DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hello all! I sadly totaled my 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport sedan so I had to get a new car. I freaking loved that Hyundai. It was fast and had great handling and looked even better. So I had to get a new car. The choice was between another Elantra Sport or an SI... I chose SI because the Elantra Sport is a great car and a capable platform with mods but it is not exactly performance oriented as an SI is. (If you doubt what I say go to your Hyundai dealer and ask for a test drive. It will surprise you how nice and quick the car actually is as it did me) So here I am a proud new owner of a 2017 Honda Civic SI sedan in black.

Let me tell you after a full 24 hours of ownership all I have to say is wow. This Civic absolutely blows me away. All my expectations were thrown out the window. I thought I would hate the styling but it's definitely growing on me. I've had the car for two days. The stares I get on the highway the people coming up to me just to tell me I have a nice car? That feeling is great. It took me a while to dare to get on the throttle and what can I say? It definitely has to be underrated. It feels so much faster than 205 hp. Turning on sport mode is amazing. You can actually feel everything stiffening up as the car starts to send you more feedback and the steering wheel tightens up and you become one with the car. Handling is amazing. The short shift throws are also really nice. I had a 9th gen SI and let me tell you. That car literally cannot compare. Not because the new one doesn't have a VTEC but because the 10th generation is the best SI ever made. Hands down.
Sponsored

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From one CBP Si sedan owner to another, congrats and welcome!

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Thank goodness you survived wrecking your car, and Congratulations on the new Si.

Canteenboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Congrats on your new car. I've been enjoying my drive to work every morning since I've picked up my Si :love:

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Just curious, is there anything you didn't like about the Elantra Sport? I've been eyeing up the car because of all the discounts. But there are very few manual Premium models out there. Probably 150 or so nationwide. I'm looking at blue or white and none near me. With all the rebates, I'd be looking at $18,750 out the door for a Premium. That's damn cheap for what you get.

My reservations about the car are the seat comfort for long trips, the road noise, which supposedly is pretty loud on the highway and the gas mileage. The Civic EX-T and even the Si blow it out of the water for MPG's. Can you comment on those issues with the Elantra Sport?

It stinks wrecking a new car, but you've now upgraded! Congrats on new ride and enjoy!

OP
OP

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just curious, is there anything you didn't like about the Elantra Sport? I've been eyeing up the car because of all the discounts. But there are very few manual Premium models out there. Probably 150 or so nationwide. I'm looking at blue or white and none near me. With all the rebates, I'd be looking at $18,750 out the door for a Premium. That's damn cheap for what you get.

My reservations about the car are the seat comfort for long trips, the road noise, which supposedly is pretty loud on the highway and the gas mileage. The Civic EX-T and even the Si blow it out of the water for MPG's. Can you comment on those issues with the Elantra Sport?

It stinks wrecking a new car, but you've now upgraded! Congrats on new ride and enjoy!
If you are an Uber driver you get an additional 1000 dollars off... And no I really loved my Elantra Sport. It was much more refined and mature than the SI in terms of looks. It was actually really fast. Seats were comfortable. No where near as sporty as the SI. It's funny because I had a white one and no one knows what the car is. I bought a body kit from Korea and ripped off the Hyundai H's and threw on the body kit logo. It was an M. Then everyone thought I was driving around a luxury car. I got Maserati, Mercedes, Mazda, Infiniti. It's a great car man. Premium package is really nice but like the SI the subwoofer is definitely lacking. Only had a few gripes with the car. One was the wandering steering wheel. Everyone in a while on the highway the cars wheels would drift right and you would have to fight against the drift. It wasn't dangerous just annoying. The needles in the speedometer weren't spot on. They were a bit off. I was getting 32 city and 38 highway 35 combined. I actually beat a GTI in it. He was pissed and tried flagging me down to know what kinda car it was. It's a great car. With a little live from the aftermarket it has potential but it is a good daily. It handles well but no where near as great as the Civic.

OP
OP

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The exhaust sounds way better than the SI stock. I never really noticed cabin noise on the highway

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Thanks for all of the info! On the Elantra site some owners talked about how loud it was on the highway to the point of adding insulation on their own and getting new and better tires. For a brand new car that's ridiculous! The MPG's you had on the highway are impressive! I could definitely live with that as I'm a highway warrior for work. 30k miles a year. I should probably get the EX-T and enjoy 600 miles on a tank give or take but I want a little more fun!

Yes Uber rebate is $1000 plus several other rebates. Adds up to $2750 in rebates, plus $2000 from Hyundai and one dealer was willing to discount $2500 ($7250 total) on their own but they only had black. They could get a blue or white of course but it would be several hundred miles away and I wasn't having it. And the few dealers far away that did have them wouldn't discount that much.

Unfortunately Hyundai isn't building that many of these cars. And the Premium even less.

OP
OP

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for all of the info! On the Elantra site some owners talked about how loud it was on the highway to the point of adding insulation on their own and getting new and better tires. For a brand new car that's ridiculous! The MPG's you had on the highway are impressive! I could definitely live with that as I'm a highway warrior for work. 30k miles a year. I should probably get the EX-T and enjoy 600 miles on a tank give or take but I want a little more fun!

Yes Uber rebate is $1000 plus several other rebates. Adds up to $2750 in rebates, plus $2000 from Hyundai and one dealer was willing to discount $2500 ($7250 total) on their own but they only had black. They could get a blue or white of course but it would be several hundred miles away and I wasn't having it. And the few dealers far away that did have them wouldn't discount that much.

Unfortunately Hyundai isn't building that many of these cars. And the Premium even less.
Now there is one less now mine is totaled.

OP
OP

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

OP
OP

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh snap, Elantra Sport owner, welcome here man! I'm MarinaBlue on the forum, but ended up choosing the Si instead because it had that extra element of sportiness with the performance parts that come standard. For anyone on a tighter budget, definitely hit up a Hyundai dealership to test drive one. I got a good deal on my Si, but nowhere near the great deal I would have gotten with an Elantra Sport

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Just curious: for those here who previously had a 9th gen, was there as much disparaging of the (then new) 9th gen by 8th gen owners as we seem to be experiencing now from 9th gen owners? I feel like my 5th gen Prelude has a very similar engine/power band to an 8th gen, and while it can be really run revving that engine up to 7,500 rpm and then ripping the shifts, it also gets old really quickly when trying to daily drive it.
Sponsored