Problem with seat manufacturing or seat geometry?

shamusl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hi guys, first post, been lurking but finally bought my car two weeks ago. I'm up to 210 miles!

I've been having numbness in my legs, knees, hips, feet, and ankles while driving my brand new Civic. I've had another person get into the car and verify that they too lose circulation in their legs within about 10 minutes of sitting in the seat.

Is it possible this is a manufacturing defect or were these seats just made for people much smaller than us? I'm 5'10" 190lb and the other person is 5'9" 175 pounds. I think we're both pretty firmly average which has me leaning on manufacturing defect rather than design flaw. I think the problem boils down to the bolsters being way too hard or being overfilled or oversprung or something because they refuse to deform. I think it might be the very hard bit of the seat between the two white stitchings inside the bolstering.

Has anyone had this problem or similar problem? Was it resolved by breaking in the seat or just something you've had to adjust to? If you did, how did you adjust?

Honda Civic 10th gen Problem with seat manufacturing or seat geometry? IMG_2964.JPG
Sponsored

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys, first post, been lurking but finally bought my car two weeks ago. I'm up to 210 miles!

I've been having numbness in my legs, knees, hips, feet, and ankles while driving my brand new Civic. I've had another person get into the car and verify that they too lose circulation in their legs within about 10 minutes of sitting in the seat.

Is it possible this is a manufacturing defect or were these seats just made for people much smaller than us? I'm 5'10" 190lb and the other person is 5'9" 175 pounds. I think we're both pretty firmly average which has me leaning on manufacturing defect rather than design flaw. I think the problem boils down to the bolsters being way too hard or being overfilled or oversprung or something because they refuse to deform. I think it might be the very hard bit of the seat between the two white stitchings inside the bolstering.

Has anyone had this problem or similar problem? Was it resolved by breaking in the seat or just something you've had to adjust to? If you did, how did you adjust?

IMG_2964.JPG
You can adjust the angle of the base of the seat. Other than that it looks like a regular seat to me. 6' 175lbs, never had an issue.

OP
OP

shamusl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can adjust the angle of the base of the seat. Other than that it looks like a regular seat to me. 6' 175lbs, never had an issue.
Do your thighs fit completely on the seat or do the outsides of your thighs rest on the inside edge of the bolster?

mc1200s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ext
Country flag
You and your friend coincidentally likely both have herniated discs causing encroachment.
Have a nerve conduction study.

OP
OP

shamusl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You and your friend coincidentally likely both have herniated discs causing encroachment.
I'll look into this. I appreciate it but why would I only have this problem with this seat? I've been sitting in more and less objectively good seats for years and never had a problem like this before.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I traded a '14 Civic EX for my current hatch. The seat geometry was better in the old car. The seat bottom cushion is shorter in my new car, less thigh support. The angle of the cushion feels like it tips you forward more than the old seat. The new seat ergos are inferior. I am going to try to figure out how to put a spacer in the front of mine to raise it 1/2" to 1".

The '16+ seats are too much like a Toyota Tacoma. You sit practically on the floor with legs straight out in front. Not good. If you raise the seat, it doesn't raise linearly on the manual seat version, it tips you forward, further reducing thigh support.

I'm fairly convinced the car was designed around a 5'6" test dummy.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I'll look into this. I appreciate it but why would I only have this problem with this seat? I've been sitting in more and less objectively good seats for years and never had a problem like this before.
Try a lower seat position.. Im 6ft 1in and my seat is slammed to the lowest no probs.. I cam raise it without my head hitting the roof almost all the way but not comfy when i do

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try a lower seat position.. Im 6ft 1in and my seat is slammed to the lowest no probs.. I cam raise it without my head hitting the roof almost all the way but not comfy when i do
What this dude said. 6 feet tall, seat all the way to the bottom feels comfortable as fuck.

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I had this same thing happen to me with my 2002 Civic Si. And about 2 months later my back got HORRIBLE. I blamed the car seat as the cause of the problem. Turned out that a horribly herniated L4/L5 was the cause.

skytalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
I don't think it's made for a short person. I'm 5'2" and the head is too high for me, and the seat is dipped back, my thighs are too short. I've developed back problem since last summer 2018, and i bought 2017 base civic in end of april 2018.

I am still trying to figure out what's the best setup. I used to have accord 2006 Accord for 11 years and it was great.
Sponsored