First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So the 2019 touring sedan is going to have paddle shifters. I have a 2018 touring sedan. I personally like them and am bummed I dont have them. Is it possible to retro fit them or is it opening a can of worms. Same with the honda link transceiver for the garage. Both just tick me off I didn’t wait
Sponsored

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
So the 2019 touring sedan is going to have paddle shifters. I have a 2018 touring sedan. I personally like them and am bummed I dont have them. Is it possible to retro fit them or is it opening a can of worms. Same with the honda link transceiver for the garage. Both just tick me off I didn’t wait
I'm in the same boat as you. The way I look at it is, I saved a few hundred bucks, but I agree, homelink + paddle shifters + more noise insulation = me sad.

The silver lining for me is that I much prefer the 2018 wheels over the 2019 which looks like they're shinier versions of the Si and Hatchback wheels. Also, 2019 will prob be the final iteration which always sucks because you know after that year, it's a brand new redesign.

OP
OP
Zatannaz

Zatannaz

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ikr. I am hoping the paddles and transceiver can be put in still but I am VERY unmechanical knowhowish so that’s why I’m asking lol.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Skip the paddles - it's a CVT, not an automatic transmission with actual gears to shift through. All you'd be doing is just changing the gear ratio w/ CVT. The HomeLink is actually nice to have.

OP
OP
Zatannaz

Zatannaz

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Skip the paddles - it's a CVT, not an automatic transmission with actual gears to shift through. All you'd be doing is just changing the gear ratio w/ CVT. The HomeLink is actually nice to have.
Thx. Can the homelink transceiver be added?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Thx. Can the homelink transceiver be added?
I'll just take a guess and say yes it can. HomeLink is a standalone module I think and plugging it in amounts to making the HomeLink module get power from the accessory bus. Someone here has documented dropping in a HomeLink module from Oddysseys. I don't think adding one from a newer CivicX should be hard.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
woo.. theres a good question for people in the know.
do you need to replace the main cpu of the car to add paddles to it. or can you get by with a flash.. i doubt the wiring harness would be in place but does it just connect to the canbus or is it a proprietary connection to the trans/cpu?
@KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
We were going to attempt this on our CVT before we moved into the Si, but never got a chance. It did look like direct connectivity was needed and I don't know what else would have been needed to get it going since we never got the chance to complete!

OP
OP
Zatannaz

Zatannaz

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
woo.. theres a good question for people in the know.
do you need to replace the main cpu of the car to add paddles to it. or can you get by with a flash.. i doubt the wiring harness would be in place but does it just connect to the canbus or is it a proprietary connection to the trans/cpu?
@KTuner
I am actually still curious. The peeps who have paddle shifters in their hatches loooovvveeee it.

Last edited:

indredcold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
The new 2019 infotainment system and paddle shifters are two things I am really jealous of with the new 2019 civic. I would really like to know how to add paddle shifters to mine, I live in a very hilly area with a lot of snow so adding some more control to the transmission would be very nice.

Branch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport, '07 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I have paddles and never use them. I tried to use them at first for passing on the highway. Now, if I want more response or sporty drive I just move the gear to "S".

ski-line900

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I have paddles and never use them. I tried to use them at first for passing on the highway. Now, if I want more response or sporty drive I just move the gear to "S".
This

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think the paddle shifting on a CVT is more show than go. Shifting to S and controlling things with your foot does the same basic thing and maybe faster.

mechanical42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wife Prius, 2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Paddle shifters on CVT isn't completely useless. If you need to pass somebody quickly just hit the downshift and you get a better gear ratio to accelerate and pass them. Its faster to just tap the paddles then having to shift to S or always driving in S and ruin your fuel economy.

Also activating the paddles locks you in to a gear ratio giving you better control in twisties without having the CVT having to hunt gear ratios. Obviously not the same as a manual but is not completely a different driving experience than a standard auto or DCT.

Adil

First Name
Adil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5t
Country flag
Our 2016 Sedan has paddle shifters. Its useful for engine breaking, but not so much when accelerating. On full throttle the sport mode is still the quickest I feel.
Sponsored