PRL vs Injen vs Mishimoto

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am in a market for intercooler, there are mainly these three brand that I am considering.
PRL, Injen, and Mishimoto

PRL and mishimoto both have kit, but mishimoto seems to be pre-order now and it costs more.

Anyone has any experience in these intercooler or any input will be welcome
thank you
Sponsored

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
The Mishimoto will require cutting the stock plastic ducting on the left and right of the intercooler, PRL doesn't. Only reason I am going PRL over Mishimoto.

R.Andre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I personally have pre-order the Mishimoto for 2 reasons. I know that brand for a looong time, even before I was into tuning. The second one is because of their video on youtube showing the stock vs theirs and I was mindblow. I know is different in each case but still I was like: I have to get the Mishi.

OP
OP
123sillyboy123

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
did you guys order it with pipe kit or just the intercooler itself?

OP
OP
123sillyboy123

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Mishimoto will require cutting the stock plastic ducting on the left and right of the intercooler, PRL doesn't. Only reason I am going PRL over Mishimoto.
I thought Mishimoto is direct fit.. or no? they advertise as a bolt on direct fit.

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
I thought Mishimoto is direct fit.. or no? they advertise as a bolt on direct fit.
Watch the installation video linked in the second to last page of their thread. They take shears to the duct flaps cutting them flat flush.

Edit vid here:

White2drsi

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si coupe
Country flag
You cut the duct flaps but replace them with ones provided with the intercooler

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to chime in here on our intercooler installation. We do pride ourselves on designing no hassle, direct fit components, however sometimes we do see an opportunity to improve our designs even further with some minimal trimming. Yes for our intercooler, we do require the bottom ends of the front air ducting to be trimmed off, but it's not without reason. With the slight trim on the ducting we were able to increase the size of our design to double the size of the stock core to give your 1.5T's charged air system some serious cooling potential. We're also including our own set of shrouding with the new core to keep the fresh air flowing in the right direction too ;)

If you're someone who's keen on the resale value, or you'll need to revert your Civic back to stock at some point, these OEM shrouds can be easily replaced for less than $100 for the set.

Make sure you check out our Engineering Blog for specifics on the intercooler kit, and, as always, feel free to shoot me any questions you might have!

Thanks,
-Nick

Brian_Escobar

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to chime in here on our intercooler installation. We do pride ourselves on designing no hassle, direct fit components, however sometimes we do see an opportunity to improve our designs even further with some minimal trimming. Yes for our intercooler, we do require the bottom ends of the front air ducting to be trimmed off, but it's not without reason. With the slight trim on the ducting we were able to increase the size of our design to double the size of the stock core to give your 1.5T's charged air system some serious cooling potential. We're also including our own set of shrouding with the new core to keep the fresh air flowing in the right direction too ;)

If you're someone who's keen on the resale value, or you'll need to revert your Civic back to stock at some point, these OEM shrouds can be easily replaced for less than $100 for the set.

Make sure you check out our Engineering Blog for specifics on the intercooler kit, and, as always, feel free to shoot me any questions you might have!

Thanks,
-Nick
Cant you just take off the shrouds instead of cutting them? and save yourself the money in the long run.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Cant you just take off the shrouds instead of cutting them? and save yourself the money in the long run.
If I recall from my install, there is at least one wire bundle attached to them. I don't think that you could remove the whole shroud, hence why you need to cut a piece of it off instead.

Last edited:

Brian_Escobar

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If I recall from my install, there is at least one wire bundle attached to them. I don't think that you could remove the while shroud, hence why you need to cut a piece of it off instead.
That’s lame. Mishimoto states that you can buy the shroud for $100 afterwards. As I much as I want this intercooler I just can’t seem to tho I I’ll need to go through all that trouble of trying to install a $100 shroud if I ever choose to go back to stock.

Jimbofoshow

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 FK8, 06 FA1, 08, FA1, 16 ZF1, 88 BA4 Si 4WS
Country flag
That’s lame. Mishimoto states that you can buy the shroud for $100 afterwards. As I much as I want this intercooler I just can’t seem to tho I I’ll need to go through all that trouble of trying to install a $100 shroud if I ever choose to go back to stock.
Its really a simple process, at least for me because im a well experience technician. I guess it depends on wether you plan to keep your CTR forever or not. Im definitely never letting my Natalia go, because poor folks like me might never get the chance to buy another one. I've gone with the mishimoto intercooler and even the cold air intake. Im very pleased. This will be the last intercooler ill have to buy because i do not plan to take my dirt road CTR past 600hp.

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
PRL all day. Took longer to remove the 87 clips than to install the intercooler.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Id go with PRL. As far as the injen goes, that unit is incredibly thick. I would venture to guess that it probably causes as much harm as it does good with airflow.
Sponsored