Push Button Light Switch for Dash (Not ignition)

itsbeckerz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T ; 2016 CR-V EX
Country flag
Hi Guys! I've searched the forums and the web but can't find what I'm looking for.

Can anyone help me find a push button switch for the dash to control some LEDs I plan to install in the footwells? I had them installed on my old tC and they came on when the doors were open (tied to dome lights) BUT I also had the option to cut power to them permanently (just in case).

I have found a switch included with some fog light kits but nothing stand-alone. For instance, if you look at this fog light set it comes with a switch.

I have already ordered the add-a-circuit/fuse and the LEDs.
Sponsored

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I gotta say its getting a little tough working on vehicles nowadays. Most of the switches are logic switches, just sending a signal to the BCM. I had this problem with my 13 Civic. You can buy one of the honda switches that fits in one of the "blanks" on your dash, but its a logic switch, not an on/off switch. I ended up tapping into the wires for the Econ button that light it up when you have the running lights or headlights on. Ran that to a real switch which I custom made to fit into one of the dash blanks. A real pain. That's what I don't like about Honda's ambient lighting kits, they don't give you that on/off feature. It seems with the 17 at least it can be dimmed with the dash knob.

With my 13 Ford Escape, I was able to access the BCM using the Focccus software. I was able to change the settings in the BCM so that my fog lights would work with my high beams and also enable global open/close.

That's what its coming to, you will need a laptop, the software to hack your vehicle and an OBDII connection to do any electrical mods.

OP
OP

itsbeckerz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wouldn't think this is the case. If you can use the add-a-circuit to hard wire LED strips that they are essentially always on (when whatever fuse you tap into is on) then you should be able to put a toggle switch in series between the fuse and the LED to switch between always on and always off.

OP
OP

itsbeckerz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bump, still looking for help

Lights are currently hard wired, a switch would be nice tho.

OP
OP

itsbeckerz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last edited:

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
OP
OP

itsbeckerz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll post one when I get out to the car (at work right now).

Below is the wiring diagram. The button came with about 10 feet of cable, a relay, in line fuse and light bulb connections because it's for fog lights. I used the actual button and the green connection which had 4 wires coming out from it (2 Red, black and blue).

Honda Civic 10th gen Push Button Light Switch for Dash (Not ignition) seAdwdA

It fits and works flawlessly. The next thing I need to do is find a better fuse or wire to split into for power. With the add-a-circuit I tapped into the DRL fuse so the lights only come on when the power is on. On my last car i wired it to dome lights so the footwell lights came on when the doors were opened, etc.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
Here are the images of the button off and on.. Green light means it's on.

And with the lights off and on.
I got the switch in the mail. Its awesome and can't beat that price. Couple of questions. Is your fog light emblem light always on? I believe one of the pin-outs is for button illumination. I'm going to run that pin-out to an adjacent buttons illumination wire. Also, is your button upside down? Every image I see of honda interiors shows it the other way. Not that it matters, the buttons are symmetrical.

Last edited:

OP
OP

itsbeckerz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The one light is always on (the bar going across), the other light turns green when the actual lights are on (switch is in the 'on' state). You can see the distinction in the picture above.

And no idea whats up and whats down, i just put it in and it fit :D :D :D

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
The one light is always on (the bar going across), the other light turns green when the actual lights are on (switch is in the 'on' state). You can see the distinction in the picture above.

And no idea whats up and whats down, i just put it in and it fit :D :D :D
Something is definetely up with the wiring, maybe your +positive is reversed. Also, using the DRL's, which is always on, is why the button is always illuminated. Did you wire both reds to the DRL's?

One of the +positives for the button illumination should go to a +positive that is only hot when the running/parking lights are on. The other +positive can go to the DRL's if you want your accessory to be able to function at any time the car is running. I think I only saw 4 pins in the harness, so it looks like one of the -grounds is eliminated. The harness has 2 red, 1 blue and 1 black. The 2 reds are for +12V (one for button illumination and one for accessory power), the blue is your +12V switched power and the black is the -12V ground.
Honda Civic 10th gen Push Button Light Switch for Dash (Not ignition) HondaFogSwitchPinout

Last edited:
OP
OP

itsbeckerz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I cut the wires about 12 inches out from the green plug and used those wires. I didn't wire to the plug, instead used the wiring that was connected to the plug.

It's technically 2 red, a blue and a black wires (on mine) coming from the plug. (The 2 red are soldered together about 4 inches from the plug under the sheathing.) So, 4 wires, but about 3 inches from the plug it turns to 3. I used Red to the 12v fuse/DRLights, blue to the LEDs and Black to a ground.

Honda Civic 10th gen Push Button Light Switch for Dash (Not ignition) Klffczu

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
Yeah, thats pretty much what I thought. The 2 reds shoundn't be soldered together. Thats why your plug illumination is always on.

Its a little extra work, but I'm going to wire mine to work like factory. Just going to use the +12V button illumination from the switch next to it. Simply find the wire for that using a meter. Easy peezy.

OP
OP

itsbeckerz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, thats pretty much what I thought. The 2 reds shoundn't be soldered together. Thats why your plug illumination is always on.
Yea, not sure.. the harness it came with had then soldered together, maybe with the intended use (the harness is intended to be used with for fogs (not LEDs)) needs it soldered. I don't mind an orange light indicating the switches has power to it, no biggie.
Sponsored