1.5T PRL Motorsports Bolt-On Big Turbo Upgrade Kit

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lol, I guess if your on Hondata sure but I know of plenty of CVT people running 23-25 psi tunes without issues on Ktuner.
I don't think the software has anything to do with it but I agree that if tuned properly you can certainly run more power up top safely.

For example, I am running a Flex Fuel tune on my Si using the stock clutch. I have to limit torque down low, but am able to max out the factory turbo and achieve MBT without it slipping up top. It all has to do with how the tune is written in regards to how much torque is delivered. The same techniques can be used to protect the CVT and achieve higher top end power. (@dallasjhawk I know this is not news to you)
Sponsored

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
You are lucky! I tuned with Vit all stock and my stock clutch gave up lol I mean it was still drivable and all but I just couldn't go full throttle and hit peak torque without it slipping. I upgraded to the FX350 last weekend and love it, ordered Vits flex fuel kit yesterday too and can't wait for some real fun.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would not use this turbo kit on a CVT. I just don’t see how it would work well. I feel like there would have to be some kind of upgrade in the CVT department to make it work with positive results. Maybe I’m wrong though.
If the torque comes down on the entry level upgrade and give it more top end HP, I dont see why the entry level upgrade wouldnt be worth it. the tq down low slaughters the cvt though

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think the software has anything to do with it but I agree that if tuned properly you can certainly run more power up top safely.

For example, I am running a Flex Fuel tune on my Si using the stock clutch. I have to limit torque down low, but am able to max out the factory turbo and achieve MBT without it slipping up top. It all has to do with how the tune is written in regards to how much torque is delivered. The same techniques can be used to protect the CVT and achieve higher top end power. (@dallasjhawk I know this is not news to you)
haha yeah I hear ya man. I was just trying be funny and keep it lighthearted I promise. But yeah, being safe with the tq while running higher boost is a must

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag

Exactly this. It's all about torque. Similarly, the CVT can only handle so much torque before it starts scoring the metal belt. It can spin at the rates being asked of it, regardless of horsepower. This is why the tunes have torque caps for the CVT, just like the stock clutch.

Like a tire that can handle extreme speeds, but when twisted from 1000 lbf of torque rips it apart. Though I imagine a better transmission fluid and cooler might be necessary for long term use.

Still, it's funny to even consider running 300hp+ on an automatic 4 cylinder, even if it's viable. With a mechanical transmission you're looking at replacing a stock torque converter fairly often if it's not designed for it, just like the CVT, there's just no upgrade path for the CVT.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This kit will make from 330-350hp low boost on the smaller option turbo and not require fueling, the larger turbos are intened for the people who want to make 400 plus and will require an addtional fuel kit/options which we are working on. We are also working on a rod piston package which the larger turbo options over 400hp guys will require. The kits will also have a 300 cell cat option, for those who want to keep a cat.

This is a turbo kit, not an upgraded stock location turbocharger. This is a kit using one of the best turbos on the market (Garrett) and is intended for people who want to make bigger power than a stock location turbo can handle. We have tested stock replacement turbos, thus the reasoning for going with a full big turbo kit. Our turbo kit is not comparable to any other companies' stock replacement that may be offered.

Yes, horsepower will increase and the powerband/torque curve will shift to the right. Please check out our Type-R turbo swap data, as this will be similar to the smaller turbo option on our kit that we ran on our stock fuel stock motor car.
You you say fuel kit you talking about e85? I hope not since I cant get it in my area only 91 :( either way think I would still do the larger turbo to make all the power I can

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
You you say fuel kit you talking about e85? I hope not since I cant get it in my area only 91 :( either way think I would still do the larger turbo to make all the power I can
Fuel kit in the sense of additional gas into the motor. Not an e85 kit. The larger turbos will force more air in the engine then the Stock system can keep up with.

ani2017

First Name
Ani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
So this turbo kit isn’t a drop in turbo. How much work would have to be done to get it to fit? Is it reversible?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So this turbo kit isn’t a drop in turbo. How much work would have to be done to get it to fit? Is it reversible?
the Whole kit is required to drop the turbo in. I believe it's reversible. this would most likely be a day job with a friend involved.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
My question for the CVT users, how would it react to the new power band in partial throttle.

blackonblackSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si 2015ex 2012 Dodge Avenger
Country flag
I'm in for the engine build kit.... I'll be looking for 400+ hp in the future!
Sponsored