1.5T PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
is it 20% off the price they show or is it already 20% off?
The base kit is $1799 + the turbo. The Sale price (20%) is $1439.99 + the turbo

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results upload_2018-11-30_13-53-39
Sponsored

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
The base kit is $1799 + the turbo. The Sale price (20%) is $1439.99 + the turbo

upload_2018-11-30_13-53-39.png
oh i thought it would be minus 600. i dont need to be buying these things anyway its very tempting. ill wait and see if honda makes a gen11 coupe if not ill go all out on this one.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
oh i thought it would be minus 600. i dont need to be buying these things anyway its very tempting. ill wait and see if honda makes a gen11 coupe if not ill go all out on this one.
yeah, they discount the PRL made stuff but not the turbo from Garrett it appears. Still if I was not on a cvt, Id do this in heartbeat at that price. The power will be ridiculous!

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Woooo custom tunes required from everyone lol

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
Anyone get the GTX2860 Gen 2? Looking forward to those sweet before and after dyno numbers! Also looking forward to feedback on how the low end grunt is with that turbo.
Yessir I got the gtx2860r will be a bit before I have numbers. Installing over the winter then driving to IMW to get tuned

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Says who I'll be driving down to Derek untuned on a basemap to get tuned in person and it's a big turbo upgrade who the hell would run on a basemap and not custom tune lol
You’d be suprised to how many people would lol seen it time and time again

Coolnezzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I went ahead and began installing my kit today, which I picked up with the GTX2860R GEN2 turbo option. This may be the most mechanically challenging task I've done so far and I have been taking my time + documenting the process as best as I could.

Before the carnage began.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results hDOrJI3

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results M0OTgJz

Front pipe removed.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results tNOZyIY

Front pipe comparison.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results YIis4Ak

Stupid turbo inlet pipe, look at this garbage. This was a pretty big pain to remove, mostly cause I was lazy and didn't take out the radiator support bracket to make things easier to get to. I will likely do this tomorrow morning before re-assembly to make things easier.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results pgVIaGb

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results rFo3x4B

After removing the turbo inlet pipe.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results L9E03QW

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results qubPfI4

Down pipe almost ready to come out. I managed to pull 1 stud completely out and the other stud partially out followed by stripping the threads on the end of it + the nut. The other 2 bolts came out without issue, PB blaster was used during this process but I likely didn't let it sit long enough.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results Iut64Ur

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results mrljo0F

Down pipe out. You can see the stripped threads on the stud and how it's been partially removed from the turbo.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results fQBvwnr

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results v2kBDE6

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results jhwV8LF

Down pipe comparison with the new piece.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results rkDCvEq

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results zrf4xUa

Pile of parts ready to go on.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results 5ZvgFcx

Soon.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results 5bGg4k

Stock turbo is out.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results umGMvb8

Stock turbo comparison.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results xvVtDCf

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results TZ2ijfo

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results rhCdSxv

Exhaust inlet flange.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results kSPtO6e

Flange bolted to the head with new gasket in place behind.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results eAXXref

So either the threads were not tapped with a tool that still had life left or I received the incorrect bolts from PRL. This is as far as they thread in, this is the oil outlet flange which attaches to the turbo itself. I am waiting to hear back from PRL but also will just go and get a tap in the morning. The parts sheet says they are supposed to be m8 x 1.25 x 20mm 10.9 black oxide. Those don't look black to me but otherwise the size looks correct, my guess is shitty tap on the machine at Garrett that day + not the appropriate bolts?
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results vA6JKsm

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results nyqTyVw

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results u7FCsJa

Oil line fittings, are they supposed to just thread in until they stop? This picture is fully tight.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results sBYGLa5

All fittings installed aside from the oil outlet flange, which is just loosely hanging on here.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results mQJp1Uu

Wastegate actuator installed.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results tQ7mFUk

Done for the night. I need to figure out the situation with the bolts/threads on the turbo oil outlet flange before I can re-assemble, I will likely go get a tap in the morning to chase the threads on the turbo and also verify that I have the correct bolts for the flange.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T Civic Bolt-On Big Turbo Kit Upgrade Results KRsHHRE

For tuning, I am working with DRob and have a base map ready to apply as soon as I have everything buttoned up. I will be using a Turbosmart Boost Tee manual boost controller (with the little ball/spring removed to prevent boost spikes) and will be starting off running wastegate pressure for boost while I do all of the initial logging for DRob.

Last edited:

Coolnezzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So either the threads were not tapped with a tool that still had life left or I received the incorrect bolts from PRL. This is as far as they thread in, this is the oil outlet flange which attaches to the turbo itself. I am waiting to hear back from PRL but also will just go and get a tap in the morning. The parts sheet says they are supposed to be m8 x 1.25 x 20mm 10.9 black oxide. Those don't look black to me but otherwise the size looks correct, my guess is shitty tap on the machine at Garrett that day + not the appropriate bolts?
As an update to the above, Eric @ PRL got back to me this morning and mentioned that Garrett appears to have not chased the threads after casting the turbine housing so I will be on the hunt for an M8x1.25-20mm tap today and will provide an update later on!

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Can't wait for those videos :bow:
Sponsored