PRL Motorsports Type-R Front Pipe

notavr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
installed my prl catted dp last week, the quality is amazing! i got a chance to drive it the other day when the weather was nice. sound is not much louder than stock but it definitely came alive! no codes to report on ktuner
Sponsored

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
Alright, I might've gone full retard here, but I installed the high-flow cat downpipe without reinstalling the factory heatshield. It's a long story but basically we had to be out of the shop in less than 45 minutes or we were getting locked in and we couldn't get the heatshield on in time.

How bad is this? I'm planning on going back and getting it ceramically coated or something better than factory heatshields anyways. So far there doesn't seem to be any temperature or heat soak issues, especially after installing the PRL intercooler.

Last edited:

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
Thanks very kind of you. I just recieved the https://www.obdinnovations.com/o2-o...able-harness-for-2006-2014-honda-civic-si-12/ cable and it fits perfectly.
Will soon do my install and show pics and vids. Now I will be able with the cable extension to install the second lamda directly to the PRL downpipe and not use the fabspeed device or the 90 degree relocator that comes with the dpwnpipe.
I did this a couple of weeks ago. I can't speak to exact miles I have driven since bolting the o2 sensor directly to the PRL downpipe, But I have not thrown a code yet. Hopefully this is the fix, but we will see

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
My car is 100% stock and I just want to swap in a coated PRL catless dp with defoulers. But, would it still trigger any CEL? And if it does, since I dont have KTuner or Hondata then what can I disable the CEL? It seems like there are a lot of ppl getting CEL after installing the dp with defoulers.

Ramster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8 / Supra MKV / Tesla M3P / G80 M3C xDrive
Country flag
My car is 100% stock and I just want to swap in a coated PRL catless dp with defoulers. But, would it still trigger any CEL? And if it does, since I dont have KTuner or Hondata then what can I disable the CEL? It seems like there are a lot of ppl getting CEL after installing the dp with defoulers.
There's 5 options:
1. Test out a bunch of defoulers and see if any of them will clear the codes, these things are a hit or miss.
2. Get an O2 extension and connect it to the DP "I haven't tested this out yet so I'm not exactly sure, but a few people did this and it worked"
3. Disable it with KTuner / Hondata "This is the route I went with even with a Fabspeed O2 Defouler connected"
4. Get an OBDII device and keep clearing the codes every time it pops up.
5. Keep it stock

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
if u use o2 extension, do u still need to use the defouler? Should PRL have a definite way to install their own pipe in a stock ecu without triggering the CEL? if i were by their shop i would have them install it.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
if u use o2 extension, do u still need to use the defouler? Should PRL have a definite way to install their own pipe in a stock ecu without triggering the CEL? if i were by their shop i would have them install it.
I ran my catless dp with the fabspeed defouler and never had a CEL during everyday driving on a stock tune.

On the track I got a CEL, but that was way harder driving than can be achieved on the street.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Alright, I might've gone full retard here, but I installed the high-flow cat downpipe without reinstalling the factory heatshield. It's a long story but basically we had to be out of the shop in less than 45 minutes or we were getting locked in and we couldn't get the heatshield on in time.

How bad is this? I'm planning on going back and getting it ceramically coated or something better than factory heatshields anyways. So far there doesn't seem to be any temperature or heat soak issues, especially after installing the PRL intercooler.
The outcome of not having the turbo heatshield is that when the car goes full boost (glowing red hot) all the heat will be transfered to the turbo inlet pipe. This will cause the intercooler to work harder to keep temps down and you will be heat soaked faster and loose power. Buddy of mine did not put his back and his car went into limp mode after a couple of pulls on the highway, he stopped the car for some minutes of cool down and everything went back to normal.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
the heatsheild seems pretty functional and i was just wondering if there is aftermatket ones that covers more area and isulates better? or would coating or putting on heatwrap help it doing better job?

The outcome of not having the turbo heatshield is that when the car goes full boost (glowing red hot) all the heat will be transfered to the turbo inlet pipe. This will cause the intercooler to work harder to keep temps down and you will be heat soaked faster and loose power. Buddy of mine did not put his back and his car went into limp mode after a couple of pulls on the highway, he stopped the car for some minutes of cool down and everything went back to normal.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
the heatsheild seems pretty functional and i was just wondering if there is aftermatket ones that covers more area and isulates better? or would coating or putting on heatwrap help it doing better job?
Invest in a turbo blanket. And have the downpipe either wrapped or ceramic coated

dixie1

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renault Megane RS Lotus Exige V6 and soon Honda civic type R 2018
Country flag
the item not available at that ebay link. doea it have the slots to put the heatsheild back on?
No problem for the heatshield , seller is on holiday I see at the moment....

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
So far I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever, although that may be due to the fact that I'm running a PRL intercooler and ambients haven't been over 72F yet. I have a KTuner V2 and I constantly monitor my IATs - I never go over 100F unless I'm idling or doing a lot of stop-and-go. Even being at idle for longer periods of time I haven't noticed IATs any higher than before my upgrades (but of course this is not a high temperature situation where a heatshield would matter much). I've done all types of driving and datalogged it all and my IATs are stable as hell.. but we'll see what happens when we get back into 80-100F ambients.
Sponsored

Last edited: