Hoobastnk90

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So ive read a lot how the type r has over heating issues due to lack of air flow. Would just removing the under tray on a track day help it cool since the air will have more room to escape? Or would it be that devastating to the aero of the car where it out weights the benefits?
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So ive read a lot how the type r has over heating issues due to lack of air flow. Would just removing the under tray on a track day help it cool since the air will have more room to escape? Or would it be that devastating to the aero of the car where it out weights the benefits?
That may or may not create lift on the front end... I wouldn't recommend doing that. For DD most people have gotten by just fine using an intercooler upgrade. However, for tracking others have gone full-out:
  1. Intercooler
  2. Oil cooler*
  3. Front bumper side vents* (cutting holes)
  4. Radiator
  5. Better flowing grill
  6. Hood that allows air to escape the engine bay
*the oil cooler typically requires the front vents to be cut open.

OP
OP
Hoobastnk90

Hoobastnk90

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I do plan on tracking mine so inwas just wondering. Seems like a lot to add to just use the car the way it was meant to be used. And a lot of the solutions listed havent really been to well proven

OP
OP
Hoobastnk90

Hoobastnk90

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
welp not to beat a dead horse but i finally got it out on a track and got the temp guage up to 3 quarters full and got a bit worried and backed off for a lap and it came back down. Any solutions yet guys?

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
welp not to beat a dead horse but i finally got it out on a track and got the temp guage up to 3 quarters full and got a bit worried and backed off for a lap and it came back down. Any solutions yet guys?

Have you added an oil cooler or hood with vents?

Also, swapping to the 2020 grill is supposed to increase airflow.

OP
OP
Hoobastnk90

Hoobastnk90

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea i havent spent any money on additional items yet. I wanted to see if it would happen to me first hand. And...it did i live in the midwest and it was about 91 that day with 100% humidity.

Milktealord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Fk8 Type R
Country flag
Yea i havent spent any money on additional items yet. I wanted to see if it would happen to me first hand. And...it did i live in the midwest and it was about 91 that day with 100% humidity.

Here's a good idea what happens when you have pretty much gone all out on cooling mods. There's a few mods that he hasn't done but for the most part I doubt will resolve it. I've been following this topic for awhile now, so far no one has a definite answer.

xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It would be cool if we all complained about the overheating and Honda would have to address the issue. Maybe recall for upgraded front end and improved hood?? Just a thought. How common is the issue on a daily driver CTR? I have never had an issue. Anyone else want to chime in...

Milktealord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Fk8 Type R
Country flag
It would be cool if we all complained about the overheating and Honda would have to address the issue. Maybe recall for upgraded front end and improved hood?? Just a thought. How common is the issue on a daily driver CTR? I have never had an issue. Anyone else want to chime in...
If you watched the video, he has pretty much all the cooling mods and can't track consistently at anything above the high 70s. Like the video mentioned if you aren't pushing the car that hard it might be difficult to reach those temperatures and depending on track layout. So that should give you an idea.

OP
OP
Hoobastnk90

Hoobastnk90

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Suxs that even with 1000s of dollars spend it still has an issue. Hard to invest in much more than a radiator and maybe the front grill and hope for the best

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
There are always ways to fix this issue. Just depends on how much you're willing to spend. The main question you should probably ask yourself is, how often do you plan to take your car to the track? Once or twice a year? Probably not worth it to invest in much mods. The more mods you spend on it, the more "un-drivable" it becomes.

I would probably suggest bumping the oil to 5w30 initially. You'll still overheat but at least you'll reduce low oil pressure issue.

I don't like oil coolers if it's a daily driver. Just introducing another failure point.

Are tuned? If you are, that's not helping the issue either.

How much are you willing to go down the rabbit hole, or do you just accept that you can only do a few laps before taking a break?

OP
OP
Hoobastnk90

Hoobastnk90

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
There are always ways to fix this issue. Just depends on how much you're willing to spend. The main question you should probably ask yourself is, how often do you plan to take your car to the track? Once or twice a year? Probably not worth it to invest in much mods. The more mods you spend on it, the more "un-drivable" it becomes.

I would probably suggest bumping the oil to 5w30 initially. You'll still overheat but at least you'll reduce low oil pressure issue.

I don't like oil coolers if it's a daily driver. Just introducing another failure point.

Are tuned? If you are, that's not helping the issue either.

How much are you willing to go down the rabbit hole, or do you just accept that you can only do a few laps before taking a break?
I have gone far down the modding rabbit hole before I want to keep this car stocking. Only mod is a prl intake. I dont plan on hondata for now. I think a koryo or oem 2020 honda radiator and a more open grill are about as far as I wanna go. Maybe a better vented hood maybe. But I'd rather spend money on more seat time instead of mods.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
One question for all the people that are experiencing overheating issues at the track - how many power mods have you added?

I'm curious if someone with stock power and some cooling mods (radiator, grill, hood vents) is experiencing the same issues as consistently.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One question for all the people that are experiencing overheating issues at the track - how many power mods have you added?

I'm curious if someone with stock power and some cooling mods (radiator, grill, hood vents) is experiencing the same issues as consistently.

This, the video posted about the guy is around 400/400 at the wheel and even states his over heating is more due to his mods at this point.

CTRismybeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 E90 M3 & 2019 FK8 CTR
Country flag
This, the video posted about the guy is around 400/400 at the wheel and even states his over heating is more due to his mods at this point.
Agreed. I’m bone stock and while my gauge does move to just past halfway I am not overheating. I get wave bys from much higher powered cars on DOT rubber too, so I’m not taking it easy.
Sponsored