Problem with speed control 2016 Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo

bluesmoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 tubro
While driving our new 2016 Civic 1.5 turbo, I set the cruise control at 76 mph while on the expressway. Notice the car was pulsating while on cruise control. I increased my speed to 80 mph. The car continued to pulsating. I took the cruise off and kept the speed at 75 mph and the car still did the same thing. Took car to dealer and they told me, I only have 2500 miles on car. Car has to learn how you drive. Told me to change my display to the boost gauge and see if the boost/turbo changes. Well did that and turbo did not change. I also did not notice this while driving on cruise at lower speeds.
Has anyone else had this problem? Will the car learn my driving and stop pulsating?

Thanks
Clay
Sponsored

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
While driving our new 2016 Civic 1.5 turbo, I set the cruise control at 76 mph while on the expressway. Notice the car was pulsating while on cruise control. I increased my speed to 80 mph. The car continued to pulsating. I took the cruise off and kept the speed at 75 mph and the car still did the same thing. Took car to dealer and they told me, I only have 2500 miles on car. Car has to learn how you drive. Told me to change my display to the boost gauge and see if the boost/turbo changes. Well did that and turbo did not change. I also did not notice this while driving on cruise at lower speeds.
Has anyone else had this problem? Will the car learn my driving and stop pulsating?

Thanks
Clay
I doubt the car will learn anything. And yes, several of us have experienced the same annoying and distracting malfunction.

When I took my Touring model back to my Honda dealership service department for them to look at the surging issue, they had the car for most of day. They were, they said, "Able to confirm complaint. Able to to feel vehicle surging when trying to hold a steady speed on the highway." They contacted Honda Canada about the issue and were told to "perform a battery cable reset and recheck." They did this and reported "no surging after reset." The quotes are from their "invoice," printout -- total charge was zero as the work was performed under warranty.

So the surging is a "known issue," at least at Honda Canada. The procedure cures the issue for a while, then it comes back, at least in my experience, after about 1600 miles. I did the next reset myself and it worked, for now.

As david1pro says, above, we have a thread with several pages of people's experiences on this issue, over here: http://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-surging-up-and-down.1269/page-2.

It's best if everyone with the issue has Honda fix it, until they patch their software, or come out with a firmware update, or whatever it takes to make the car work as advertised.

Last edited:

honda jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
disconect the hot side of the battery for about 5 minutes, it fixed mine and I found that fix on this form
Sponsored