sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
So I’ve been scouring the Internet... looking for potential upgrades... and I decided I would probably go with a CAI as my first “performance” upgrade (just wanna hear the engine better haha)

However, I’ve seen somewhere that you shouldn’t do any major upgrades without a proper tune because mods like CAI or EXHAUST without a tune would hurt the car more because it would then be “running too lean” or “running too rich”.

Anyone have any input on this?
Sponsored

MIKROMO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan, 2017 Subaru Forester
Country flag
So I’ve been scouring the Internet... looking for potential upgrades... and I decided I would probably go with a CAI as my first “performance” upgrade (just wanna hear the engine better haha)

However, I’ve seen somewhere that you shouldn’t do any major upgrades without a proper tune because mods like CAI or EXHAUST without a tune would hurt the car more because it would then be “running too lean” or “running too rich”.

Anyone have any input on this?
Modern fuel injection should adjust for minor intake (K&N filter) and exhaust changes (different tips or resonator delete), but, anything too major will probably need a tune.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can generally get away with a CAI and/or FP-back exhaust without requiring a tune. Anything after that and you should strongly consider getting a tuning device. Note that even if you get an intake and exhaust a tuning device will help you maximize those performance upgrades.

Danger2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (red)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can generally get away with a CAI and/or FP-back exhaust without requiring a tune. Anything after that and you should strongly consider getting a tuning device. Note that even if you get an intake and exhaust a tuning device will help you maximize those performance upgrades.
This is good to know, thx. But I had a quick question, do I need to upgrade my exhaust if I get the PRL CAI?

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is good to know, thx. But I had a quick question, do I need to upgrade my exhaust if I get the PRL CAI?
You do not have to.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
If you get an intake, make sure it's a factory MAF housing size. Some company like PRL or MAP will offer "race" MAF housing that are much larger than the factory. They will require you to have the MAF rescaled. So if you want want any tuning and want a PRL intake. Make sure to pick the STREET MAF

Hondata and KTuner both will offer basemaps for the PRL Race MAF. @MAPerformance intake on the other hand will not offer you one unless you buy their Stage 1 map
Sponsored