Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Definitely anticipating the release of the the CAI. Hopefully it will have an aggressive spooling sound with cooling abilities like the stock box.
@PRL Motorsports Where is the CAI!? I really want your system but getting impatient.
What would be the advantages of running CAI vs the factory? Because all the stuff iv read theres not much power made and most people are buying it for sound only.
There is still no update on our CAI system for two reasons. One, we're really happy with what we've come up with thus far and feel it will really be a game changer, so we don't want to put our ideas out there in the open for competitors to see. Two, we're facing quite a few tight fitment issues implementing a true cold air intake design on the FK8 platform. We're at a crossroads with which route we'd like to decide on. We'd rather not rush an inferior product to market just so consumers have something to buy. For this reason we have our Stage 1 System.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The long awaited Stage 1 Intake System results for the FK8 Civic Type-R are finally available! We used our 2017 shop car for testing. Our shop car is equipped with our intercooler, downpipe and front pipe with stock ECU map.

All dyno runs were started in 4th gear and ambient temperature was 88 degrees during testing.

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/prlspencer/media/CTR%20Stage%201%20Intake%20Vs%20Stock_zpsw22ufcke.jpg.html]
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports FK8 Civic Type-R Stage 1 Intake System CTR%20Stage%201%20Intake%20Vs%20Stock_zpsw22ufcke
[/URL]
We saw increased spool, 8 hp and 5 ft/lb tq gains at peak and throughout the midrange where coolant temps started at 195 degrees during the beginning of the pull.

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/prlspencer/media/CTR%20Stage%201%20Intake%20Vs%20Stock%20Heatsoak_zpsdylgoule.jpg.html]
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports FK8 Civic Type-R Stage 1 Intake System CTR%20Stage%201%20Intake%20Vs%20Stock%20Heatsoak_zpsdylgoule
[/URL]
We saw increased spool, 3 - 4 hp and 1 - 2 ft/lb tq gains at peak and 5 – 10 hp throughout the midrange where coolant temps started at 199 degrees during the beginning of the pull.

Notice that there are significant gains down low around 2500 RPM in the powerband and dips around 4500 RPM. The logs show that the car wants to overshoot target boost due to the increased airflow, but the computer then pulls back wastegate duty, which reduces boost/power for a brief period of time. A car with custom tuning would show even greater gains here with target boost increased as the car breathes much easier with the upgraded intake system.

We plan to back this data up with a local car that is completely stock

Kits Include:
  • (1) 4-ply Silicone Hose
  • (4) Stainless Hose Clamps
  • (1) Billet Evap Flange
  • (1) High Flow Drop-In Air Filter

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sooooo can I buy this right now!? I'm more than happy to use this until you release your CAI.

The long awaited Stage 1 Intake System results for the FK8 Civic Type-R are finally available! We used our 2017 shop car for testing. Our shop car is equipped with our intercooler, downpipe and front pipe with stock ECU map.

All dyno runs were started in 4th gear and ambient temperature was 88 degrees during testing.

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/prlspencer/media/CTR Stage 1 Intake Vs Stock_zpsw22ufcke.jpg.html]
CTR%20Stage%201%20Intake%20Vs%20Stock_zpsw22ufcke.jpg
[/URL]
We saw increased spool, 8 hp and 5 ft/lb tq gains at peak and throughout the midrange where coolant temps started at 195 degrees during the beginning of the pull.

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/pr...Intake Vs Stock Heatsoak_zpsdylgoule.jpg.html]
CTR%20Stage%201%20Intake%20Vs%20Stock%20Heatsoak_zpsdylgoule.jpg
[/URL]
We saw increased spool, 3 - 4 hp and 1 - 2 ft/lb tq gains at peak and 5 – 10 hp throughout the midrange where coolant temps started at 199 degrees during the beginning of the pull.

Notice that there are significant gains down low around 2500 RPM in the powerband and dips around 4500 RPM. The logs show that the car wants to overshoot target boost due to the increased airflow, but the computer then pulls back wastegate duty, which reduces boost/power for a brief period of time. A car with custom tuning would show even greater gains here with target boost increased as the car breathes much easier with the upgraded intake system.

We plan to back this data up with a local car that is completely stock

Kits Include:
  • (1) 4-ply Silicone Hose
  • (4) Stainless Hose Clamps
  • (1) Billet Evap Flange
  • (1) High Flow Drop-In Air Filter

dxbydt

First Name
Ian Holm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Would the Cold Air Intake they're working on replace this, or be used together with?

Last edited:

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Im currently running hondata does this require any tuning or can i just add it to my car?

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In for the hose itself, already have a panel filter installed and waiting on an aFe dry filter whenever it gets back in stock.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
We will get our silicone order later this week and will start shipping out the tubing, our panel filters will be available in a few weeks... thanks!
That's exciting! So I guess that means I'll get it sooner than the 10/15/18 date listed on the website?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
This requires no tuning, however more power can be gained with tuning as always.
For anyone following -
I've ordered the intake and I'm lining up dyno time at IMW - the same dyno/tuner that helped @KTuner develop the Stage 1 tune. This will be the first physical mod to the car so it'll be super easy to get before/after results. Being that this is as cheap as it is, these may be the best gains for the buck!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For anyone following -
I've ordered the intake and I'm lining up dyno time at IMW - the same dyno/tuner that helped @KTuner develop the Stage 1 tune. This will be the first physical mod to the car so it'll be super easy to get before/after results. Being that this is as cheap as it is, these may be the best gains for the buck!
Great to hear! We also have a complete bone stock Type-R coming in next week for a before and after, will post up data as follows.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great to hear! We also have a complete bone stock Type-R coming in next week for a before and after, will post up data as follows.
I assume you expect a significant difference. I've ordered mine already and I'm essentially stock.
Sponsored