Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Project Snow White 20171002_163505_zpsfk8nhkfo

We ended up taking our FK8 to the track this weekend for a bit of testing to see what kind of times this car is capable of. Denis drove the car to a best of 13.4848 at 109.25 MPH, followed by a few 13.5xxx passes at 107-108 MPH. The 109+ MPH trap speed is what spoke most to us and showed that our front pipe was definitely doing work! The short track, however, is where we struggled to cover ground, as we were constrained by the stock ECU and 3500 RPM launch limit. The car clearly needed more RPM to bring the 60ft down and logs showed that there was still throttle closure with flat-foot-shifting. This car is just begging for tuning! You can see how much of a dog it is out of the hole.

Why did we post this here?

Let's put this in a nut shell for you. A stock 1.5L turbo economy Civic with only an intake, intercooler downpipe/front-pipe and tuning has run numerous faster 1/4 mile times than Honda's flagship Civic! With that being said, we don't expect our Type-R to run much better of time, even with full bolt-ons on stock ECU mapping. The FK8's trap speed might increase a bit, which really shows the power they are capable of making, but until we can figure out a way to put cover short track ground, our Si will just keep on pulling down-low. The Civic Si puts down an extremely respectable short track. However, we don't suggest getting bold and picking on a Type-R from a roll, you might get spanked! ;):rofl::wave:
Sponsored

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It's why I love my Si! It may not be super fast, but it is zippy and has a good punch. Perfect for daily driving. Can't wait for the intake.

REDRAGN53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Civic now..
@PRL Motorsports a few questions:

I notice your modding for track use to include road courses. I'm interested in your advice about using the current mods/tune you have on this project car for road course track days. Would you recommend it or would/will you change to another tune for the longer duration stress of track days?

I have not noticed, but have you experienced any issues/check lights with the lowering springs installed? How's the interface with the factory dampers?

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports it was about 55-60 degrees last night in the Pittsburgh area. Amazing what cold air does to that tiny little motor. With almost 4k miles and for the first time, I actually heard the stock bypass valve between shifts. Can't wait for the Cobra to be in stock!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports a few questions:

I notice your modding for track use to include road courses. I'm interested in your advice about using the current mods/tune you have on this project car for road course track days. Would you recommend it or would/will you change to another tune for the longer duration stress of track days?

I have not noticed, but have you experienced any issues/check lights with the lowering springs installed? How's the interface with the factory dampers?
We not noticeed and lights from the lowering springs. This shouldn't be an issue. All of our mods increase engine efficiency, so we feel that this should aid in reliability. If anything, high torque may cause damage. You can always dial back the power where need-be.

@PRL Motorsports it was about 55-60 degrees last night in the Pittsburgh area. Amazing what cold air does to that tiny little motor. With almost 4k miles and for the first time, I actually heard the stock bypass valve between shifts. Can't wait for the Cobra to be in stock!
Ah yes, it's turbo weather! :thumbsup:

nightshadex89

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a

Excuse the cellphone quality here, but incase anybody missed, we managed to squeeze out 280 whp and 335+ ft/lbs tq out of our shop car the other day! Thats 100 hp in gains and well over 100 ft/lbs tq gains over stock with only a few simply bolt-ons and tuning on e25/e30 fuel blend! 100 whp in a car that comes with only 180 whp is a night-and-day difference!

FBO%20Civic%20X%20E30%20Catless_zpspwypjccn.jpg

FBO%20Civic%20X%20E30%20Catless%20v%20Stock_zpscmmqcmmb.jpg

Mods:
  • PRL Catless DP/FP
  • PRL CAI System
  • PRL FMIC Kit
  • Clutch Masters FX400 6-Puck, Rigid Disc Clutch
  • @KTuner V2
  • Custom Tuning via @VitViper and Denis Howell at PRL Motorsports
We dumped that cat-back exhaust from the front pipe in the video to see if there were any gains over running a full stock exhaust... To our amazement, there was not! This car pumped out repetive back-to-back 280/279 whp pulls with and without the factory exhaust. The factory exhaust system has showed to flow extremely well for this little 1.5L turbo and tiny turbine so far. With that being said, power gains from going cat-back exhaust will not be notable whatsoever on sub-300whp setups for this platform.

We switched from our catted downpipe to a catless and picked up roughly a 5-7 hp gain. The knock control value actually dropped down to only 49%, which helped us free up some nice power. To simplify, 49% knock control value means that our parts, including our catted downpipe, helped this car pick up more efficiency than we have ever seen before!

To reiterate, this car has nothing special done to it and this isn't a marketing ploy. Any 1.5T 6MT Civic customer can expect to see identical gains by doing $2,500 - $3,000 in mods. :)

I know every gain is for the SI but im buying a sport hatchback cvt. How close can i come to these numbers?? This would be perfect for the hatch. :)

Akinari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
@PRL Motorsports planning to use the Si as a daily and keep it mostly that way with Hondata until the warranty is up before I do KTuner.

I've already contacted Hondata and am waiting for a response, but I thought I'd reach out to you guys as well.

Planning on doing the +6psi base map, considering A/F, STFT/LTFT, how safe would I be able to run bolt-ons? i.e. your CAI with street MAF, and frontpipe downpipe combo?

I know the Hondata base maps are made to stay as close to stock parameters as possible, but I'm wondering if throwing on bolt-ons with the Hondata OTS maps would simply not be effective in terms of power output, or would it make things wonky?

I'm aware OTS maps are usually not great with too many bolt-ons, but for Hondata's 10G Si application, how much is too much?

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports planning to use the Si as a daily and keep it mostly that way with Hondata until the warranty is up before I do KTuner.

I've already contacted Hondata and am waiting for a response, but I thought I'd reach out to you guys as well.

Planning on doing the +6psi base map, considering A/F, STFT/LTFT, how safe would I be able to run bolt-ons? i.e. your CAI with street MAF, and frontpipe downpipe combo?

I know the Hondata base maps are made to stay as close to stock parameters as possible, but I'm wondering if throwing on bolt-ons with the Hondata OTS maps would simply not be effective in terms of power output, or would it make things wonky?

I'm aware OTS maps are usually not great with too many bolt-ons, but for Hondata's 10G Si application, how much is too much?
Why not just go Ktuner now, if you are going to switch to them eventually?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
He must be referring to Honda, not Hondata. The Hondata tuner will technically void your warranty also.
They have a CARB version that’s legal to use anywheres. Hondata is trying to offer performance software from the factory that is compliant with Honda. They are swaying away from what Ktuner is offering. I would choose Ktuner hands down. But some in California don’t want to take the risks. A lot of manufacturers have a brand they offer bolt ons and carb compliant tunes for added performance out of the factory.

Last edited:

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They have a CARB version that’s legal to use anywheres. Hondata is trying to offer performance software from the factory that is compliant with Honda. They are swaying away from what Ktuner is offering. I would choose Ktuner hands down. But some in California don’t want to take the risks.
Kinda like what ford did with Roush.
Yeah I am not referring to the legality of it. There are several threads discussing the warranty aspect. Honda can pull ECU history detail that shows boost levels. If they see a level higher than factory spec, and you are there for a problem related to that, it will likely not be a warranty covered event.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Yeah I am not referring to the legality of it. There are several threads discussing the warranty aspect. Honda can pull ECU history detail that shows boost levels. If they see a level higher than factory spec, and you are there for a problem related to that, it will likely not be a warranty covered event.
Can you link where this has happened here? There’s already been warrenty work on members cars that were tuned. Honda never opened a investigation. They simply pin pointed the problem or tried to, and replaced the part/parts. It’s all about the situation. They can’t accuse everyone of doing wrong things and deny warrenty. And they have to prove the aftermarket part caused the problem.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you link where this has happened here? There’s already been warrenty work on members cars that were tuned. Honda never opened a investigation. They simply pin pointed the problem or tried to, and replaced the part/parts.
If you just use the search function of this forum for "Hondata warranty", there have been several comments surrounding it. I cannot say for sure, one way or the other. Some people say they just flash it back to stock before taking to the dealer, and others say they won't do it. Theoretically, the engine should be fine long term with a 3-6 psi increase, but Honda did say they kept the boost where it is to increase long term durability.
Sponsored