Push button start on manual transmissions

Brony2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Accord EX Sedan
Country flag
So I'm getting a 2017 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T manual transmission and with me having no experience in one, I am going to be putting in a lot of practice in a rental before then, but I had a few questions with some of the new features. With the push to start feature, does this require the clutch and brake to both be depressed fully for the car to start? If the car were to stall out, then this would mean I could be going, 10 mph and have to put the brake to the floor just to start it back up again, could cause the person behind me to rear end me if something like that were to occur. This scenario probably won't happen, but I wanted to throw it out there just to know what might happen if I do stall the car.
Sponsored

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
YOu need to depress the brake and clutch to start it. IT would be very difficult to stall the car if you were going 10 MPH unless you were in a gear you have no business being in at that speed.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
You could bump start it if you stall at 10 mph. Just put it in 2nd and release the clutch.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I'm getting a 2017 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T manual transmission and with me having no experience in one, I am going to be putting in a lot of practice in a rental before then, but I had a few questions with some of the new features. With the push to start feature, does this require the clutch and brake to both be depressed fully for the car to start? If the car were to stall out, then this would mean I could be going, 10 mph and have to put the brake to the floor just to start it back up again, could cause the person behind me to rear end me if something like that were to occur. This scenario probably won't happen, but I wanted to throw it out there just to know what might happen if I do stall the car.
I'm surprised to learn that you can rent a manual transmission car in the states. Wouldn't have expected that.

I'd say to not worry about the hypothetical situation there. You'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
YOu need to depress the brake and clutch to start it. IT would be very difficult to stall the car if you were going 10 MPH unless you were in a gear you have no business being in at that speed.
If its in neutral it only requires the break.. Do so daily... At 10mph just put it in gear and let go of clutch.. At the more common stall wich will happen to you.. Yes you will need to brake and push button

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
If its in neutral it only requires the break.. Do so daily... At 10mph just put it in gear and let go of clutch.. At the more common stall wich will happen to you.. Yes you will need to brake and push button
Unless ur on a hill.. When i leave early in the morning i start my car without using the button if i dont wanna wake my daughter if the window is up.. Simply put it in reverse. Roll back and let go of the clutch.. My driveway is not steep at all.. But in reverse i can get the car to start at about 2mph without using the starter

rpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT Burgundy Night Pearl
Country flag
You only need to depress the clutch to start it. Brake is required for A/T vehicles.

dalaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T 6-Speed Manual
Country flag
Clutch only to start engine on EX-T manual.

OP
OP

Brony2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Accord EX Sedan
Country flag
I'm surprised to learn that you can rent a manual transmission car in the states. Wouldn't have expected that.

I'd say to not worry about the hypothetical situation there. You'll be fine. :thumbsup:
So I called and searched every rental shop near me (Charlotte, NC) and they don't offer a single manual transmission car. So it looks like I'm stuck learning on my brand new car. I hope I don't mess it up to bad.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't worry. Civics are great for learning how to work a clutch because the catch point is dead easy to figure out, and I'm sure modern clutches are built to take tons of abuse anyway. My 2015 probably hates me after I learned/am still perfecting blipping for downshifts. If you have someone who can teach you, just find a big, empty parking lot or something and practice for a couple of hours. If you don't have any such person, watch a bunch of tutorials on youtube and good luck.

The parking lot method worked for me, and I extended it very well to two other people. In an old, shaky, cranky '83 model, both of my friends managed to eventually get up to second gear without stalling once during the whole lesson. One of which was a girl - insert comment here - and the other had never even driven a car before in his 20s and didn't even take the license test til years later.

MaineDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual, 2012 CR-V
Country flag
I've got a '17 EX-T Manual; and the transmission is so easy to use! I've had several manuals before -- but I truly think a person could become an expert three-pedal driver in this car within about half an hour!

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Don't worry. Civics are great for learning how to work a clutch because the catch point is dead easy to figure out, and I'm sure modern clutches are built to take tons of abuse anyway. My 2015 probably hates me after I learned/am still perfecting blipping for downshifts. If you have someone who can teach you, just find a big, empty parking lot or something and practice for a couple of hours. If you don't have any such person, watch a bunch of tutorials on youtube and good luck.

The parking lot method worked for me, and I extended it very well to two other people. In an old, shaky, cranky '83 model, both of my friends managed to eventually get up to second gear without stalling once during the whole lesson. One of which was a girl - insert comment here - and the other had never even driven a car before in his 20s and didn't even take the license test til years later.
My best friend only drives manual... shockingly it's a manual! Not a civic though.

Either way, my first manual car was a 2010 Civic EX-L Coupe (5spd). Loved it, which is why my new civic is a 6spd

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On my car (Chinese spec) I MUST press both brake and clutch to start the engine, I never tried a bump start, I heard the cat doesn't like it.
Actually I stalled it only a couple of times the first week I had the car because i messed up with the stop and start after a red light (in 3rd...). Never happened while moving, I think it is very very hard to do, I can drive at very low speeds in 6th and it still keeps running somehow.
Sponsored