop here where i am want me to pay $600 for labour.. i find it crazy expensive ..

Any tips for installation??
Thank you
I installed these by myself in my garage. You do not need to fully drop the front or rear subframes to install.

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
I installed these by myself in my garage. You do not need to fully drop the front or rear subframes to install.
Same - Very easy to do, basically just need a socket set / torque wrench and a pry bar to move the sub frame if needed.

NYR2424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Same - Very easy to do, basically just need a socket set / torque wrench and a pry bar to move the sub frame if needed.
How does it drive now? Notice a difference? Looking for a review if possible.

ImTheStatMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester XT
Country flag
Personally, I didn’t install them for any ride/drive improvements. I installed them for better subframe alignment as I saw that several people had issues with caster even with an alignment. I pretty much installed mine and went straight to the alignment shop.

Full disclosure: I’m cheap and went with the knockoff Magic Collars.

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
I installed these around the same time I installed the full RV6 suspension setup, mainly to minimize the number of alignments I would need once I finished wrenching everything around. So I can't say I could pick out the impact from these parts alone but do feel like they help to solidify the chassis and suspension as a system and keep everything from moving around once it is set where you want it.

EFEM1FB6FK8

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8, 2018 FK7 Sport Touring, 73 Mazda RX2
Country flag
My GF and I did my front rigid collars a few months ago. We did it in my garage with 4 jack stands and the proper tools at hand. We tried doing it in stages but we found it was best to lower the front subframe slowly. We used my jack to support and slowly lower the front subframe. The removal of all the subtray clips was a pain as well.

Now the rear subframe we did this past Saturday. I read other threads that caution being careful with something dealing with a fuel system which if done incorrectly can cause damage and a check engine light.
So we used to jacks to support the rear subframe and started on the passenger side. We could not get enough space to clear so we slowly loosen the driver sides bolts till we had just enough clearance for the rigid collar. We installed the passenger side bolts and used the jack to raise the passenger side of the rear subframe but not all the way.

Going back to the driver side we took more care in lowering the subframe. I used a flat head screwdriver to pry in the rigid collar due to only wanting lower the subframe just enough to install the rigid collar. The drivers side bolts we lowered R1 and R3 then we removed R2 bolt to install the rigid collar. After that it was easy to install R1 and R3 rigid collars. We torque everything to spec.

We had no issues at startup.

NYR2424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My GF and I did my front rigid collars a few months ago. We did it in my garage with 4 jack stands and the proper tools at hand. We tried doing it in stages but we found it was best to lower the front subframe slowly. We used my jack to support and slowly lower the front subframe. The removal of all the subtray clips was a pain as well.

Now the rear subframe we did this past Saturday. I read other threads that caution being careful with something dealing with a fuel system which if done incorrectly can cause damage and a check engine light.
So we used to jacks to support the rear subframe and started on the passenger side. We could not get enough space to clear so we slowly loosen the driver sides bolts till we had just enough clearance for the rigid collar. We installed the passenger side bolts and used the jack to raise the passenger side of the rear subframe but not all the way.

Going back to the driver side we took more care in lowering the subframe. I used a flat head screwdriver to pry in the rigid collar due to only wanting lower the subframe just enough to install the rigid collar. The drivers side bolts we lowered R1 and R3 then we removed R2 bolt to install the rigid collar. After that it was easy to install R1 and R3 rigid collars. We torque everything to spec.

We had no issues at startup.
Thank you for detailed install.

I was going to say instead of buying these, you can just buy some cheap thick washers and they perform the same purpose. But looks like the rigid collars have some indentations on them.

How do you like the drive? Do you feel a difference?

cariboublue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Mazda 3
Country flag
Probably going to install these next week. Did everyone use new bolts or just reuse their old bolts? All the videos I've seen of people doing installations, even the one done at Go-Tuning, they re-use the same bolts.
Sponsored