Question about ordering a CTR

Kraytz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #34083
Country flag
I've pretty much set my mind on getting a CTR but have been having setbacks from scummy stealerships that are jacking up the prices. I refuse to pay ADM and I can even get invoice on a 2019 GT350. I have contacted a dealer that was recommended by a fellow forum member and they claim that Honda doesn't allow the dealer to choose the color of the CTR that the dealer gets.

For anyone that has ordered a CTR from their dealer, is this in the remote possibility of being true? It makes absolutely no sense at all. I figured the Inventory manager chooses the color that their respective dealer gets.
Sponsored

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
I've pretty much set my mind on getting a CTR but have been having setbacks from scummy stealerships that are jacking up the prices. I refuse to pay ADM and I can even get invoice on a 2019 GT350. I have contacted a dealer that was recommended by a fellow forum member and they claim that Honda doesn't allow the dealer to choose the color of the CTR that the dealer gets.

For anyone that has ordered a CTR from their dealer, is this in the remote possibility of being true? It makes absolutely no sense at all. I figured the Inventory manager chooses the color that their respective dealer gets.
There is no way to order a specific color.
You take it or not.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag

Ya you canā€™t order. The cars are given and you basically have to search the a dealer that has the one you want. Sucks but the hunt is worth it.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag

For this car, it's not so much "ordering" one as it is "waiting" for one. The dealership I worked with asked what color(s) I would want, and I waited until I came up on the list for the color I wanted.
The dealerships may have some ability to switch with other dealerships to get the color you want, but these cars aren't being built to order.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
For this car, it's not so much "ordering" one as it is "waiting" for one. The dealership I worked with asked what color(s) I would want, and I waited until I came up on the list for the color I wanted.
The dealerships may have some ability to switch with other dealerships to get the color you want, but these cars aren't being built to order.
^^ Exactly that. They'll take your preferred colors, and with the dealer I'm working with will tell their rep or whoever what colors they'd prefer but it really is just whatever shows up. And if you're on a list and the other folks don't want the color that comes in you can decide if you want that color or not. And then back to waiting again. -_- I feel like it's worth it if you really want it and can wait. that's just me though

ep3_lol

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Lincoln Navigator L, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just hit Autotrader and eBay and start calling dealers all over the country. You'll find one in the color you want at a reasonable price. They are all the same except for color so it's not like you're hunting for a specific configuration.

breakingakajav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8, 91 Miata, 19 X-trek
Country flag
Going to echo what most people said here regarding colors. I just put a down payment on a 2019 and I specifically asked for SGP, they are trying to get the color by trading with one of their sister dealers.

Regarding the ADM, As it stands these cars are still in high demand. I was able to get one at MSRP but ~$650 in dealer addons, pick the battles you fight vs them but you can get them for MSRP just give each dealer a shot and see how it turns out.

epryor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 RR CTR, ā€˜16 Audi Q5
Country flag
Itā€™s been covered already, but my experience was a little different.

I became first on my dealers list in October and passed on CW because I want RR. I got a call a few weeks later about them getting a build slot in December and changed it to RR for me.

Whether they had the pull to do it or not will forever be a mystery, but sounds feasible. My car arrives in a couple weeks and I canā€™t wait!

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I couldn't believe it myself when I was looking. You can order a VW, a BMW, a Porsche, a Mini, or a Subaru. Apparently not a Honda.

jinderC

Canadian here, I have ā€œorderedā€ my 2019 a few months ago and even got to choose my colour as well.
Actual real ā€œorderā€.
Not sure why American Honda doesnā€™t do the same.

okaida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R-26048, 2016 VW Golf R
Country flag
Canada must be different, I spoke to a salesperson in October about a 2019 and was asked what color and options I wanted. I ordered what I wanted (CW) and only paid MSRP. The only drawback was wait time, he told me 6 months but I was okay with that as it's a secondary car.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Just to echo, somewhat...Got on the list when the kid bought his in August. No down payment, no color choice...just on the list. Emailed dealer early January 2019 concerning the future of car arrivals. He emailed me back with the info that the list just opened up to me(?) and he has a SGP coming in Jan or a PMM coming in Feb/Mar and which one did I want? Picked PMM and went in to confirm color and MSRP pricing which was accurate. Nothing down, still. He said he will keep me in the loop as he gets info. Easy peasy! Some advantage to living in a small market...

DA1286

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag

I have purchased a couple of accords from the same Honda dealer on Long Island (a 2009 and a 2013). This past October I went down to see my usual salesperson and asked about ordering a Type R. He said no problem, gave me a price of $36,999 before tax and delivery and asked what color I wanted. I asked for white and he said no problem, give me a month or two to get it for you (keep in mind this was in October, before the 2019 was announced). In November, he called and said it would take a little longer as the 2019ā€™s are getting sent over and also asked if I wanted SGP instead of white. I said no, and he called me a couple weeks later to tell me my white had arrived. It seems that he had some control over what color was coming in. He could have already known a white was coming but I doubt it.

leehom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, back at it again
Country flag
I have purchased a couple of accords from the same Honda dealer on Long Island (a 2009 and a 2013). This past October I went down to see my usual salesperson and asked about ordering a Type R. He said no problem, gave me a price of $36,999 before tax and delivery and asked what color I wanted. I asked for white and he said no problem, give me a month or two to get it for you (keep in mind this was in October, before the 2019 was announced). In November, he called and said it would take a little longer as the 2019ā€™s are getting sent over and also asked if I wanted SGP instead of white. I said no, and he called me a couple weeks later to tell me my white had arrived. It seems that he had some control over what color was coming in. He could have already known a white was coming but I doubt it.
It's entirely possible he traded the SGP to another dealer for CW. Since SGP is a new color, it's probably more desirable.

Canadian here, I have ā€œorderedā€ my 2019 a few months ago and even got to choose my colour as well.
Actual real ā€œorderā€.
Not sure why American Honda doesnā€™t do the same.
Not sure if serious. In Canada the CTR is more available than U.S. All he had to do was wait for an allotment with your color choice then notify you.

An actual custom order is when you're able to build the vehicle exactly to your specs, ala BMW/Porsche etc.

DA1286

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
It's entirely possible he traded the SGP to another dealer for CW. Since SGP is a new color, it's probably more desirable.

Not sure if serious. In Canada the CTR is more available than U.S. All he had to do was wait for an allotment with your color choice then notify you.

An actual custom order is when you're able to build the vehicle exactly to your specs, ala BMW/Porsche etc.
Funny, the SGP was actually in the showroom when I went to pick the CW up. I am very shocked no one snatched it up in the 2+ weeks I waited for the CW after he called me. On the phone I remember him saying: ā€œdonā€™t worry, the white is on the way too, just wanted to see if you like SGP since itā€™s a new color for 2019.ā€

This guy has a ton of ā€œtop salesmanā€ awards at his desk and some photos with celebrities buying Hondas from him- maybe his status as a long-time top seller gives him some swing when ordering from the factory.

It is totally possible they were told they were getting a CW and I just got lucky by walking in shortly after it was made available to them. Whatā€™s even stranger is that I didnā€™t have to get on any waiting list... the car came in and it was mine.
Sponsored