Product Update and Warranty Extension campaigns: Engine Oil Diution

Tourie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic SiR
Hello,

Have any of you received this notice? I got mine dated January 2019 from Honda Canada. On some 2016-2018 Civics with the 1.5L turbo, the engine oil may become overly diluted with fuel and moisture. In my letter, it says that "As part of the update service, your engine oil will be replaced free-of charge to remove any excessive fuel or moisture, which may have accumulated in the engine." I brought my car for service and they dealership said that they are only removing 3/4 of the oil and are not changing the filter as part of the service. They said that I can opt for the full oil change but would be around $60, down from around $80.

I showed them the letter but they weren't moving their stance. Has anyone else brought their car in for this update? Was a full oil change included for free?

David
Sponsored

Last edited:

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I think they're messing with you, the campaign includes a free oil change (no filter, just oil). Go to another dealer to get it done. I just had mine done this week, it includes a full oil change not a partial.

OP
OP

Tourie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic SiR
My car was due for an oil change so it definitely needed a new filter. Sounds like I'm being charged $60 for a new filter and 1 litre of oil from what they are telling me.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And what about oil dilution issue. A oil change won't fix it.
It is BS

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And what about oil dilution issue. A oil change won't fix it.
It is BS
The oil thing only a small part if the uodate. It also includes reprogramming the ecu and changing an A/C control module to help get the engine up to full operating temperature quicker.

I'd insist they change the filter due to the fact it also contains diluted oil.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And what about oil dilution issue. A oil change won't fix it
The oil thing only a small part if the uodate. It also includes reprogramming the ecu and changing an A/C control module to help get the engine up to full operating temperature quicker.

I'd insist they change the filter due to the fact it also contains diluted oil.

Great !

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
My car was due for an oil change so it definitely needed a new filter. Sounds like I'm being charged $60 for a new filter and 1 litre of oil from what they are telling me.
You can go to ANY Honda dealer for warranty work. I’m never going back to the place I bought my car because they have terrible ratings. I’ll be going to a 5 star dealer instead. Dealerrater.com

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello,

Have any of you received this notice? I got mine dated January 2019 from Honda Canada. On some 2016-2018 Civics with the 1.5L turbo, the engine oil may become overly diluted with fuel and moisture. In my letter, it says that "As part of the update service, your engine oil will be replaced free-of charge to remove any excessive fuel or moisture, which may have accumulated in the engine." I brought my car for service and they dealership said that they are only removing 3/4 of the oil and are not changing the filter as part of the service. They said that I can opt for the full oil change but would be around $60, down from around $80.

I showed them the letter but they weren't moving their stance. Has anyone else brought their car in for this update? Was a full oil change included for free?

David
If your dealer charged you for ANY oil, contact Honda Canada. The TSB and subsequent warranty work with oil changes includes the 4 qts of oil or whatever that translates to in Canada. Its listed right there in the TSB. They are correct it doesnt include the filter though.

civictrooper

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got the whole oil change just paid the 7 bucks for the filter

Igal84

First Name
Igal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T
Country flag
The 2019 car is supposed to arrive with Ricol and software update from the factory. If yours is not - you may have been sold 2018 and told 2019. Check it out. In any case, an oil change, an oil filter and even a part of A / C and a software update should be free under the Rikul framework.
Sponsored